The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 09:53:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

A Female Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Female Doctor  (Read 447 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: August 08, 2013, 09:39:01 pm »

There is always lots of talk about this around regen time, and it seems to be that it is always being more seriously considered, but would you want the Doctor to be a woman?

Personally, I really wouldn't. I know that it is (now) established that Timelords can change gender, but the character of the Doctor is a man and I think he should stay as one. Likewise, I would never want a female Master or male Rani. Just because they can, it doesn't mean they should.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 09:57:32 pm »

I'm going to be serious for a moment. (Savor the flavor, because it doesn't happen often)

A female Doctor would be completely fine. But it would need to be done right. My issue is that they would try to make it a point every episode to say "Yeah shes female, but she's the still the Doctor!" "Yeah shes female, but she's the still the Doctor!" "Yeah shes female, but she's the still the Doctor!" "Yeah shes female, but she's the still the Doctor!" "Yeah shes female, but she's the still the Doctor!" "Yeah shes female, but she's the still the Doctor!" "Yeah shes female, but she's the still the Doctor!" "Yeah shes female, but she's the still the Doctor!" "Yeah shes female, but she's the still the Doctor!" "Yeah shes female, but she's the still the Doctor!" "Yeah shes female, but she's the still the Doctor!" "Yeah shes female, but she's the still the Doctor!" Finale: "Yeah shes female, but she's the still the Doctor!"

If it could just *be*, then it would be fine. But it wouldn't. They would draw attention to it too much, and I fear it would take away from the show.
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 10:50:28 pm »

I wouldn't particularly want it.  I agree with PP, the Doctor's a male character.  The Corsair is the only Time Lord it's ever been suggested changed gender, and maybe that's because s/he psychologically had mixed gender.  The Doctor has never seemed to.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see a cool Time Lady (if they could get round the "last of the Time Lords" issue) but not as the Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 11:15:41 pm »

This is going to be a bit all over the place because I'm not totally sure where I stand on this, so I hope it makes some kind of sense.

I'm not mad keen on the idea, but I'd give it a chance. However, I wouldn't want it done just because it ticks a box or whatever. I'd only be ok with it if the best person for the job at the time was a woman, because to me that is the only qualification for any job - that you are the best person for it. And like Icey I wouldn't want an issue made of it.

I'm not overly sure why some people really seem to push for it though - yes we need more awesome female characters in sci-fi/fantasy (well all genres really) but don't take them away from the men - create some kick-ass new female characters - that's what I want to see.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 12:21:09 am »

I honestly don't think they could pull it off without it seeming like it was a gimmick. No matter how subtle and how great the story, it would always seem like a stunt. I'd rather it was always a guy. I don't care about the race, but it should always be a guy. And British.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 01:33:02 pm »

Nope, don't want it. The Doctor is a man and should stay a man. I think people calling for a woman are just people looking to tick boxes. It's not going to make the show any better. It's the same as when they say there should be a black Doctor. Why should there be? I'd rather have the best actor in the role who just happens to be black, than having the best black actor in the role, who isn't the best overall, just to appease people who want to see all avenues covered. Whoever is best suited to the role should always get the job, but the sex should always remain male.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 02:39:39 pm »

Nope, don't want it. The Doctor is a man and should stay a man. I think people calling for a woman are just people looking to tick boxes. It's not going to make the show any better. It's the same as when they say there should be a black Doctor. Why should there be? I'd rather have the best actor in the role who just happens to be black, than having the best black actor in the role, who isn't the best overall, just to appease people who want to see all avenues covered. Whoever is best suited to the role should always get the job, but the sex should always remain male.

Spot on! This job, or any other, should not be given on the basis of ticking boxes. It should go to the best man for the role, but it should always be a man.
Report Spam   Logged

Sparky
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Nine
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 11:55:01 am »

I hope it never happens. I don't want to see a woman as the Doctor. I don't think I would ever take it as seriously because it would always seem like a gimmick
Report Spam   Logged
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 04:06:37 pm »

Being female, a lot of people assume that I would like The Doctor to regenerate into a woman.  But I really, really wouldn't want that.  The Doctor is a man - always has been and always should be.  Just like I wouldn't want them to suddenly make a classic female character a man, I don't think that The Doctor should be a woman.  I agree with the comments above that it would just serve to 'tick a box'.  I think it would be far more interesting to introduce a new female time lord who is a strong character and a match for The Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Simone
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Matt Smith/Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Clara/Ace

View Profile
100 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 01:28:53 pm »

I think putting a woman in the role would only serve to tick boxes. While the actress may be fantastic, I think most people just wouldn't take it seriously and no matter how good the writing and the stories and the acting, it would just end up being a bad move for the show. He has always been a man and I think he always should be.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: