The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 03:59:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West  (Read 372 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:49:21 am »

The novel is a political, social, and ethical commentary on the nature of good and evil and takes place in The Land of Oz, in the years leading to Dorothy's arrival. The story centers on Elphaba, the misunderstood green-skinned girl who grows up to become the notorious Wicked Witch of the West. Gregory Maguire fashioned the name of Elphaba /ˈɛlfəbə/ from the initials of Lyman Frank Baum, L-F-B. The story is divided into five different sections based on the plot location. There is also a prologue where Elphaba is spying on Dorothy and her friends, hearing their gossip about her.
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 11:51:13 am »

I have this and keep starting it... But I just can't get in to it... Maybe I'm trying to compare it to the musical too much?  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 11:51:47 am »

I've read the whole series before and I love it, so with no new books kicking about my house I decided to restart it, starting with this.

I have seen the show and I really liked it, but it seems most people have seen the show and not read the book and don't realise just how vastly different they are and all I can say is that as good as the show is, the book is faaaaaar superior and should definitely be read before you see the show (of after, if you have to).
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 11:53:34 am »

I have this and keep starting it... But I just can't get in to it... Maybe I'm trying to compare it to the musical too much?  Undecided

Don't. That's the only thing I can say. They are too different. The book is better and far more adult themed than the show is, but if you've seen the show first and are a fan of it then it will probably be hard to shake that off when reading because they are essentially two different entities. It'll be worth getting through though and reading the other ones too. They really are awesome.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 11:54:41 am »

I have it (and all the others) on my shelf as yet unread - so many books, so little time! I will read it at some point  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 11:56:14 am »

Don't. That's the only thing I can say. They are too different. The book is better and far more adult themed than the show is, but if you've seen the show first and are a fan of it then it will probably be hard to shake that off when reading because they are essentially two different entities. It'll be worth getting through though and reading the other ones too. They really are awesome.

Ooh okay... I'll add it to my to read pile... I'm not exactly a massive fan of the musical. I don't like it as much as a lot of people do, I prefer Les Mis, Billy Elliot and Matilda Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 12:01:48 pm »

It is definitely a series worth getting stuck in to, and that goes to you both. I demand you start Tongue

Admittedly, the third book isn't as good, but it's by no means bad. It was probably more of a personal thing for me as I wasn't as keen on a lot of the characters, but most others I know who have read it have really enjoyed it.
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 12:07:39 pm »

I will... When I've finished HP4, Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac, About a Girl and Shroud of Sorrow Wink  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 09:28:37 pm »

I loved this book. It's hard to discuss without talking about the others because the series as a whole is amazing (we really should get the other threads set up), but if you haven't read this already then I highly recommend it. Seriously, its a fantastic read.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 03:58:15 pm »

I'm a massive fan of the musical. I've seen it a ridiculous 9 times. Maybe that's my problem, because although I got about half way through this I never really got into it and never finished it (rare for me).
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Sparky
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Nine
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 01:16:02 pm »

I'm a massive fan of the musical. I've seen it a ridiculous 9 times. Maybe that's my problem, because although I got about half way through this I never really got into it and never finished it (rare for me).

The show is awesome, so I totally get your nine visits. The book is massively different, but I do think it is better. You should try and get through it again.
Report Spam   Logged
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 01:45:42 pm »

The show is awesome, so I totally get your nine visits. The book is massively different, but I do think it is better. You should try and get through it again.

Perhaps I'll try one day! I've just got so many other books on the go atm Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 10:18:33 am »

I read this years ago and couldn't put it down. I've got the sequels but never got through them. I should get on that.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 10:12:38 am »

I started this again this week. Wanted to do them all again before I finally read the last one. I've only got a couple chapters in so far but I'd forgotten how good it is!
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: