The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 02:52:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Rose Tyler in School Reunion

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rose Tyler in School Reunion  (Read 99 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: August 26, 2013, 10:11:20 am »

Rose Marion Tyler was the first known companion of the ninth incarnation of the Doctor, and also the first companion of the tenth incarnation. She was sealed off in a parallel world, before returning to her own, only to ultimately be returned to the parallel world by the Doctor, along with another version of himself. She shared a close romantic relationship with both the Ninth and Tenth Doctors, eventually living out the rest of her life in the parallel universe with the duplicate Tenth Doctor.

Rose was a sweet, gentle and sympathetic young woman, quick to adapt despite being thrown into strange events. She had her mother's acerbic wit and was not hesitant to use it. She fell easily into the role of the Doctor's latest companion and was brave facing various alien threats. She cared deeply about the Doctor, although she originally denied any sexual or romantic feelings towards him despite indications to the contrary. In what seemed their final meeting on the beach, she told the Doctor that she loved him; he began to reply, but only got out the words "Rose Tyler" before he was cut off.

However, besides Jack Harkness and River Song , she was the only recent companion of the Doctor's willing to kill the Doctor's enemies. Others, such as Martha Jones and Donna Noble were much more reluctant and Donna only killed once when it was the only way to save Agatha Christie. Rose was willing to call the Doctor out when he was wrong. When the Doctor brushed aside the danger that Jackie was in when faced with a Slitheen, Rose reminded him the woman he was discussing was her mother. She was horrified the Doctor would allow the Gelth to use human corpses as a vessel for their consciousness. The Doctor's failure to listen to Rose's human plea of respect for their dead led to at least two deaths when the Gelth proved to be malicious.

Rose had a jealous streak when it came to the Doctor. She and the Doctor's former companion, Sarah Jane Smith, traded barbs over who was the "best companion" but they became good friends afterwards, and happily greeted each other at their reunion on the Crucible. Rose was willing to sacrifice herself for the Doctor or the common good. When faced with the choice of dying or saving the world, Rose instructed the Doctor to do what he had to do to save everyone else. This was a common theme in Rose's story; despite the risk of plunging into the Void and an eternity of nothingness, she let go of a magnetic hold to set a lever right and seal the Cybermen and Daleks away from her world. It was only the sudden appearance of her father from the parallel world that saved her from that fate, but ultimately led to her separation from the Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:50:52 am »

I liked Rose in this but generally I find her weaker in episodes with Mickey. I liked how threatened she was by SJS and there arguments about what they have seen etc. It was nice that they became friends in the end too.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:19:03 am »

She was great in this, but mostly in the scenes with SJS and even then she was totally in the shade.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 11:37:03 am »

I liked Rose in this but generally I find her weaker in episodes with Mickey. I liked how threatened she was by SJS and there arguments about what they have seen etc. It was nice that they became friends in the end too.

I remember when this aired, reading online (a blog entry, I think) where a feminist used this scene as 'proof' that Doctor Who was all about sexism, based on the implication that you can't put two strong women in a room together without them having to go at it and that no matter how strong the women are in the show, they will still end up fawning over the man instead of holding their own. Not a view I take, personally, but it was an interesting read all the same.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 07:18:30 pm »

I remember when this aired, reading online (a blog entry, I think) where a feminist used this scene as 'proof' that Doctor Who was all about sexism, based on the implication that you can't put two strong women in a room together without them having to go at it and that no matter how strong the women are in the show, they will still end up fawning over the man instead of holding their own. Not a view I take, personally, but it was an interesting read all the same.

God some people will look for offence in anything, won't they. Surely the fact they got on so well in the end made the article unnecessary in the first place.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: