The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 03:22:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Dislike for River Song

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dislike for River Song  (Read 2671 times)
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 11:38:05 pm »

I think it's bloody funny that you all use the phrase 'Mary Sue' when I haven't got a smeg what you're all on about.

It's funny to me that most people who hate her seem to be certain women getting their knickers in a knot.

Just saying....Smiley

purely for reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 11:43:13 pm »

People like characters, people don't like characters, this happens, i like Adric after all!  I created this thread to see if I was alone in my dislike and reasons for dislike of the character.  My knickers are not twisted, I adore many of the female characters in the show, Romana (both) is a favoruite of mine.  One of my best friends on Twitter is a River lover, as ever, Doctor Who fans always have more common ground than different, but the differences get picked up on more easily  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 11:44:10 pm »

My bad, I thought the title of this forum was 'character appreciation'.  But I take your point. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 11:45:07 pm »

Yeah, I did think that when I started the thread, I may start a sub topic, I'm new to this lark!  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 11:47:23 pm »

I couldnt think of a better name is the honest answer to that Grin

Because we want everyone to have their say without anyone being told to do one, or be told their wrong, the idea was put forward to have two sides to this place, so that people could appreciate a character in peace without people going 'He is a dick' 'I hate her' etc and likewise for people to come and have a place to rant about people they dont like without the lovers coming in and saying they are wrong to dislike, not real fans etc.

We try to promote harmony, but failing that we just drug your juice with uppers Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 12:06:47 am »

I should start by saying I have written in River Love as there are aspects of her that I really like. But there are problems also. She is, essentially, a one trick pony. Once you get rid of the mystery, she's just another companion. And they will have to get rid of the mystery soon or else its going to be really irritating that every time she pops up she simply winks and goes 'Oh sorry sweetie must dash...Spoilers' - OK - we get it! 
Report Spam   Logged

sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 12:18:45 am »

Oh you so know that she will have got that phrase from The Doctor too - bet he says it within minutes of meeting her for the first time in her timeline!  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 12:26:16 am »

Her character is in danger of falling into the Turlough Trap. Once Turlough decided not to kill the Doctor he was, really, a busted flush. It is the same with River unless the Moff is very very careful - once we know how they met, we know how she dies - I mean what is there in between after TPO/TBB that is of real substance to tell? Unless they have a kid.... oh hang on, back to the River Love thread Wink
Report Spam   Logged

sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 12:28:25 am »

Humans and Time Lords cannot mate!!!!   It would surely be like me trying to mate with a fish, albeit one with the correct parts!
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 12:30:06 am »

Unless of course she doesnt die. Some are speculating that the Library will be rewritten to never have happened. It was even speculated on here somewhere

As for Turlough, urgh!! Nuff said
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 12:49:35 am »

What worried me was how long it took me to think of female characters I respected in Sci-Fi, says volumes about the genre.  River could have been great, but it's always hard for the audience when a character knows more than them who isn't the main focus point.
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2010, 02:26:11 pm »

I think it's bloody funny that you all use the phrase 'Mary Sue' when I haven't got a smeg what you're all on about.

It's funny to me that most people who hate her seem to be certain women getting their knickers in a knot.

Just saying....Smiley

I'm bisexual, so stop generalizing and complaining about threads which are very clearly marked and obviously against your personal opinion.

Consider this your first warning.
Report Spam   Logged
BlueRose

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2010, 02:27:00 pm »

Humans and Time Lords cannot mate!!!!   It would surely be like me trying to mate with a fish, albeit one with the correct parts!

Thanks to RTD, we know that's not true...we don't know whether or not they can *procreate* however, which i something utterly different.
Report Spam   Logged
BlueRose

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 02:28:22 pm »

People like characters, people don't like characters, this happens, i like Adric after all!  I created this thread to see if I was alone in my dislike and reasons for dislike of the character.  My knickers are not twisted, I adore many of the female characters in the show, Romana (both) is a favoruite of mine.  One of my best friends on Twitter is a River lover, as ever, Doctor Who fans always have more common ground than different, but the differences get picked up on more easily  Grin

We probably are thinking of the same person. XD But I do know people who like her and while I vehemently disagree with their take on her, it doesn't ruin my life or make me put on black eyeliner and write emo poetry online or anything...
Report Spam   Logged
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 02:34:38 pm »

We probably are thinking of the same person. XD But I do know people who like her and while I vehemently disagree with their take on her, it doesn't ruin my life or make me put on black eyeliner and write emo poetry online or anything...

Thats actually one of my favourite past times and I love the character Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Digallifreya
Telly Addict
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Ten!
Favourite Companion: Martha

Doctor Who RPer & incurable romantic, animal lover

View Profile WWW
Level 3 Webmaster Second year Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 04:21:01 pm »

I agree again, that is a very simplistic statement... She's a woman, so am I, therefore I hate her?! Uh... WRONG! I don't hate other female DW characters, I don't hate all of those females who flirt with the Doctor, I just find her absurd, Mary Sue-ish & absolutely irritating... AND I won't be going to the 'River Love' thread to get abusive & personal with her supporters...

Just saying....Smiley

I'm bisexual, so stop generalizing and complaining about threads which are very clearly marked and obviously against your personal opinion.

Consider this your first warning.
Report Spam   Logged
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 04:21:15 pm »

Humans and Time Lords cannot mate!!!!   It would surely be like me trying to mate with a fish, albeit one with the correct parts!

Thanks to RTD, we know that's not true...we don't know whether or not they can *procreate* however, which i something utterly different.

I thought 8 said that his mother was half human?
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 06:43:51 pm »

I apologise that my comment caused offence, I can see how it came across as sexist.  Also, I hadn't seen the 'River Love' when I posted so hence why it was in this thread. 

However, I would point out that in the 'love' threads for both Rory and River, it seems some people, particularly mods, can't make comments without passing some negative remarks towards S5 and/or the production staff.  And, I know that other people are feeling the same way.  Surely, they are being just as guilty as I was?

So, again, I apologise I 'gatecrashed' this thread & let my frustration get the better of me, however, I don't think some people feel they can be quite as open with their love for all things S5 because of that they would like to be because of the regime, shall we say.

Anyway, apologies for going off topic. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 06:56:42 pm »

With the individual character threads, whether they be one for liking or disliking a character, people can say what they like as long as it is within the parameters of the thread itself. In the Rory thread, someone (I dont remember who off the top of my head) said they like Rory, despite not liking the series as a whole. The reason the comment went by without mention is because it stuck within the rules of the thread. They were being positive about the character in question. If there are characters people feel they dislike, then by all means feel free to start a thread discussing that, and clearly naming it so that people know what the thread is about, same as with the threads for admiration and whatnot.

Whistler, please dont think this post is aimed solely at you, it is just a reminder as a whole for everyone. As for your comment about series 5, it is a fair point and as yet we only have threads in the main DW section for general discussion. If you want to start a thread for people to chat about that particular series, or any series for that matter, in a positive light, then please feel free to start one and the same rules will apply there about negativity in the thread. Just mark it clearly so that people know that it is a no neg zone and if people dont adhere to that then the mods will step in. Im sure you are not alone and many people would contribute Smiley

I hope this clears things up for everyone Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 06:59:36 pm »

Actually after a conversation I had with someone on Twitter today I was going to start one myself - so Whistler do you want to do it or shall I?  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: