The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 02:43:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Hunger Games - Catching Fire

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hunger Games - Catching Fire  (Read 214 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« on: August 20, 2013, 12:08:17 pm »

Catching Fire is a 2009 science fiction novel by American novelist Suzanne Collins, the second book in The Hunger Games trilogy. As the sequel to the 2008 bestseller The Hunger Games, it continues the story of Katniss Everdeen and the post-apocalyptic nation of Panem. Following the events of the previous novel, a rebellion against the oppressive Capitol has begun, and Katniss and fellow tribute Peeta Mellark are forced to return to the arena in a special edition of the Hunger Games.

The book was first published on September 1, 2009, by Scholastic, in hardcover, and was later released in ebook and audiobook format. A film adaptation of the novel is set to be released on November 22, 2013. Catching Fire has received mostly positive reviews, with reviewers praising Collins' prose, the book's ending, and the development of Katniss's character. According to critics, major themes of the novel include survival, government control, rebellion, and interdependence vs. independence.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 12:10:44 pm »

I thought it was about time we got a thread going for the second book, seeing as people in the other thread seemed to want to discuss it.

I've finished it and just have the last one to go. I enjoyed it a lot, but I thought it was very slow to get going. I read it really quickly, partly because I was enjoying it and partly to get to the good stuff. I loved the new arena setting and the new characters introduced and I really liked how they dealt with the repurcussions of the first book, too. I'm not sure I enjoyed it as much, but I still think it was really good.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 02:51:06 am »

I prefer the first, but I remember really enjoying the second book still. I think you're right in that it was slow to start, but I really enjoyed the clock-face arena. It ran the risk of being too similar and just a rehash of book 1, but she did a fair job of mixing it up a bit.

I'm looking forward to the film adaptation... I'll probably reread it shortly after I see the film.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:48:40 am »

The characters are really driven forward in this book, which is cool, but there are times when I was waiting for her to stop waffling on and get on with the story. I've a feeling with the film they will abandon most of it and get to the action. She came up with a good idea for getting them back into the arena and the arena itself was far more interesting than I expected it would be. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book but I did think it held up well all the same.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 09:15:09 am »

I liked it a lot, but still only about half as much as I enjoyed the first one. I haven't read the last one yet but I've heard it's better than this one.
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 01:50:16 pm »

I liked it a lot, but still only about half as much as I enjoyed the first one. I haven't read the last one yet but I've heard it's better than this one.

I personally preferred 2 to 3, but that could just be me Smiley If you read it I'll be interested to hear what you think!
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 08:39:41 am »

Most of the complaints I have read about this book is that it spends too much time talking and not enough time on the action, and I think that's fair to some degree. What we are told before the games begin again is all important and so the pages aren't wasted, but it does go on for a long time. She isn't the most concise writer. I really like it though, only a little less than the first.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: