The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 01:55:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Rate & Review Death in Heaven

Poll
Question: Rate this story
Absolutely amazing - 0 (0%)
Near Perfect - 2 (50%)
Not bad, not great - 2 (50%)
Not impressed - 0 (0%)
Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rate & Review Death in Heaven  (Read 473 times)
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: November 08, 2014, 07:11:35 pm »

What did you think of the last episode of S8?

Also, do you want a poll for both episodes together as they make a complete story?
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 06:57:15 pm »

Wow, almost a whole day later and no reviews?!   Shocked

I voted "near perfect".  I absolutely adore Michelle Gomez's portrayal of the Master; hopefully that was a teleport at the end there and not her being obliterated.  I would love to see her return!

Overall I really enjoyed it, although I had a few quibbles:

- Those guards watching Missy were useless; how did she get out of her handcuffs, PUT ON LIPSTICK, and get all the way over to Osgood without them moving a muscle?!

- I was very saddened at Osgood's death; I was really hoping she'd get a trip in the TARDIS.

- How did the kid Danny sent back get a physical body?  It was only his mind that was in the Nethersphere.

- The Doctor and Clara lying to each other at the end - won't they ever learn?   Embarrassed

- I'm not sure how I feel about a Cyber-Brig wandering the universe.  He didn't burn up with the rest of them.

- I'm also sad about Danny; does this mean Orson Pink never exists?  Unless Clara is pregnant...

- When the plane started going down my first thought was "Head for the TARDIS!"  Odd that that didn't occur to any of them.

I am very intrigued by that Christmas sneak peek.  Santa knocking on the TARDIS door!!!   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 08:05:22 pm »

agree with all you've said there DAK! A lot of things still left unanswered in my opinion, but otherwise it was pretty good. Not the best ending episodes we've had in my opinion!
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 08:26:19 pm »

I'll go for a 3. I don't think the direction was that great.

I'm still not really sure what the whole deal with 3w and the x-ray water was. It was sort of explained as just The Master getting money and resources. Strange how that never seems to have stopped him before.

Not sure how I feel about Cyberman pollen. It was kind of dropped in there without much warning.

Same goes for The Master keeping the Doctor and Clara together. She didn't have any great motivation that I could tell, except may to tease the Doctor a bit.

Did Cyber-Danny take Clara to the graveyard? I suppose he must have done. She just seemed to turn up there.

Why was The Doctor put on a plane in the first place?

Didn't like the Danny beyond the grave bit in the epilogue. As DAK says, the boy shouldn't have returned in a physical body, either. But I think the whole scene was a bad idea from the start, or are we to suppose that there really is an afterlife?

I'm still not sure what happened to Gallifrey. We just see The Doctor banging at the controls, so I suppose it can't be good news and he is lying to Clara at the end. Did anyone get anything more specific?

I've concentrated on the negatives, but there was some good stuff too. I kind of liked the brutal dispatch of Osgood and the Master. It was kind of shocking in a good way. And I kind of liked the Cyber-Brigadier. Great dialogue too between The Doctor, Danny and Clara.
Report Spam   Logged
DAK
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 11:45:17 pm »

Same goes for The Master keeping the Doctor and Clara together. She didn't have any great motivation that I could tell, except may to tease the Doctor a bit.

She did go to an awful lot of trouble to get and keep them together.  Surely there were other less complicated ways to get the Doctor's attention than to introduce him to a 'control freak' and then kill her boyfriend to lure the Doctor into searching the 'afterlife' for him...

Did Cyber-Danny take Clara to the graveyard? I suppose he must have done. She just seemed to turn up there.

He did.  Kind of an odd (and dangerous) place to dump her, knowing the cyber-dead would be awakening soon.

Why was The Doctor put on a plane in the first place?

Maybe they figured they'd be safer up there?  Or maybe they had some remote secure prison set up to keep Missy in, where she couldn't do any harm? 

Come to think of it, it was just plain dumb that they didn't 1)disarm her, and 2)have a more secure location on the plane to imprison her.  If UNIT knows the history of the Master they should have known how dangerous she was. 

Didn't like the Danny beyond the grave bit in the epilogue. As DAK says, the boy shouldn't have returned in a physical body, either. But I think the whole scene was a bad idea from the start, or are we to suppose that there really is an afterlife?

I would have thought Danny would have burned up with the rest of the Cybermen, so how was his conscious still intact?  He said something about the matrix dying; I thought that was the sphere their minds were uploaded to.  So the boy's could have still been there, but not Danny's.

I'm still not sure what happened to Gallifrey. We just see The Doctor banging at the controls, so I suppose it can't be good news and he is lying to Clara at the end. Did anyone get anything more specific?

The Master lied, it wasn't there.  It may still be at the same coordinates, but it's not in this universe. 

Report Spam   Logged
Nyki2
Earthling

View Profile
One year Anniversary Level 3 Poll Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 11:49:05 am »

I was trying to decide between 4 & 5, but I've gone for 4 in the end.  I loved it, but I'd agree with a lot of the quibbles above.  Though I loved the Brig's swansong.

The whole idea of moving between the Nethersphere and the physical world was never explained, but it was established earlier that Missy could somehow do it with the bracelet.  It doesn't entirely make sense, though.

- I was very saddened at Osgood's death; I was really hoping she'd get a trip in the TARDIS.

Me too.  Then again, maybe it'll eventually be revealed that it was really the Zygon Osgood  Cool
Report Spam   Logged
DAK
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 02:59:48 pm »

Me too.  Then again, maybe it'll eventually be revealed that it was really the Zygon Osgood  Cool
That would be nice, but I sorta assumed that when the negotiations were over and they all got their memories back the Zygons would have left Earth.  I'm holding out hope that Missy's weapon was a teleporter and not a death ray.
Report Spam   Logged
summersolstice
Hatchling

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 2
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 03:08:44 pm »

Quote from: Nyki2

Me three I was actually hoping she was going to be the one Danny was sending through at the end instead of himself.

The Master lied, it wasn't there.  It may still be at the same coordinates, but it's not in this universe.
I was thinking maybe he was angry because the master had told the truth and now he felt guilty for killing him/her
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki2
Earthling

View Profile
One year Anniversary Level 3 Poll Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 02:12:56 pm »

I was thinking maybe he was angry because the master had told the truth and now he felt guilty for killing him/her

I don't think so. He looked out and there was just empty space. Of course, he was only looking in one direction and it could have been on the other side of the TARDIS, but I think we're supposed to assume it wasn't there.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: