The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 10:28:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Dislike for River Song

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dislike for River Song  (Read 2678 times)
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« on: August 31, 2010, 12:35:28 am »

She was rude and obnoxious to the tenth Doctor, she knows more than the audience and she reeks of Mary Sue, discuss  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
BlueRose

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 01:21:21 am »

She was rude and obnoxious to the tenth Doctor, she knows more than the audience and she reeks of Mary Sue, discuss  Grin

Utterly and passionately agreed. One of the worst characters to be created in the entire series since the new series came about IMHO.
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:25:27 am »

River Song... when she first came out in S4, I thought- ok, as long as it's a one off, becuase by killing her off at the end of Forest of the Dead, I thought she'd never be back!

But, now... I mean don't get me wrong, I don't mind her in a way, but most of the time I find her really annoying. And in my opinion the thought of her returning for S6 doesn't appeal to me, but I want to know what they do for this whole storyline of hers! A while back too when there was talk of her becoming a full time companion I was rather cheesed off, like in the poll a while ago, I prefer the story all timey wimey!
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Truthseeker013
Hatchling

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Level 1 First Post
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 12:37:49 pm »

Hi, I'm new here, but a fan of the series since '79.

When I first saw River's character, my immediate thought was that she was an adaptation of Bernice Summerfield from the New Adventures.
Report Spam   Logged
WireButterfly
Hatchling

View Profile
Level 2 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 01:48:24 pm »

Shocked

I like River Song!

At first, when she was encroaching on Donna's screen time, I wasn't too happy about her. But I like the mystery surrounding her, Moff has given us a giant tease in the shape of Alex Kingston, and her chemistry with Eleven is volcanic.
Report Spam   Logged
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 01:53:05 pm »

I can see all sides with this to be honest. I love the character, the way she is played, her mystery etc. But I aint massively keen on the way that she is all knowing and knows more than everyone else. I think that is mainly down to be being nosey and wanting to know everything though.

Is positivity even allowed in here? Or is it for dislikers only?
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 02:00:13 pm »

Well our rules state all opinions are welcome and valid so I don't see why not  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 02:02:26 pm »

I know that, but what I mean is that if this is a thread for people who dislike the character to come in and talk about why, then the people who dont like her should have a 'like River' thread. It works both ways then, because the appreciation thread people wouldnt want people going in there being a neg, and vice versa. Though im not sure I am making much sense
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 02:15:09 pm »

No you're right it does make sense - although it does slightly depend how the opposing view is put across - it could either be done in a 'can I just say that actually I like this character' way which should be fine or a deliberately provocative/argumentative way which is not.

Maybe we should leave this one for the dislikers though  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 03:06:23 pm »

Shocked Okay...who stole my post? Shocked Was it because I was saying nice things about River?  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
BlueRose

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 03:09:35 pm »

I know that, but what I mean is that if this is a thread for people who dislike the character to come in and talk about why, then the people who dont like her should have a 'like River' thread. It works both ways then, because the appreciation thread people wouldnt want people going in there being a neg, and vice versa. Though im not sure I am making much sense

No, that makes perfect sense. I wouldn't want someone to come in with negativity on a like thread either. Starting a River Song like thread wouldn't be unreasonable, then people who want to know who else likes her can find out, make new friends, et cetera.

While the rest of us who have hated her since her conception can unite in our misery. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Wink
Report Spam   Logged
BlueRose

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 03:13:57 pm »

Hi, I'm new here, but a fan of the series since '79.

When I first saw River's character, my immediate thought was that she was an adaptation of Bernice Summerfield from the New Adventures.

<mod_cap_off>

<extremely_blunt_rant>

But Benny had charisma and a personality, while River Song is mostly a smarmy, smug 2D plot device. The only thing I actually liked her in was shooting a fez. And c'mon, can you Mary Sue her any further than a Dalek actually fearing her, or knowing Gallifreyan? The Daleks fear the Doctor and that's IT. I sincerely wish that idiot Moff would stop heaping speshul powers on her and cramming her down our throats. And don't get me started on the wifey crap, which is probably the biggest shark jump since the perky ponytailed, perfect eyelinered "daughter" who could jump through lasers.

</extremely_blunt_rant>

<mod_cap_on>

As always, please to be remembering that my views on the char do not reflect upon my views of the people who like her and vise versa. I have friends who adore her and we just...agree to disagree. It's cool. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
emerald567
Hatchling

View Profile WWW
Webmaster Second year Anniversary Multiple Badge Holder
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 02:21:50 am »

But Benny had charisma and a personality, while River Song is mostly a smarmy, smug 2D plot device. The only thing I actually liked her in was shooting a fez. And c'mon, can you Mary Sue her any further than a Dalek actually fearing her, or knowing Gallifreyan? The Daleks fear the Doctor and that's IT. I sincerely wish that idiot Moff would stop heaping speshul powers on her and cramming her down our throats. And don't get me started on the wifey crap, which is probably the biggest shark jump since the perky ponytailed, perfect eyelinered "daughter" who could jump through lasers.

Yes. All of this. I would also add that I thought she looked too old for Ten (and I'm sorry Alex Kingston- I love you as an actress and think you are lovely) but she looks absolutely ridiculous and hideous with Eleven!
Report Spam   Logged

Beth
emerald567
Digallifreya
Telly Addict
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Ten!
Favourite Companion: Martha

Doctor Who RPer & incurable romantic, animal lover

View Profile WWW
Level 3 Webmaster Second year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 06:33:58 pm »

As this is a thread to bluntly express our dislike for River Song, let me count the ways in which to express my hate!
When she appeared along the 10th Doctor I was kind of indiferent to the char, I found her a tiny bit obnoxious & yes, rude but that was all...
But since her reappearance in S5... Oh my! I absolutely hate her...
Power to mature women & all that, I'm no spring chicken myself but seriously this 'old hag' suddenly turned all Femme Fatale/Lara Croft & it really looks like her char is the ultimate Mary Sue.
She knows ALL about the Doctor, much more than he does, pilots the TARDIS better, makes Daleks beg, something not even the Doctor has achieved, is also apparently irresistible & 'sexy' (or so they make us believe), dishes out the most annoying catchphrases & frankly looks ridiculous flirting with Eleven as she looks like his young granny (horrible hair btw)... Anyway, that's just the start of why I dislike her with such intensity...
The only way that hideous char can redeem herself is by turning out to be a total baddie or something horrondeous &/or die a terrible death so we never have to see her again.
If Moffat decides to make her the 'wifey' lord have mercy on his soul...
That would be just about the worst possible outcome ever..,
(sorry about any typos, writing on public transport on a phone)
Report Spam   Logged
BlueRose

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 06:56:22 pm »

As this is a thread to bluntly express our dislike for River Song, let me count the ways in which to express my hate!
When she appeared along the 10th Doctor I was kind of indiferent to the char, I found her a tiny bit obnoxious & yes, rude but that was all...
But since her reappearance in S5... Oh my! I absolutely hate her...
Power to mature women & all that, I'm no spring chicken myself but seriously this 'old hag' suddenly turned all Femme Fatale/Lara Croft & it really looks like her char is the ultimate Mary Sue.
She knows ALL about the Doctor, much more than he does, pilots the TARDIS better, makes Daleks beg, something not even the Doctor has achieved, is also apparently irresistible & 'sexy' (or so they make us believe), dishes out the most annoying catchphrases & frankly looks ridiculous flirting with Eleven as she looks like his young granny (horrible hair btw)... Anyway, that's just the start of why I dislike her with such intensity...
The only way that hideous char can redeem herself is by turning out to be a total baddie or something horrondeous &/or die a terrible death so we never have to see her again.
If Moffat decides to make her the 'wifey' lord have mercy on his soul...
That would be just about the worst possible outcome ever..,
(sorry about any typos, writing on public transport on a phone)

You pretty much summed up the remainder of my thoughts. I have nothing else to add to this except I'm soooo glad I'm not alone...
Report Spam   Logged
ciaramil
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Ten
Favourite Companion: Rose Tyler

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 08:41:50 pm »

Thank you to everyone who has made points about River being obnoxious and such like, good to know there are some people who agree with me! And yes, I too agree that it's horrible that she knows more than the Doctor. I mean what the heck is that about? It's almost as if the Moff is trying to annoy all of us to the deepest pits of hell! (No offence Moff) But seriously, the Doctor teaching her how to fly the Tardis and giving her a sonic screwdriver? And she can read Gallifreyan? Now that's going too far. In "Forest Of The Dead" I didn't really like her anyway cos she was already quite obnoxious. I was actually quite pleased when she died and I thought that would be the end of it.... Unfortunately not... Obviously not... :|
Report Spam   Logged

"Even if I change it still feels like dying. Everything I am dies. Some new man goes sauntering away... And I'm dead." ~ Tenth Doctor (End of Time)
Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 11:18:03 pm »

I think it's bloody funny that you all use the phrase 'Mary Sue' when I haven't got a smeg what you're all on about.

It's funny to me that most people who hate her seem to be certain women getting their knickers in a knot.

Just saying....Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 11:18:41 pm »

Oh, and it's funny that in this very site's poll, 75% of people want her to come back......
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 11:20:14 pm »

We do have a thread for River lovers as well in this section, just to counter balance Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 11:25:03 pm »

In fairness this thread is for people who specifically dislike the character. I personally think she is great but it's fair game in this thread
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: