The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 11:40:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate and Review Pyramids of Mars

Poll
Question: Rate this story!
5/5 Absolutely Amazing - 3 (42.9%)
4/5 Really Good - 3 (42.9%)
3/5 Not Bad, Not Great - 1 (14.3%)
2/5 Not Impressed - 0 (0%)
1/5 Shockingly Bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate and Review Pyramids of Mars  (Read 2237 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: September 11, 2013, 03:26:57 pm »

For this weeks classic story we turn to the Fourth Doctor in the Season 13 story, Pyramids of Mars.

In a Victorian Gothic mansion, strange things are afoot. The master of the house, away in Egypt, has been replaced by a sinister Egyptian. Cloth-wrapped Mummies roam the grounds, killing people. Beneath a pyramid, the last of the Osirians — Sutekh the Destroyer — waits to be freed, to at long last bring his gift of death to all who live.

Pyramids of Mars was the third story of Season 13 of Doctor Who and has often been voted amongst the best stories of the series run.

The next story will be posted on Wednesday September 18th

Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 11:07:11 am »

I'm going with a four on this one. The plot is great, Sutekh is awesome, the characters are interesting and the whole thing keeps you hooked for the whole time. I don't even know why I didn't give it full marks. It should have been a five.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 07:14:42 pm »

Just about give it a 5.
Reservations because I don't think it is as good as the Zygons and there are a lot of things that don't make sense, especially in the final episode. Exactly what was the missile supposed to do? Just allow Sutekh to emerge from the rubble? But it the end he tried to cross through the portal, so why couldn't he do that already? It seems to me that the Osirans didn't really do a very good job of jailing Sutekh, leaving a portal through which he could exert mental influence, and then he can be freed if you just solve a few puzzles. They didn't think it through!
My reason for giving it a 5 is that although I don't think the script was that great it was all so well executed. Tom Baker is giving one of his best performances as the Doctor and is playing off Sarah Jane perfectly, the other performances are great, the music is great, Sutekh although maybe a little one-dimensional is perfectly done . . . what else can I say? It won't make my top ten or probably my top 20, but I think it still merits a 5 for everything it gets right.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 05:40:14 pm »

I can't think of a single reason not to give it a five.  One of my favourite Fourth Doctor stories.  Tom and Liz both on great form, a fine script, good supporting characters, and a great villain.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 05:48:10 pm »

Just about give it a 5.
Exactly what was the missile supposed to do? Just allow Sutekh to emerge from the rubble? But it the end he tried to cross through the portal, so why couldn't he do that already? It seems to me that the Osirans didn't really do a very good job of jailing Sutekh, leaving a portal through which he could exert mental influence, and then he can be freed if you just solve a few puzzles. They didn't think it through!

I know the story so well that it's difficult to know how obvious this would be on first viewing, but the missile wasn't aimed at Sutekh's prison.  Sutekh was imprisoned in a tomb in Egypt.  The pyramid on Mars was transmitting a signal that prevented him from moving, and this was what the missile was supposed to destroy, allowing him to escape.  It's never exactly explained how the portal was set up, but I'd assume it was created after Scarman had broken into the tomb, fallen under Sutekh's influence, and brought the Sarcophagus out.

Some of the puzzles do seem a little childish (especially the two guardians, which is a simple logic puzzle I knew as a kid) but others are harder, like the two sets of symbols.  In any case, remember that at the time the Osirans imprisoned Sutekh, humans were pretty primitive.  Maybe they just didn't anticipate anyone even getting to Mars.
Report Spam   Logged

ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 07:13:49 am »

"Sutekh was imprisoned in a tomb in Egypt"
Ok, I guess that makes a little more sense -- all that stuff about the two minutes it takes for radio waves to get to Earth makes more sense now. It still doesn't strike me as the greatest design to imprison the most powerful being in the universe, however.
As for the puzzles, this seems to be a retread of old ground. One of the Third Doctor stories (I think it was Colony in Space) did something similar. I think it is generally agreed the fourth episode is weaker than the other three.
Report Spam   Logged
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 12:28:51 pm »

4 from me. It's a good story with a strong plot and a great cast, but there are a few bits which I am not so keen on and the last episode lets the story down a bit.
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 11:12:16 am »

I understand why people love it. The plot is decent and witty and the characters are good, but for some reason the story just doesn't grip me in the way that others do. For that reason I've given it a three. It's not bad, just not amongst my favourites.
Report Spam   Logged

Eat The Sword
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Nine
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Level 3 Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 10:07:48 am »

I've gone with full marks here. This is one of my favourite stories of the Tom Baker era. The first episode is amazing and totally sets the pace and tone for the rest of the story. Tense, beautifully paced, fantastic performances all round. The whole thing is fantastic, even the slightly weaker last episode.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 08:04:56 pm »

Are we going to get another couple of stories?  It's getting on for a month now since these two were posted.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 10:13:24 pm »

Sorry for the delay Nyki, and everyone else - I'm sure PP or The Doc will be on soon to sort it out.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 01:17:11 am »

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 12:28:11 pm »

Are we going to get another couple of stories?  It's getting on for a month now since these two were posted.

Well it's been over 2 years now, which puts a spanner in the works somewhat, but I'd be happy to get them back up and running again if others wanted it also and if there's people here to discuss it. It was a great little area of the forum so it would be nice to revive it.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: