The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 11:47:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

BBC America Re-airing Old Episodes

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC America Re-airing Old Episodes  (Read 244 times)
LaMoonstar
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: 4th 11th
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
50 Posts Level 3 Signature
« on: January 17, 2013, 01:12:36 am »

To mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, BBC America will start showing episodes from the classic series starting on January 27th 9 pm EST. The first episode is I believe either the original pilot or "An Unearthly Child" and will be shown every Sunday up to the anniversary!

Just wanted to give the heads up.

Happy viewing, Whovians!  Azn
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:53:37 am »

That's cool. I've only ever seen one aired on TV in Ireland and that was on a UK channel after Elisabeth Sladen died. I thought they weren't allowed to air them on TV because of licensing laws or becuase the actors residuals were too costly or something.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:04:57 am »

I just tried looking online actually to find out exactly why, but can't find a single thing. Anyone know for sure why it's not?
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 06:57:21 pm »

I remember a few being on a couple of years ago - can't remember which channels, though.  They showed them as complete stories.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 07:13:17 pm »

I vaguely remember (I say vaguely as I wasn't watching DW at the time) old episodes airing on Gold before that went over to comedy & the drama split off onto Watch. Pretty much since they got their mitts on NuWho they have shown that exclusively.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 11:02:30 pm »

I'm sure there is mention of something to do with this on one of the extras. I think it has something to do with Equity
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 12:34:22 am »

I vaguely remember (I say vaguely as I wasn't watching DW at the time) old episodes airing on Gold before that went over to comedy & the drama split off onto Watch. Pretty much since they got their mitts on NuWho they have shown that exclusively.

Yes, I remember that around the late 90s/early 00s.  I taped quite a few of them, actually (back in the pre-DVD days of tape)
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 01:09:20 pm »

I have no idea which DVD this was on, but it was mentioned on one of the bonus features, I'm certain. Basically, when the earlier episodes were on, any actor who worked on TV had to be a member of equity. The rules of equity at the time meant that any actor had to be paid for repeat performances, just as they would if they were doing multiple shows on the stage. It was a way of safeguarding their pockets and making sure their work wasn't repeated without them getting paid for it. As this was part of the contracts of all actors appearing in the show and the BBC didn't want to fork out lots of money in residuals, repeats of stories from the 60s are very rare. Equity changed its rules sometime in the 70s which means repeating later stories was a lot less costly. I've no idea of the costs though as I believe they weren't set in stone but instead negotiated by the managers of the actors, or equity if they were not represented. Elisabeth Sladen mentions (a lot!) on the DVDs how her manager negotiated badly on her behalf and so she gets hardly anything from the repeats or DVD sales

I seem to remember something about 3 repeats. I'm not sure if the episodes could be repeated three times before royalties had to be made, or the BBC made it a rule to not repeat more than three times, perhaps. Something like that, I can't remember for certain, but there was something about 3 repeats in there. And basically, because nobody expected home video, the BBC have a loophole when it comes to selling VHS and DVD as it wasn't ever negotiated and isn't classed as a repeat airing. In terms of acting, only the 'stars' (Doctors and companions, I believe) get anything from the sales of the DVDs. That bit might be wrong though.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 12:31:33 pm »

Kind of tied to this - UK people, if you have Virgin Media (& the right package) then you can watch a number of Classic serials at the moment. They are available through their On Demand service.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: