The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 05:02:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Does Moffat have the shows best interests at heart?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Moffat have the shows best interests at heart?  (Read 359 times)
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: October 15, 2010, 07:14:53 pm »

I have no intention of starting a hate thread, though I do understand that this sort of topic can generate some lively debate. I just wanted to clear that up before I start Cheesy

Ok, so since series 5 started airing this year, opinion of Moffat seems to have changed drastically. His decisions and the route he has taken the show has both impresses and annoyed in equal measure, but of late it seems that people are of the opinion that he is doing what he likes with the show, regardless of fan opinion or the history of the show. Not that he should pander to fans, obviously.

My point though is that despite the negativity aimed at RTD, most people knew that he had the best interests of the show at heart and that more than anything, in my opinion at least, he wanted the show to be successful. Moffat no doubt feels the same, but his direction and attitude, and the way he comes off in interviews about the show seem to come off like he is making the show his own personal 'fanwank' as some people would call it. Whereas RTD always seemed to make the show accessible to everyone, Moff seems to make the show for himself, and hope that others like it.

Again, I want to reitterate that I have a lot of respect for Moff and like a lot of his work. I also really enjoyed series 5, but I know that lots of people really didnt and have been put off since he took over. I admit to my bias in preferring RTD but I have tried to make my point as neutral as possible and would be interested in hearing other peoples thoughts
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:12:44 pm »

So I guess I will be the one to kick start this thread.

My personal view is that Steven Moffat has done a great job. I loved RTD, but I think Moff is just as good and has done just a good a job. I understand the points made above, and others that I have read elsewhere, but I mean come on. What did everyone expect? It seems he is in a position where he cant really win. He went his own way and got knocked for it, but if he has retread Russell's footsteps he would have gotten it even worse.

Whether the show has become his own personal fanwank I guess we will never really know, but I think he cares deeply about the output and wants to make the show accessible to everyone.

Just my two pence worth Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 09:16:55 pm »

Short answer - yes Cheesy

Slightly longer answer - fans will always prefer one style over another and some like to think of their opinion as fact Wink
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 09:53:36 pm »

Short answer - yes Cheesy

Slightly longer answer - fans will always prefer one style over another and some like to think of their opinion as fact Wink

Can't really argue with that - Moff is a total fan of the show and this is his dream gig. He is facing the unenviable task of following (arguably) the most talented TV writer doing the circuit (RTD) and one of the most popular Doctors of all time (DT). In essence he has to rebuild the show in his own image (not forgetting that these are more financially troubling times).

The problem is, in order to rebuild the show and keep it mainstream and 7pm family viewing, he has had to eschew the more 'serious' fans - such as us. All of this can give the impression that he doesn't care but I am certain that he does. More than that, I trust him to keep the show as the high quality, top line science fiction that we have come to expect. I hope (and have a high degree of confidence) that season 6 will see everyone really hit their straps and blow us all away.

Roranicus, I understand your worries - but I don't share them. All will be well my friend Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 10:13:07 pm »

I think when it comes to this subject there are a lot of fans of the show who are very vocal about the negative aspects of the showrunner job (of both Moff and RTD) yet the praise that is due is often either non existent, dismissed or shouted down. When it comes down to it though I am sure both have given the show as much care and attention as they possibly can and there will always be fans who arent happy. Moffat will obviously make a show that he wants to see because before he had the job, he was a regular 'Joe Fan' like the rest of us. People seem to forget that it is in his best interest to make this show as brilliant as he possibly can. His job is a privilege and not a right, after all.

What I often find is that the negative people are often shouters. The more they want people to come over to their views, the louder they shout, which often makes it seem like there are more people feeling the same way than there actually are. This is usually because they have nothing to back their claims up, they just want to be negative. Sounds stupid, but there are lots of people out there in fandom who just like to cause trouble. (im really not explaining this too well!)

On the other hand, I have read some negative comments that, while I dont agree with them, they are well thought out and presented and I am more inclined to read and take notice. Many people want to force their views on you and instead of giving well thought out arguments, bombard you with their nonsense until you agree or give in. This can also be true of the positive people who want you to like everything that they do. Fandom is a crazy beast, but it will never change.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 11:32:48 pm »

Fandom is a crazy beast, but it will never change.

Ain't that just the truth! Though I must confess I fall firmly in the 'insanely uncritical' category of fan - but I think I'm the happier person for it. I've read some postings on certain sites and I actually wonder if they like the show at all! I must say that is one of the great joys of this site - whilst I don't always agree with views expressed here, I can't ever doubt the fact that we all love the show Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 11:58:13 pm »

I really hope I havent offended anyone with this thread. I couldnt really find a way to word it very well. It was meant to be more about my observations than my own opinions. As I said I do prefer RTDs work, but he had 5 years to work me over. I love what Moff has done, its his reasoning that concerns me more than his work and I was just wondering about other peoples thoughts on it too Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 12:01:06 am »

I really hope I havent offended anyone with this thread. I couldnt really find a way to word it very well. It was meant to be more about my observations than my own opinions. As I said I do prefer RTDs work, but he had 5 years to work me over. I love what Moff has done, its his reasoning that concerns me more than his work and I was just wondering about other peoples thoughts on it too Smiley

Certainly didn't offend me - and reading the posts, I think everyone took it in the spirit it was intended. We're all friendly here - but I don't think that means you shouldn't challenge the orthodoxies from time to time. 

Like I said though, whilst I appreciate what you're saying, I really think seasons 6 & 7 are gonna blow us away Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 12:04:07 am »

I agree. Your opinion is welcome no matter what it may be. You didnt abuse anyone and you werent offensive so there isnt an issue.

Also, I agree with Chris. The next few series are going to be amazing!
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 12:17:11 am »

Sorry if my post was taken the wrong way, I'm posting from my phone atm so most of my post are fairly short.
I really do think that he has the best interests of the show formost in his mind, it's just a different opinion than what Rusty's was, which is great for such a long running show.  Some are going to prefer one style and some the other.  Some people who hated RTD's vision now love Who again, and vice versa there will be some who loved it and don't like the change of direction.
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 07:28:25 pm »

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

I've no idea who said it, but it seems to fit a lot of fans approach to the show
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 02:19:01 pm »

Of course he does Cool And anyone who thinks otherwise either doesn't share his view of where the show should be going or understand the logistics of what a show runner has to achieve.

At the end of the day the show and Mr Moffatt are one and the same right now. There is nothing to be gained by him NOT doing so.
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 03:54:58 pm »

I didn't like a large chunk of series 5, but I'd be stupid not to think that Moffat - no matter my personal opinions of the man - had anything other than the best interests of the show at heart.

when he was on form for series 5, he was really on form - The Pandorica Opens was excellent from start to finish.

I simply have to share the views of Doc & the others, I have to - series 6 will blow us away. By then Moff will hopefully have hit his rhythm, MS is established as The Doctor & we have Rory as a companion.
Throw in some impressive writers (not you, Gattis! Lol) and we have the recipe for a great run.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 09:09:30 pm »

He has done fine by me. I went into S5 with no expectations and came out a very happy bunny. What more could I ask for?
Report Spam   Logged

DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 05:53:29 pm »

Both men have been fans of the show since they were kids, so of course both of them have the show's best interests at heart.  I loved a lot of RTD's work, but there were some things of his that made me go "What the hell was he thinking?!"  So far Moffat has not disappointed me, I loved series 5 and his contributions to the earlier series. 
Report Spam   Logged
BlueRose

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 10:12:47 pm »

Whereas RTD always seemed to make the show accessible to everyone, Moff seems to make the show for himself, and hope that others like it.

I completely and utterly agree with this statement. Although I can't really say he *doesn't* have the best interests of the show at heart, I think what he perceives that to be and what others do are very different things.

That all being said, I'm waiting for Moff's successor to come around and hopefully return the show back to its former "new Who" state.
Report Spam   Logged
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 01:23:11 am »

I hope the show never looks backwards like that, it would be a real shame if it didn't keep evolving and just became stale and old hat Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: