The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 06:52:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Russell T Davies Appreciation

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russell T Davies Appreciation  (Read 357 times)
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« on: October 17, 2010, 01:17:19 am »

Not a character but the man that made my dreams came true and brought back our show and made it great and polular again!  The man that showed my child that it is normal to have different races co-operating, that all sexualities are normal and that women can be strong and intelligent.

I love that man!   Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 01:32:24 am »

Lol. I could contribute greatly to both the appreciation and the loathing threads.

But I agree with what you said. He's a great storyteller, and brought Who back in a way a lot of people couldn't.
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 10:45:32 am »

I am one of those people who find it hard to pick fault with the guy. I don't for a second think he is faultless, but the good he has done far outweighs the bad and I am grateful for his excellent work so I cant hold a grudge for the few things I disliked. I know people who are fans who hate him for varying reasons, or rather hater what he has done. Often though I read things like 'He has had X killed off, he needs to be sacked' or 'He brought that alien back, lets burn his house down' and its so silly. Some people like to hate for the sake of it, but I think a lot of people need to take a step back and look at what he has done for the show as a whole rather than what he didnt do to impress them personally
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 12:50:24 pm »

My respect for RTD and the work he has done with the show knowns no bounds at all. I like SM, but so far he is nowhere near the same league.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 01:40:37 pm »

I love RTD but I do think he lost his way somwhere between the end of series 4 and The End Of Time
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 02:53:29 pm »

I love RTD but I do think he lost his way somwhere between the end of series 4 and The End Of Time

I think he stretched himself too thin at that point. Showrunning and writing 3 shows at the same time - that all had to coordinate with each other.

Because yeah, the specials suck. lol
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 03:20:05 pm »

I have loved Rusty's work for years, so happy with the way he brought Who back in 2005.  However I don't like parts of what he did with the show over the years; he made it a little soap opera like (his words, not mine) and I hate the way he made the Doctor's ego so huge that he thought he was godlike, esp towards the end.

As Icey says he also spread himself too thin imo, I'm not a fan of the first series of TW at all, he should never have left Chibnall in charge without having more input himself.  His influence is more noticable in s2, but then DW started to suffer imo Sad
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 03:20:41 pm »

Simply put, he is the most complete storyteller in the business at the moment and a writer who has a genuine gift for the epic and the heartfelt. He gave us back Dr Who when I, personally, thought it was lost forever. I didn't always agree with his choices - but so what - he knew what he was doing far more than I do. The choice of Doctors, supporting cast and ensemble writing team was pretty close to perfection.

Its a silly, romantic and, of course utterly impossible thought, but wouldn't it be great if he penned the 50th Anniversary celebration?
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 03:28:21 pm »

I would love that so much!! But I would love him to return to write a story at any time
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

BlueRose

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 10:06:47 pm »

Not a character but the man that made my dreams came true and brought back our show and made it great and polular again!  The man that showed my child that it is normal to have different races co-operating, that all sexualities are normal and that women can be strong and intelligent.

I love that man!   Grin

+1

I seriously miss his influence and wish he had stayed on and worked together with Moff.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 11:00:04 pm »

I love that man!   Grin

+1

I seriously miss his influence and wish he had stayed on and worked together with Moff.

Moff did ask him to work on Series 5 didnt he? I would love for him to return. A nice two parter in the middle of a season should do nicely for starters I think Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 12:29:08 am »

Not watched, but I gather he's reminded us all of his gift for simply telling a story of human interactions on SJA - I really love this man!
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 06:54:18 pm »

Not watched, but I gather he's reminded us all of his gift for simply telling a story of human interactions on SJA - I really love this man!

Watch it. As soon as you can. If its the last thing you do, dont go another day without seeing this story!! You wont be dissapointed
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 12:08:47 am »

I have and it has made me consider watching series 6 - the man has power :-)
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 01:45:15 am »

I have and it has made me consider watching series 6 - the man has power :-)

Haven't seen it yet but it's on the menu. I have GOT to finish writing this story. D:
Report Spam   Logged
Digallifreya
Telly Addict
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Ten!
Favourite Companion: Martha

Doctor Who RPer & incurable romantic, animal lover

View Profile WWW
Level 3 Webmaster Second year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 10:24:47 pm »

Love RTD! End of....
Report Spam   Logged
Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Third or Eleventh
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant or Amy Pond

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
Level 4 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 08:02:55 pm »

I think RTD is a really awesome guy. He's clever, he's open minded, and if you've read The Writer's Tale then you'll know he's incredibly fun. His head is simply teeming with great ideas and he was the perfect man to bring Doctor Who into the 21st century - the 2005 season blew my mind, especially with the strong female lead and introduction of the show's first non-heterosexual character. He created something special, and definitely gave a solid start to NuWho. I also think he'd be one of the greatest people in the industry to just sit and have a coffee with; I know I'd personally love to pick his brain, and even just share some idle chat. He's a great guy.

But I don't think he should have stuck around in Doctor Who as long as he did. As time went on his stories seemed to grow more laboured and tossed together, and again if you've read The Writer's Tale you'll know that he often really did just toss ideas together to wrap up a problem story. The Stolen Earth/Journey's End really proved this, to me; the entire story, particularly the second half, felt incredibly rushed, and many of the returning characters gave it the feel of a stunt - as did the regeneration scene at the end of the first part. The "DoctorDonna" was more than a little bit goofy, if you ask me, and I didn't feel the way I felt I should at Donna's departure. I should have been sad and even heartbroken, considering how much I loved the character; but I was really just bored, to be honest.

I think he held on too long, tried to shape the show too much too quickly, and I believe the stories and the characters suffered for it. I think the Tenth Doctor, while certainly superbly portrayed by one of the most remarkable actors of modern Britain, could have been so much better had he been handed off to a different writer when he joined up.
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode I - The Brainstem Murders
Episode II - Vanishing Act
Episode III - Side Effects
Episode IV - The Villieneuve Incident
Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count
BlueRose

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 08:05:45 pm »

I think RTD is a really awesome guy. He's clever, he's open minded, and if you've read The Writer's Tale then you'll know he's incredibly fun. His head is simply teeming with great ideas and he was the perfect man to bring Doctor Who into the 21st century - the 2005 season blew my mind, especially with the strong female lead and introduction of the show's first non-heterosexual character. He created something special, and definitely gave a solid start to NuWho. I also think he'd be one of the greatest people in the industry to just sit and have a coffee with; I know I'd personally love to pick his brain, and even just share some idle chat. He's a great guy.

But I don't think he should have stuck around in Doctor Who as long as he did. As time went on his stories seemed to grow more laboured and tossed together, and again if you've read The Writer's Tale you'll know that he often really did just toss ideas together to wrap up a problem story. The Stolen Earth/Journey's End really proved this, to me; the entire story, particularly the second half, felt incredibly rushed, and many of the returning characters gave it the feel of a stunt - as did the regeneration scene at the end of the first part. The "DoctorDonna" was more than a little bit goofy, if you ask me, and I didn't feel the way I felt I should at Donna's departure. I should have been sad and even heartbroken, considering how much I loved the character; but I was really just bored, to be honest.

I think he held on too long, tried to shape the show too much too quickly, and I believe the stories and the characters suffered for it. I think the Tenth Doctor, while certainly superbly portrayed by one of the most remarkable actors of modern Britain, could have been so much better had he been handed off to a different writer when he joined up.

Definitely with you on all of this here. This is why I prefer S1-3 the most.
Report Spam   Logged
Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Third or Eleventh
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant or Amy Pond

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
Level 4 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 08:45:56 pm »

I found S2 to be the absolute weakest, actually. It got off to a very weak start, and floundered about considerably in the latter half - almost as if they were just trying to fill in all 13 episodes for the season, and just didn't have enough decent story to do it. I'll admit to thoroughly enjoying all three of the season's two-parters, but it was almost as if the entire year was about those three stories, and the rest - with the possible exception of Girl in the Fireplace - was just filler; School Reunion had all the hallmarks of a ratings stunt, and I just can't fathom re-watching Fear Her or Love and Monsters.
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode I - The Brainstem Murders
Episode II - Vanishing Act
Episode III - Side Effects
Episode IV - The Villieneuve Incident
Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count
BlueRose

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 08:49:54 pm »

I found S2 to be the absolute weakest, actually. It got off to a very weak start, and floundered about considerably in the latter half - almost as if they were just trying to fill in all 13 episodes for the season, and just didn't have enough decent story to do it. I'll admit to thoroughly enjoying all three of the season's two-parters, but it was almost as if the entire year was about those three stories, and the rest - with the possible exception of Girl in the Fireplace - was just filler; School Reunion had all the hallmarks of a ratings stunt, and I just can't fathom re-watching Fear Her or Love and Monsters.

I wasn't fond of Girl in the Fireplace, tbh...it seemed like a very well written original story that had Doctor Who shoehorned in and most of the chars acting very OOC, especially the Doctor.

I LOVED School Reunion and New Earth. The wonderfulness of Elizabeth Sladen and Anthony Stewart Head were pure awesome.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: