The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 07:49:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Rate & Review Time Heist

Poll
Question: Rate this story
Absolutely amazing - 1 (20%)
Near perfect - 1 (20%)
Not bad, not great - 2 (40%)
Not impressed - 1 (20%)
Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rate & Review Time Heist  (Read 607 times)
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: September 20, 2014, 04:33:40 pm »

What did you think of Time Heist?
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Nyki2
Earthling

View Profile
One year Anniversary Level 3 Poll Starter
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 09:39:49 pm »

I've given it a 3, but quite a high 3.  It was fun, and had lots of good running down corridors.  The Teller was cool, I liked the villain, and at least there was a reason for the Doctor putting a gang together (unlike in DOAS).

Negatives - I guessed quite early who the Architect was.  I also felt a slight sense of let-down that I can't entirely explain.  Perhaps that'll be better on rewatching, but I suspect this is going to be an episode I enjoy when I rewatch through the series, but I'm not likely to pick it out as an episode I particularly want to watch.
Report Spam   Logged
ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:58:08 am »

I didn't think much of this. It seemed like they took ideas from other tv and other Dr. Who episodes and cobbled them together. The final lock on the vault is straight from Die Hard, and all that slo-mo at the start is from, well, practically everything in the heist genre. This isn't always a bad thing and can come across as a fun, self-conscious pastiche, but for me it just didn't work. The one thing that did work for me (even if it was largely cobbled together from Hide and The God Complex) was the Teller itself. A great 'monster' that I hope we will see more of. I nearly gave it a 3 for the Teller alone, but in all conscience could only give it a 2.

Incidentally, are we to assume that it was the Doctor who put the memory recovery thingy and the vaccine into the vault in the first place? This would mean that he was just manipulating Psi and what's-her-face all along. Also, are we to assume that the TARDIS cannot just materialize inside the vault. Granted we are told that the TARDIS cannot navigate while the storm is taking place, but then why not choose another time? Also, if not the TARDIS, why not the teleporters? Being able to teleport back to wherever they want to be seems to make a nonsense of all the trouble they went to.
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 11:24:36 am »

I've given it a 3. I thought it was a pretty bad episode, and I haven't been very impressed by any of this series so far! I completely turned off half way through the episode and was very bored. They really need some better episodes to draw me back in Sad  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 08:25:20 pm »

I need to rewatch before rating; I'm not sure I have the plot straight in my head...  At the end of the "heist", the Doctor gave his phone number to Karabraxos (or whatever her name is), and at the end of her life she called him to ask if they would break into the bank.  But how did she get the number if they hadn't broken into the bank yet?  That's one big ole timey-wimey plot hole! 
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 06:57:43 pm »

I got the impression she phoned to get the Doctor to rescue the Tellers cause she felt guilty for holding them hostage
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Nyki2
Earthling

View Profile
One year Anniversary Level 3 Poll Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 11:58:23 pm »

I got the impression she phoned to get the Doctor to rescue the Tellers cause she felt guilty for holding them hostage

Yes, that was how I interpreted it.  As for the rest, it's just timey wimey.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: