The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 03:45:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Rate & Review Kill The Moon

Poll
Question: Rate this story
Absolutely amazing - 0 (0%)
Near Perfect - 0 (0%)
Not bad, not great - 3 (60%)
Not impressed - 0 (0%)
Shockingly bad - 2 (40%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rate & Review Kill The Moon  (Read 736 times)
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: October 04, 2014, 09:32:55 pm »

What did you think of this week's episode?
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 10:07:36 pm »

3/5 A middling sort of episode. Scary in places, but I think it fell well short of its ambitions.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki2
Earthling

View Profile
One year Anniversary Level 3 Poll Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 10:56:56 pm »

I had some distractions in the early part, so it's difficult to judge it. It felt a bit disjointed, but that might just have been me.  I'll watch it again tomorrow and score it then.
Report Spam   Logged
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 03:58:09 am »

Shockingly bad.  Terrible.  Right there at the bottom of the heap with "Curse of the Black Spot". 
Report Spam   Logged
ardalyon
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 01:10:11 pm »

Awwww, it wasn't THAT bad. The first half at least was exciting and well directed, if not exactly original. The moral dilemma had been done before and much better in "The Beast Below," which I loved.
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 02:33:00 pm »

3 from me. It wasn't awful but it wasn't brilliant... Let's just say this series isn't shaping up very well for me!  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
DAK
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 06:18:58 pm »

Awwww, it wasn't THAT bad. The first half at least was exciting and well directed, if not exactly original. The moral dilemma had been done before and much better in "The Beast Below," which I loved.

Oh god, where do I start?!

Courtney, who I liked last episode, is now a whiny 5 year old brat:  Waaaah!  I'm not special!!! 

Unless I missed a bit of dialogue (I played the scene twice), an astronaut with apparent dementia wanders off during an expedition with no explanation and nobody says a word.

Speaking of astronauts, why do they all have British accents?  Smiley

They turn on the lights and immediately, voila!  Oxygen?!  Really??  The corpses all had helmets on; the base had been breached by spiders 10 years ago, so all oxygen had likely bled out then.  Even if there was a miracle reserve, it wouldn't have cycled THAT fast! 

Did I hear them say the moon wasn't made of rocks?  Um, yeah, it kinda is ... We've brought back samples and done spectroscopic analysis of the moon, we know exactly what it's made of. 

This creature gains what, millions of tons of mass in ~30 years time ... eating what?  Mass doesn't magically appear from nowhere.

Courtney just happens to have a bottle of cleaning fluid in her spacesuit.  And she can impressively operate a phone with clunky gloves on.  Not only that, she can post to Twitter 30+ years in the past with no cell tower in sight. 

The creature hatches and immediately lays an egg the same size as the one it just hatched from.  Right.  Can you say "ouch"?

There is a nice big full moon ... in broad daylight.  Full moons by definition rise at sundown, it should not have been bright and sunny on that beach.

Not only that, the new "egg" looks exactly like the old "egg", right down to the last crater, mountain, and sea.

I'm sure there was more that I'm not remembering, but I'm not going back for a re-watch.  I cringed through the entire episode, right from the "Waaaah, I'm not special" bit.  Terrible concept, terrible science, terrible acting from the guest cast.  What a disappointment after what's so far been a great season.  That's 45 minutes of my life I'll never get back. 
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki2
Earthling

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 12:54:17 am »

I went with a three.  I agree the science is dodgy, but I don't watch Doctor Who for scientific accuracy. I found it enjoyable enough, and I liked the shambolic expedition.

There is a nice big full moon ... in broad daylight.  Full moons by definition rise at sundown, it should not have been bright and sunny on that beach.
No, it rises at 6 pm sun-time, which isn't always the same thing. Where I live, at the summer solstice the full moon would have been up for a couple of hours by sunset. It's not entirely clear where that beach was.

Speaking of astronauts, why do they all have British accents? 
I suppose for much the same reason that they always have American accents in US shows  Cool
Report Spam   Logged
DAK
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 03:51:49 am »

I went with a three.  I agree the science is dodgy, but I don't watch Doctor Who for scientific accuracy. I found it enjoyable enough, and I liked the shambolic expedition.

I don't watch it for scientific accuracy either, but this was beyond dodgy and into the plain ridiculous!

No, it rises at 6 pm sun-time, which isn't always the same thing. Where I live, at the summer solstice the full moon would have been up for a couple of hours by sunset. It's not entirely clear where that beach was.

OK, this piqued my interest.  I'm not sure what you mean by "sun-time", but I've found out that at latitudes above 66.5 degrees one might see a full moon and the sun in the sky at the same time during the summer months if the full moon is at its northernmost point in the ecliptic plane.  http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=341  Fascinating!  I have to plan a vacation at the north pole one of these summers... 

Learn something new every day!   Afro

Speaking of astronauts, why do they all have British accents? 
I suppose for much the same reason that they always have American accents in US shows  Cool

LOL! 
Report Spam   Logged
ardalyon
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 10:41:58 am »

The only scientific inaccuracy that actually bothered me was the idea that because something was growing inside the egg and about to hatch, that meant that the whole thing was somehow gaining mass. Since this was central to the episode it was a clunker. Things like the cellphone I don't care about.

Incidentally, how certain are we that pressing "Abort" was the correct decision, at least from Clara's point of view? After all, in The Beast Below the Doctor was ready to lobotomize the beast, and in that Torchwood thing Captain Jack sacrificed his grandson or whatever to save the Earth. Sometimes sacrificing the innocent is just the best we can do, regrettably. Yet here Clara backs her own hunch against the will and wishes of the entire human race. Just because it turned out well in the end does not make her decision right.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki2
Earthling

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 12:29:00 pm »

OK, this piqued my interest.  I'm not sure what you mean by "sun-time", but I've found out that at latitudes above 66.5 degrees one might see a full moon and the sun in the sky at the same time during the summer months if the full moon is at its northernmost point in the ecliptic plane.  http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=341  Fascinating!  I have to plan a vacation at the north pole one of these summers... 

Learn something new every day!   Afro

Saying "sun-time" was just a slightly awkward way of saying ignore daylight-saving time.  You wouldn't have to go that far north or south to see the full moon in daylight at high summer - we can see that in southern England.

Incidentally, how certain are we that pressing "Abort" was the correct decision, at least from Clara's point of view? After all, in The Beast Below the Doctor was ready to lobotomize the beast, and in that Torchwood thing Captain Jack sacrificed his grandson or whatever to save the Earth. Sometimes sacrificing the innocent is just the best we can do, regrettably. Yet here Clara backs her own hunch against the will and wishes of the entire human race. Just because it turned out well in the end does not make her decision right.

I suppose ultimately it was right because the author showed it turning out right, which is one of the differences between fiction and reality (the other main one being that fiction has to make sense).  The author is essentially saying that compassion is always better and illustrates it by showing the compassionate decision as being the right one. A different author might show the compassionate decision as being weak and leading to disaster. It all depends on the fictional reality that's set up.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: