The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 01:45:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Spoilery discussion for 2013 Christmas ep

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spoilery discussion for 2013 Christmas ep  (Read 789 times)
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 05:49:58 pm »

Here's the write-up from the online version of the Radio Times.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/cq6k6j/doctor-who--the-time-of-the-doctor

Interesting that it says Matt's now bumped up to the 13th Doctor, rather than to the 12th.  I wonder if that suggests the Valyard's around somewhere.  Or is there yet another unknown Doctor?

The cast-list doesn't really tell us anything we don't know - the Daleks, the Cybermen and the Silence are all going to be around.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2013, 02:30:57 pm »

Interesting that it says Matt's now bumped up to the 13th Doctor, rather than to the 12th.  I wonder if that suggests the Valyard's around somewhere.  Or is there yet another unknown Doctor?

This is explained in the latest DWM - it's fairly straightforward reasoning that is being used, but I won't say unless you actually want to know.

Anyway I came here because the first clip from the ep has been released. If you want to go in knowing nothing, don't watch, but honestly it doesn't give anything away.

Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2013, 10:42:28 pm »

A nice little clip - presumably before things get serious (not that I'm suggesting turkey isn't serious  Cool)

I'll find out about the numbering soon enough.  I suppose one possibility is they're counting the aborted regen.
Report Spam   Logged

ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2013, 08:55:24 am »

From what I've read they are counting Tennant's aborted regeneration as one of the Doctors. Throw in John Hurt as well and that makes 13. Which perhaps makes it a bit odd that Capaldi says "No! 13!" in The Day of the Doctor but maybe that is simply because Tennant 2.0 is not there and does not imply that Capaldi is the 13th, which we now know to be false (or could he wrongly believe that he is the 13th for some reason?).

One possibility is that Smith does not regenerate into Capaldi, but that Tennant's regeneration splits into two, Smith and Capaldi. Would that, as one person suggested, make Capaldi the Valeyard? There are other various explanations for why he might get a few extra regens, e.g., when River Song gives Smith some of her power to regenerate. But I don't think any of this is likely, because I think that the showrunners would want to keep it open-ended and would not want to face the same problem when Capaldi quits or after a few more doctors.

One suggestion I've heard and quite like is when John Hurt's Doctor is told that his punishment is to live. This would keep the show running indefinitely. I would also suggest that, instead of the Time Lords granting additional lives when they are found, perhaps a more satisfying way to end it is if, when found, they take away his lives to finally let him die. As the First Doctor says in The Five Doctors, immortal life is a curse, not a blessing.

I'm also curious whether they are somehow going to make Tom Baker's reappearance in The Day of the Doctor more logical. I loved Tom Baker (although I sometimes get the feeling that he is rather an egotistical and cantankerous soul) and his cameo, but I have to admit that it didn't make a lot of sense and seemed rather tacked on. Is he actually meant to be the Doctor? Maybe there is some explanation for the whole thing back in his time as the Doctor. If there can be basically two Tennants at the same time, why not two Bakers? Maybe it's Baker's regeneration that split and that would explain why Peter Davison was so weak at first, and perhaps why we got the once-only appearance of the Watcher. In which case, what we have seen is only one strand of his further regens. Could we see Tom Baker's Curator regen into Capaldi? That would be awesome, but not very likely. Again, they would be saddling themselves with a particular number of Doctors.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2013, 04:35:24 pm »

All interesting theories, although I don't think the "punishment to live" theory works, because that's his punishment if he uses the Moment - which he doesn't.

I agree TB's appearance doesn't make a lot of sense - the Fourth Doctor didn't get that old, and there doesn't seem any reason why he'd be taking something away from the Time War.  My assumption is that he's actually meant to be a future Doctor, and they just had Tom playing him for the fans.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2013, 04:36:35 pm »

By the way, I'm going to be away from tomorrow till Friday, and I won't have a chance to discuss the episode till the weekend.  I'll definitely be giving my views then, though.
Report Spam   Logged

ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2013, 07:52:31 pm »

The Fourth Doctor didn't get that old

That was precisely my thought -- maybe the fourth doctor somehow survived his regen into Peter Davison, got older, retired, and could regenerate again. Not that I'm saying this is likely, mind -- I think TB was just there to please the fans.

In a sense the Doctor did use the Moment by giving himself the choice of whether to push the button. Not pushing the button counts as using it. But I admit it is a stretch. Why would he be punished for that? Still, all will be revealed. I do hope we are given a proper explanation.
Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2013, 10:53:54 pm »

Another clip has been released but the BBC don't seem to have posted this one to YouTube. You can see it on the DW site here though: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01nq8my
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2013, 11:19:17 pm »

Both clips seem to have been from the fun part of the story, but that's OK - it looks genuinely fun, before we get into the serious stuff.

There's also a clip of Moff talking on the same site, where he promises that this episode will be the pay-off to all the mysteries since The Eleventh Hour.  I think we should hold him to that  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2013, 10:23:45 am »

Yeah I saw that. I will be watching very closely to see that we do Mr Moffat Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: