The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 12:44:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Rate & Review The Time of the Doctor

Poll
Question: Rate this story
Absolutely amazing - 1 (16.7%)
Near perfect - 3 (50%)
Not bad, not great - 2 (33.3%)
Not impressed - 0 (0%)
Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rate & Review The Time of the Doctor  (Read 281 times)
ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« on: December 27, 2013, 09:23:26 pm »

Correct me if I've got this wrong. The Time Lords were sending a message through the Crack in Time. The church became the Silence because they were trying to avoid the Doctor answering the message. Kovarian's group were some kind of splinter cell of the Silence and tried to prevent the Doctor from ever answering the message first by trying to blow up the Tardis (which I seem to recall would have destroyed the entire universe -- a bit of a miscalculation?) and then by trying to program River Song to assassinate the Doctor. But it was the attempt to blow up the Tardis that created the Crack of Time in the first place? So if Kovarian had not tried to stop the Doctor responding to the message through the Crack in Time there would not have been a Crack in Time? It wouldn't be the first time there had been such a time paradox, but I'm curious whether such a paradox was really intended. And I'm still not sure what actually happened the first time on Trenzalore. The last we saw he was inside his own timeline, as was TGI. How did he get out? And what happened to TGI?

After the excellent TNOTD and TDOTD I found this episode a bit disappointing. True, it did manage to tie up some of the loose ends in a fairly satisfactory way. But the Christmas theme (what there was of it) and the truth-field were very much tacked on. It was a bold decision, and perhaps one that was a bit forced on Moffatt, to opt for a more melancholy and contemplative episode. But I just found it rather unexciting. To add a bit of action they had to keep on finding new ways to keep sending Clara backwards and forwards. Otherwise it would have been more like a documentary. And the way they solved the regeneration issue was pretty arbitrary (he swallows a ball of light and suddenly has a whole new cycle of regenerations presumably granted him by the Time Lords) And if the message is supposed to there through all time, why has it taken until now for the Doctor to notice?

It wasn't terrible, but fell short of what I hoped for and expected
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: