The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 02:13:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

How is Matt Smith shaping up for you so far?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How is Matt Smith shaping up for you so far?  (Read 920 times)
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 02:07:07 pm »

All he did for me was get better. Ive loved him since TEH and love him more each time he is on screen. He was superb in ACC and really held his own against the legend Gambon
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 02:12:11 pm »

Love his portrayal even more after A Christmas Carol & I honestly didn't think that was possible as I already adored his Doctor anyway  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
SamiLeigh
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Ten, he was my Doctor :)
Favourite Companion: Martha.

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 2 Webmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 04:05:34 pm »

To be honest, I really don't like him or his Doctor.

I suppose it's because it was series 3 in the RTD era when I got into it, but I went back and watched all of it from series one between series 3 and 4, and I just don't like all the changes that Steven made, or Series 5 at all for that matter..
Report Spam   Logged
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 10:20:33 am »

To be honest, I really don't like him or his Doctor.

I suppose it's because it was series 3 in the RTD era when I got into it, but I went back and watched all of it from series one between series 3 and 4, and I just don't like all the changes that Steven made, or Series 5 at all for that matter..

That can't be much fun Sad I've never not liked a doctor - had a few problems with other aspects of the show along the way but never a doctor.

For myself I think he is doing a great job. He has retained all the quirks/elements I like most in the character so no complaints in this corner  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 04:18:26 am »

Now that the Christmas episode has come and gone, has anyone changed their mind about Matt's take on the Doctor?  Did his performance there make you like his interpretation of the character more or less?

Nah, I adore him just as much as ever.  I don't see how anybody could ever top Matt Smith as the Doctor for me, he's just so amazing!
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 08:52:41 am »

In many ways, one of the deep and abiding joys of this show is the ability to freshen itself up. RTD did it in 2005 and Moff has done it in 2010. But this is not a new phenomenon. The change from Hartnell to Troughton was hugely traumatic because such a signigifcant cast change had never been seen before. The change from Troughton to Pertwee was massive because of the twin changes of colour and the earth focus. JNT changed the entire look and feel of the show when he took over as producer.

So seismic change is not a new thing. And it is at the heart of the show. To paraphrase the sixth doctor 'Nothing is eternal'. DT was a brilliant and sparkling Doctor and RTD had a wonderful, emotional heart at the centre of his iteration. But Matt Smith and the Moff are going in a very different direction. I love the range and depth that MS brings to the role. There is a wonderful alien quality to his incarnation. Watching the SJA 'The Death of the Doctor' I was struck by how much MS echoed the other Doctors (especially when he talked to Jo Grant). He exudes age and wisdom whilst looking young and vibrant. Take a look at him in the Pandorica at the climax of TBB; he looks every inch a 1000 year old being. He brings a quirky and endearing quality to the role that actually reminds me of Tom Baker (just listening to his throw away lines are a treat). As you might have gathered, I am a real admirer of MS (just as I was of DT and CE before him).

In answering the central question 'How is Matt Smith shaping up' I think the producers have got it right yet again. We have someone bringing something totally different to the role and that is part of the magic. His performance in season 5 was utterly magical. I echo Mandy's statement - I've never not liked a Doctor and in Matt Smith we have a wonderful addition to the wonderful range of actors who have graced the role. I cannot wait for season 6 because I think he is going to absolutely explode in the role Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 04:35:28 pm »

Definitely agree that I've liked every Doctor in their own way, even when they haven't been given the greatest stories.  And I feel too Matt's good at echoing past Doctors.  There was a wonderful moment in Vincent & the Doctor, when he was trying to communicate with the creature - I forget the exact line, but he said it in exactly the way Troughton would have.
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 10:32:12 pm »

I love Matt more & more as The Doctor every time I watch him, very much looking forward to seeing more come Easter.

He's still not number one though, that'll never change. Five is my Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 05:56:10 pm »

Love Matt Smith as the Doctor!  Smiley When I first heard it was him i was a little  Undecided but then again isn't that what always happens when you have any sort of change?!
I have to admit that it took a few episodes (til episode 5 I think) for me to actually like him like him as a Doctor. I love the way his character is developing, yeah... and those scenes with him and little Amelia  Smiley it's just so cute!  Smiley So I guess I have to say I do love him as the Doctor  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
missadric2
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Peter Davison
Favourite Companion: Adric/ Amy Pond

Imagination is the key to Everything

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 3
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 06:16:11 pm »

At first I have to say I was wary but aren't we all when there's a new doctor?Huh? But I wasn't like some people I saw on facebook and twitter etc saying he's going to be terrible, he's too young, I had an open mind and thought, give the guy a chance!!!! For goodness sake!!!!
When he said his first line in the eleventh hour, 'can I have an apple' I thought he's gonna be good!!!! But I didn't really click with him until the next episode when he got mad at Amy and the other humans and then after hugged Amy and forgave her, that was the point when he became THE Doctor.
He's a fantastic actor and he has definitely made the Doctor his own and he can go so far with it and go into new territories if nobody else can matt smith certainly can Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

'An apple a day keeps the.....oh never mind!' - fifth Doctor

The 5th Doctor will always have a special place in my heart and will always be MY Doctor

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 03:25:24 pm »

I've been very up and down about Series 5, but Matt Smith, for me, has been constantly brilliant
Report Spam   Logged
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 10:12:05 am »

It's hard to cover how Matt has surpassed my expectations without being spoilerish but I get the impression he is about to blow our minds  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 03:45:15 pm »

For me, I see it in his eyes, the constant youthful bouncy exterior mixed with the weight of 10 lifetimes, watching genocides, the last of his race, constantly not winning, the struggle to not give in and the curiousity, oh the curiousity spilling out!

For me, the Doctor is there, looking through Matt's eyes, I'm there, I believe him.
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 04:01:33 pm »

In that preview clip #2 in the TARDIS for next series, he's just amazing! Such an amazing Doctor  Afro
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
missadric2
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Peter Davison
Favourite Companion: Adric/ Amy Pond

Imagination is the key to Everything

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 3
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 07:01:33 pm »

Its almost as if he is THE Doctor himself when he's on screen, all the mannerisms and behaviours his doctor has are just so precise he must have so much discipline to do that I just love him so much <3 Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

'An apple a day keeps the.....oh never mind!' - fifth Doctor

The 5th Doctor will always have a special place in my heart and will always be MY Doctor

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 01:50:58 am »

He is just going to explode this year, I know it. That trailer from the other day where he is speaking to River and Amy in the TARDIS (I won't give anything else away) showed a whole new dimension to him and it was amazing. I can't wait to see how much more he develops this time around
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2011, 09:42:05 am »

I thought it would be interesting to revisit this thread after the first show of season 6. Of all of the things that I enjoyed about TIA (and there were many), once again we were treated to a magical performance by Matt Smith. I really think he is giving us a very sophisticated and mature performance as the Doctor. His contrast between the loose-limbed clown, the brilliant mind and the darker, dangerous side of his character was one of the most complete performances I think I've ever seen on Doctor Who. Characters work when we believe in them, when they have a rounded aspect, otherwise we merely have caricatures. Matt Smith is putting in so many layers to his Doctor and it makes him a joy to watch. It may actually be time to say that Matt Smith has shaped up very nicely and is now starting a very different journey; to carve a new and quite wonderful direction for his iteration as the Doctor. 
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2011, 01:59:49 pm »

I think he's great.

Not much I can really add after what Chris said, but yeah, he's getting better & better.
Really excited to see what he gets to do this series.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: