The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:40:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Twin Dilemma - The Sixth Doctor

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Twin Dilemma - The Sixth Doctor  (Read 942 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: October 17, 2010, 11:15:47 am »

For the first time in the history of the board I am forced to disagree with Peri-Peri (but have the happy advantage of agreeing with Sue). I LOVED the Twin Dilemma. Peter Davison was an extremely popular Doctor and had just had arguably the best regeneration story of all time. Colin Baker came in and laid down a marker that things were gonna be different. It was a perfectly acceptable story premise (even if the physics of it didn't quite tally i.e. was complete nonsense) and Baker captured the madness and upheaval of a regeneration perfectly. Peri was wonderful and Kevin McNally did his usual stirling job. It was uncomfortable viewing at times but a good supporting cast more than made up for it. The Twins were a couple of gimps - but that was the nature of their characters (my favourite ever Doctor Who quote is "I am Womulus. I am Weemus"

I think Peri has hit the nail on the head as to the main problem with the story. Unusually, the first story of the new Doctor was pinned on the end of a season and this caused a problem which I think spanned the whole of the CB era. Essentially when PD took over from Tom Baker, the first story he shot was Four to Doomsday, Castrovalva was not shot until some time afterwards therefore PD had plenty of time to find his 'voice' as the Doctor and develop a relationship with the companions. Colin Baker was not afforded this luxury. His first story was Twin Dilemma and he had to nail it straight away - there was no time to ease him and let him discover his style. You watch CB in The Two Doctors or Trial of a Timelord and he has a brusque but comfortable style. The fact that CB was not allowed time to establish a working style caused him problems throughout his tenure on the show.

Sue, I completely agree with your assessment of Colin Baker; he is a fine fella (i've had the privilege of meeting him) and he truly honours his place in the shows folklore. Given a proper costume (Baker said he wanted a Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones type of costume) and some decent writing, Baker would have been given a much better reception. If you are looking for a great Colin Baker audio can I point you in the direction of Jubilee - it is amazing and formed the basis of the Nu-Who episode 'Dalek'.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: