The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 10:57:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The First Doctor in The Sensorites

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The First Doctor in The Sensorites  (Read 306 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:12:13 pm »

The First Doctor was the first incarnation of the Time Lord known as the Doctor. Most accounts of him were drawn from close to the end of his life.

Initially, he had as companions his granddaughter Susan Foreman and her kidnapped teachers, Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright. He bade Susan farewell to let her live a happier life with a man with whom she had fallen in love. Later, during a confrontation with the Daleks, the Doctor used one of their time capsules to return Ian and Barbara to their proper time - something he had been unable to manage with the TARDIS.

After Susan's departure, the Doctor gained a new companion in Vicki Pallister. She reminded him of Susan and the Doctor saw her as a surrogate to fill her spot in his travels with Ian and Barbara. Vicki left the Doctor's company, feeling her time with him was over and she needed to move on.

Soon after the departure of Ian and Barbara, the Doctor gained a new companion in Steven Taylor, with whom he had a relatively uneasy relationship. Steven was bitter towards him, blaming him for the deaths of Katarina and Sara Kingdom. However, the Doctor was forgiven and companion Dodo Chaplet joined them on their travels.

Ultimately, Dodo became injured in an adventure and decided to remain home in her own time, while Steven decided to stay and help a civilisation they had encountered.

Right before his battle with the Cybermen of Mondas, the Doctor had gained two new companions in Ben Jackson and Polly Wright, to whom he was much more kind to prevent them from leaving as Steven had.

He met his end after battling the Cybermen for the first time on Earth. He was forced to regenerate into his second body from exhaustion and a loss of strength to maintain his ancient body.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 01:11:07 am »

The Doctor was becoming a more affable person at this stage than he'd been early on, and I think this story was a good showcase for him, showing his curiosity, his sense of adventure and his scientific ability.  It's probably not the story I'd pick out to illustrate the First Doctor, simply because there are others that are better stories, but he did well in this one.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 12:03:21 pm »

I think it is around about this story where the Doctor began to settle down and become more consistent in his character. Up to this point (and sometimes after) he was very up and down, but this story shows more of the Doctor that we see for the rest of his run.
Report Spam   Logged

Simone
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Matt Smith/Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Clara/Ace

View Profile
100 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 12:04:50 pm »

Love the First Doctor a lot and I think that he is great in this story. It's not his best or my favourite, but still very enjoyable to watch him in this.
Report Spam   Logged
Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 03:31:59 pm »

A very decent performance from Hartnell here, but for me it wasn't amongst his best. I do like how he was written, however.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 02:37:59 pm »

Nothing stood out for me here about his performance. That's not to say it was bad, because it wasn't, it just wasn't outstanding.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: