The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 10:06:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The 50th Anniversary Year

Poll
Question: Has it been celebrated enough?
I think we are getting enough - 0 (0%)
We should have at least had a full season as well as the special - 6 (85.7%)
There should be more than just the one off special aside from the main series - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 50th Anniversary Year  (Read 529 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:42:55 pm »

This is the biggest year in the history of the show so far and we were promised from Moff 'more Doctor Who than every before', but do you think that it has been celebrated enough in terms of what we are getting on screen (bearing in mind that we are getting less episodes than in a standard year and only a 60 minute special for the anniversary), or do you think there should have been more?
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 11:43:34 pm »

My vote options were a bit lame, but it's more about discussing the topic and finding out what people think of the 'celebrations'.
Report Spam   Logged

TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 11:50:16 pm »

I've gone for option three.

I see nothing particularly 'special' about the last season. I think it's safe to say that if this year was not the 50th, then we would still have had a season of the show on the air. It's a shame though that we have had less during this particular year.

As far as the anniversary goes though it doesn't feel like it is going to be much of an event. Yes, we are getting a special episode and that is awesome, but if truth be told I'm actually more excited for the docudrama by Gatiss than I am about the special. We've had no official hints or teasers or anything to whet our appetites, just the knowledge that it is there. There has been a lot of merchandise to celebrate, and that's awesome, but how many people who aren't specifically looking for it will actually be aware of it. And at the risk of sounding ungrateful, I really think the BBC should have commissioned something more than a 60 minute episode to celebrate what has been their biggest cash cow for the last 50 years. Anything is awesome and better than nothing, but it feels like a bit of a whimper tbh and I think it's a huge shame.
Report Spam   Logged

Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 11:52:30 pm »

I think the BBC should do a bit more in promoting it.

We are getting a documentary, a special episode, and a special audio adventure.

But we've no previews, no promo pics, no posters, not much exclusive merchandise......

I would like to see them make a bigger deal about it, no other network has a scripted show they can celebrate 50 years of....
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 12:10:31 am »

I think this is something they have to tread carefully with. Let's not forget that the anniversary isn't until November and the 50th year doesn't technically start until then either. We don't know what else the BBC has in the pipeline for later on. I'd expect loads of special edition panel shows like Buzzcocks or Eggheads and stuff like that and probably some talking heads shows as well. Stuff that won't be announced so early on. I've a feeling the anniversary week will see a lot of DW themed shows on the air.

As for marketing, I don't think it would be such a good idea to start too early. You don't want to bug people by overloading them with 'coming soon' adverts and it doesn't make sense to advertise a show four months before it goes on the air. It's not something I am worried about at the moment, but when we get to the time, if there is nothing but the two specials on, I will probably feel a bit cheated.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 01:04:18 pm »

I think the Doc has it spot on.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 12:15:05 pm »

When the BBC did a press release about A Travel In Space and Time they said that it was one of many shows that will air for the anniversary to celebrate the show, so I think it is safe to say there will be plenty on the TV. But that's not the only way to celebrate. The number of books, audios, games, toys etc have all increased too.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 10:58:33 am »

While I agree with the above, I still think we should have at least had a full season this year.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 03:35:10 pm »

While I agree with the above, I still think we should have at least had a full season this year.

I'm with you here. The split season kind of detracted from S7 as a whole I feel. A full one with Clara and Smith would have been great.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Sparky
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Nine
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 12:21:57 pm »

I'm with you here.

Me too. This is the year where we should have had wall to wall Who, but it's felt emptier than any other since the Specials year.
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 09:57:31 am »

At the very least we should have had a full season this year. I think they better have a lot of stuff up their sleeve for later or fandom is going to implode.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 09:42:58 am »

At the very, very least we should have had a full season alongside the special and then loads of related shows discussing the show and whatnot. I think so far, what could have been a huge year for the show, has gone by with a whimper. I'm hoping now that the 23rd will at least be a Doctor Who night of some sort.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: