The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 09:24:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Dislike for River Song

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dislike for River Song  (Read 2675 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 07:03:59 pm »

Ive also changed the name and description of the subforum so that it is clearer to people that some threads may be negative as apposed to just positive Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 08:00:46 pm »

Actually after a conversation I had with someone on Twitter today I was going to start one myself - so Whistler do you want to do it or shall I?  Smiley

I'll start it if you like Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 08:03:18 pm »

Actually after a conversation I had with someone on Twitter today I was going to start one myself - so Whistler do you want to do it or shall I?  Smiley

I'll start it if you like Smiley

Ok cool  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2010, 08:17:20 pm »

Sorry for taking this thread completely off topic for a few posts there - we've finished now so we'll leave you in peace  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
fandamnation
Hatchling

View Profile
Level 2 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2010, 05:26:14 pm »

I really didn't like River Song either, and it's like it was mentioned earlier, she reeked of Mary Sue.

I think part of the problem is the audience was expected to accept - okay, we've had so many years of coming to terms with this all powerful alien 'man' who can do all these incredible things, but in five minutes we are supposed to accept that he fell completely for this woman in the future, and okay now she knows just as much and even more than he does. She can fly the TARDIS (and no one can do that), she knows his real name etc etc.

There was no slow build, no foreshadowing. She just came out of nowhere. Rose and Donna and Martha built up their characters and became matches for the doctor after a long time, and lots of character building for both them and the audience.

This woman comes in and it's like, "Well, you just have to accept that she's a special snowflake."

No thanks.

And P.S.  stop saying Spoilers. It's not cute.
Report Spam   Logged
Digallifreya
Telly Addict
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Ten!
Favourite Companion: Martha

Doctor Who RPer & incurable romantic, animal lover

View Profile WWW
Level 3 Webmaster Second year Anniversary
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2010, 09:11:38 am »

I think part of the problem is the audience was expected to accept - okay, we've had so many years of coming to terms with this all powerful alien 'man' who can do all these incredible things, but in five minutes we are supposed to accept that he fell completely for this woman in the future, and okay now she knows just as much and even more than he does. She can fly the TARDIS (and no one can do that), she knows his real name etc etc.
There was no slow build, no foreshadowing. She just came out of nowhere. Rose and Donna and Martha built up their characters and became matches for the doctor after a long time, and lots of character building for both them and the audience.
This woman comes in and it's like, "Well, you just have to accept that she's a special snowflake."
No thanks.
And P.S.  stop saying Spoilers. It's not cute.

Agreed, agreed, agreed.... with EVERYTHING!

Yes, that 'spoilers' catchphrase is beyond annoying...

AND may I add.... Lots of River lovers seem to think that the only people who hate her are 'women in love with 10th'

WRONG again! First of all, yes, I love ten but he wasn't even romantically involved with her, if anything it would have been Eleven or some other regen and believe me... she can keep eleven for all I care, no skin off my nose, Why would I be jealous?

Second of all, as I said before, there have been other flirty and MUCH more attractive women with the Doctor & I have NO problem with them...

Lady Christina being one of them.... MUCH hotter than River, snogged Ten, yet I have no problem with her... or even Pompadour, although I know some didn't like that episode, she was loads more attractive than RS and Ten adored her...

How come I'm not jealous of them then?

Because I don't find their chars annoying, they weren't trying to upstage the Doctor & didn't have ridiculous catchphrases...

So that theory about 'women hating River because they are jealous of her with Ten?' Give me a break!

Report Spam   Logged
BlueRose

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2010, 06:14:58 pm »

So, again, I apologise I 'gatecrashed' this thread & let my frustration get the better of me, however, I don't think some people feel they can be quite as open with their love for all things S5 because of that they would like to be because of the regime, shall we say.

There is no regime; there is only Zuul.

Cheesy

Seriously, the mod team is made up of widely varied opinions about the classic, RTD, and Moffat eras of Doctor Who. We're not monolithic. I've also stated time and time again that personal opinions, including mine, bear no ill will nor malice towards people who express the opposite. We want people to feel free to express how they feel, good or bad, and have their happy zone of squee. This is why separate threads were started.

I don't recall anyone trolling threads with dislike. I certainly didn't. I voiced a liking for Rory even though I don't like S5--period, nothing else, no whining, name calling, anything. Did I go on and on about why I didn't like it? No, I saved that for the appropriate thread.

I feel for people who are feeling their squees harshed on S5; I feel similarly in certain places in expressing my squee for RTD and the Ninth and Tenth Doctors. There's no reason why ANYONE should feel the need to censor their opinion, but they shouldn't get personal with others about it too. Whether or not someone likes or dislikes a particular character has nothing to do with their gender, sexuality, race, creed, or what-have-you--and they shouldn't have it intimated to them that it has any bearing on it, either. It's kinda rude, rather like me saying something stupid like "The only people who like Amy are young boys who like women who wear short skirts." I'd never say that around here, and it's passing a judgment on others versus just the character alone.

Follow? Smiley

Okay, returning to the original topic of the thread...I deeply miss the days when I felt like I could watch smart, adult scifi, family friendly or not, that had decent female characters. I've felt that River has been a waste of space since she first showed up, and any chance to redeem her character has been lost for the most part--which is a crying shame. But to say that a character is either important or strong just because she's got a "significant relationship" with a male is the most sexist crap you can foist on me beyond "Here's a companion, you have to like her because she's in a short skirt."

But I'll save more on that for the "Dislike Amy" thread.
Report Spam   Logged
BlueRose

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2010, 04:07:42 pm »

I'm curious to know if this char has negatively impacted people's watching of the new new series. I know it has mine...
Report Spam   Logged
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2010, 11:32:30 pm »

I'd be more positive about series 6 without her, for sure, even with a companion I am not keen on and the married couple in the TARDIS that doesn't quite gel for me.  *shrugs shoulders*.  After all these years it's rubbish to feel this way, I don't want to, but to have a "strong" female character who's "strength" is defined by a yet unseen relationship with the lead male rubs me up the wrong way *sighs*
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
BlueRose

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2010, 10:07:54 pm »

I'd be more positive about series 6 without her, for sure, even with a companion I am not keen on and the married couple in the TARDIS that doesn't quite gel for me.  *shrugs shoulders*.  After all these years it's rubbish to feel this way, I don't want to, but to have a "strong" female character who's "strength" is defined by a yet unseen relationship with the lead male rubs me up the wrong way *sighs*

I'm completely with you.

I sincerely hope her char is redeemed and enough with this wifey nonsense.
Report Spam   Logged
BlueRose

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2010, 03:24:06 pm »

If she goes full time, that will be the best way to make sure I don't bother watching the show for even longer than planned. At least I plan to watch Gaiman's ep next season but that's it.
Report Spam   Logged
BeeSC
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: 10th
Favourite Companion: Rose/Donna

I'm Not Mean. I'm Just Not Very Nice ™

View Profile
Search Level 4 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2010, 06:27:57 pm »

I'm curious to know if this char has negatively impacted people's watching of the new new series. I know it has mine...

It certainly impacted huge on me watching the new series, I really dislike her, I'd much rather, he go back to being "Human" and marrying Joan, becoming old and dying with her.  There's something about River that just gets under my skin! I can't stand her!
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2010, 06:42:03 pm »

It certainly impacted huge on me watching the new series, I really dislike her, I'd much rather, he go back to being "Human" and marrying Joan, becoming old and dying with her.  There's something about River that just gets under my skin! I can't stand her!

Or better yet, tuning in to 10.5 and Rose in the parallel world. Aiiiee.
Report Spam   Logged
BeeSC
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: 10th
Favourite Companion: Rose/Donna

I'm Not Mean. I'm Just Not Very Nice ™

View Profile
Search Level 4 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2010, 07:29:24 pm »

Yes! Finally someone who understands!
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2010, 07:33:44 pm »

Yes! Finally someone who understands!

The irony is that I have heard people say that they're happy Moffat took over because RTD was turning the show into a soap opera. Because Reinette and River weren't of his creations obviously...

*headdesk*
Report Spam   Logged
PandoricaPond
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten/Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2010, 12:11:27 pm »

I squeed for River. I /squeed/ for River! Ugh! Reading this thread has made me remember all the reasons I hate her. She knows too much about the Doctor. She can fly his TARDIS, I mean come /on/ man! Nobody can do that!
The thing that always struck me is that she seems to /enjoy/ knowing more about the Doctor than the Doctor himself. Ok, we'd all love to be in that place. Knowing secrets about the Doctor that not even /he/ knows would be awesome. But she takes /way/ too much pleasure in it. Also, she /shot/ the /stetson/! I can't believe the b***h shot the smegging stetson. The fez I can kinda understand but the /stetson/?! It looks hot on Matt... I mean, 11. *Coughs* Anyway, yeah. I hate River. A lot. *Puts on my 'I hate River' badge.* Ok, that's enough from me. *nodnod*
Report Spam   Logged

#Doctor: Amy was frightened. I was frightened. But we survived, you know, and the relief of it... And so she kissed me. #Rory: And you kissed her back. #Doctor: No, I kissed her mouth. #Rory: Funny.

#Companions; DOCTOR!!!

#Doctor: RUN!!!

#Doctor: Bowties are cool.

#Doctor: Fezzes are cool
Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2010, 01:02:23 pm »

Humans and Time Lords cannot mate!!!!   It would surely be like me trying to mate with a fish, albeit one with the correct parts!

Thanks to RTD, we know that's not true...we don't know whether or not they can *procreate* however, which i something utterly different.

I thought 8 said that his mother was half human?
Since no-one else has answered, I shall. 8 actually said he was half human on his mother's side, showing that not only can human's and time lords... interact, they can also procreate and, if the Doctor's anything to go by, produce children with time lord physiology. (binary-cardio system ect)

So as much as I hate the idea, River and the Doctor could, if they wished, enter into a physical relationship and produce children from that relationship.

Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent there, but you get the point. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
BlueRose

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2011, 05:24:12 pm »

Anyone else dreading what they're going to do with S6 as a result of all of the River-centric crap?

I sure am. :-/
Report Spam   Logged
BlueRose

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2011, 06:00:02 pm »

I think I now hate the char even more. I didn't think this was possible but so far, they're really succeeding in ruining the show by making it Riverfest.
Report Spam   Logged
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2011, 07:34:04 pm »

Generally I aint a big fan but I was surprised by how well she was handled in the latest episode. She didnt overtake the scenes and it wasn't all about her. I usually agree with you on this subject but this time I was ok with her
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: