The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 01:17:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate and Review The Christmas Invasion

Poll
Question: Rate this story!
5/5 Absolutely Amazing - 1 (9.1%)
4/5 Really Good - 4 (36.4%)
3/5 Not Bad, Not Great - 4 (36.4%)
2/5 Not Impressed - 2 (18.2%)
1/5 Shockingly Bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate and Review The Christmas Invasion  (Read 256 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: August 18, 2013, 02:01:18 pm »

It's been a few months, but TIQ is back and the story we return with is The Christmas Invasion.

It's Christmas Eve and high above London, the alien Sycorax are holding the Earth for ransom. The Doctor must recover from his regeneration in time to save the human race from slavery.

The Christmas Invasion was the first episode of Doctor Who to premiere on Christmas Day since The Feast of Steven, the seventh part of the 1966 serial The Daleks' Master Plan. However, unlike that episode, The Christmas Invasion was specially commissioned by BBC One to be transmitted outside the programme's normal broadcasting season. It was thus the first in the modern tradition of the "Christmas Special", and its sixty-minute runtime made it then the longest episode yet produced by BBC Wales.

Narratively, it continued the story of Harriet Jones, started the Torchwood story arc and involved UNIT in its first major appearance in the new series.

More importantly, it was the first full story to feature the Tenth Doctor, played by David Tennant. Its initial, pre-titles sequence on the Powell Estate was later used to "bookend" the closing scenes of The End of Time. Its setting was the first and last place on Earth the Tenth Doctor saw.

The next TIQ stories will be posted on Sunday August 25th.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 11:26:12 pm »

I've given it 4.  It did it's job, introducing a new Doctor, but not in the awesome sort of way The Eleventh Hour did.  An enjoyable story.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:54:48 am »

I remember watching this when it originally aired and enjoying it a lot, but it's just never really stood up for me and the more I watch, the less I enjoy it, and unless it's part of a season rewatch (or TIQ) then I don't ever put it on. It's not all bad, but not one of my favourites. I've gone with a three.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 02:41:06 pm »

I've gone for 4/5.

It's pretty Christmassy, it was a good introduction to Ten and there was some excellent Jackie humour. Plus I'm a sucker for a good cup of tea.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 10:59:17 am »

I've given this one a 4. I really really enjoy this episode and will happy watch it over and over (and not at Christmas). The thing which marks it down for me is Jackie. I just find her really annoying Sad
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Simone
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Matt Smith/Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Clara/Ace

View Profile
100 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 11:05:03 am »

3/5 from me.

I think this story had a lot to do, and for that it should be cut a bit of slack. Introducing the new Doctor, maintaining the current cast and being put out there as a 'special' meant that it could have fallen flat on it's face, but it didn't Don't get me wrong, I don't think this stands up there as one of the best stories or even one of the best specials, but I do think it does what it sets out to do and it does it relatively well.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 09:39:04 am »

4/5

I remember watching it on Christmas Day and loving it. It doesn't stand up as well as the first few watches, but it's still a great story. I like the intro for the Doctor and the supporting cast were all great.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 10:53:36 am »

Very middle of the road episode for me. Nothing special about it but easy enough to watch. I've gone with 3/5
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 09:36:31 am »

I've gone with a two. I've never really been a fan of this one. I think it is overrated and a bit of a chore to watch. There are some redeeming features but the bad outweighs any good for me.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 06:48:55 pm »

Top of the Shop for me - 5/5 Smiley Writing a regeneration story is notoriously difficult. Writing an Xmas episode is really difficult. Doing both together is almost impossible. This story dealt, head on, with the problem of the new Doctor being a stranger, it had a great 'baddie' and used all of the central characters really well.

But the undoubted star of the show was Tennant's sparkling debut. Right from the start we knew that, here, was something special. You couldn't take your eyes off him on the screen (admittedly this was shoehorned into the last act of the show) and by the end, there was little doubt that he really was the Doctor. By the end of the episode, the Doctor Who Xmas special was truly established as a regular fixture on Christmas Day TV.

What more can you ask?
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 10:39:10 pm »

By the end of the episode, the Doctor Who Xmas special was truly established as a regular fixture on Christmas Day TV.

To the extent that the continuity announcer next year referred to "continuing the tradition" of the DW Christmas Special, which I always felt was jumping the gun a little.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 10:10:51 am »

By the end of the episode, the Doctor Who Xmas special was truly established as a regular fixture on Christmas Day TV.

To the extent that the continuity announcer next year referred to "continuing the tradition" of the DW Christmas Special, which I always felt was jumping the gun a little.

I still have my DVD recording off the TV and always giggle at that bit. All that was missing was David Tennant saying "And a Merry Christmas to you at home"
Report Spam   Logged

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 11:26:36 am »

I've gone with a 3. There is enough good in it to keep me interested on rewatch but enough in that I am not keen on that stops me reaching for it for a random watch.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: