The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:09:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

What was your first Who?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your first Who?  (Read 415 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: October 17, 2010, 05:15:16 pm »

The earliest episode that I remember watching on TV was Warriors of the Deep. I remember vividly may dad sitting me on his lap to watch with him and though I was terrified, I was hooked. I remember my dad buying me old VHS copies as a child of the Fifth Doctor and that is where my obsession came from. I carried on watching new episodes as they aired and when that went off the air I started getting my hands on as many of the older stories as I could. Warriors will always be special to me for that reason though
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 06:02:29 pm »

I remember seeing an episode when I was really young with Tom Baker, but I dont really remember anything about it. The first story I remember watching properly was a rerun of Spearhead From Space on BBC 2 when I was about 6. I dont remember being overwhelmed by it (I still aint) but  do remember liking it and tuning it to others. I was obsessed with BBC2 back then. It used to have awesome reruns of The Munsters and The Addams Family and Thunderbirds etc. Who wasnt on very often though.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 06:13:37 pm »

For me, it was Robots of Death. I was 5 years old and it truly scared the hell out of me! From then on I was hooked! Destiny of the Daleks is really special as well - I remember (being obviously infinitely more mature as a 7 yr old) watching it with my favourite uncle while my bro and dad went to the football. I didn't use to go to the football because I wouldn't get back in time to see Dr Who. Funny how these first memories of Who are far more than just memories of a TV show - for me it defines a large part of my childhood. If I watch the continuity announcements on some of the DVDs I get overcome with waves of nostalgia Smiley Great OP Peri Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 06:29:34 pm »

I can't go as far back as you lot on this. The first Who I watched was the Movie. I hated it so badly and when the new series was anounced I was full of 'meh'. Then I accidently found myself watching Father's Day and became obsessed. The writing and acting dragged me right into the story and I ended up being late to meet friends because I wouldnt stop watching it. I got the box set when it came out and followed New Who obsessively since. In 2009 I found myself out of work for a spell so I started ordering the classics online. I thought it best to start at the beginning, so got The Beginning box set and got hooked all over again. Ive now seen all available first and second Doctors as well as one third Doctor, one sixth doctor and a couple of the Fifth Doctor. I also have a new found respect for The Movie, though I dont really rate it that highly still
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 06:45:05 pm »

Rose for me. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about more than anything else. Ive watched a few classics since and read some books, listened to some audios etc
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 10:01:35 pm »

I love how varying everyones answers have been so far. I think I am lucky that I got to experience the classic series while it was airing. I think if I became a fan of the revival I would possibly not have looked back and I would have missed out on some great stories, but its also really nice to have those memories of watching the classic show. It seems so long ago yet I remember it vividly
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 10:18:58 pm »

My first full ep was The Eleventh Hour though I had seen odd bits over the years (Classic & New) - somehow I seemed to see the same bit of The Empty Child over & over - random but true!!! No-one in my family watched DW when I was growing up though I always knew of it & was curious. I'm now endeavouring to watch as much as I can - easier said than done but I will do it!!!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 01:38:37 am »

For me - An Unearthly Child (yes, I really am that old  Cheesy)  They repeated the episode the following Saturday, because so many people had missed it, and followed it straight on with the second one, but I was hooked from the first showing.  I can't actually claim to have watched every single episode, but I saw most of every story up till about 1980, when I lost track a bit, mainly due to practical difficulties (including not having a TV for a while).  I've caught up with that period now, though.
Report Spam   Logged

Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 09:15:32 am »

I honestly have no idea as my mum was a big Trougton/Jamie fan it was a show that I've watched since the craddle.  I watch old episodes now and get bizare flashbacks of being in our old house during certain parts that I suddenly remember seeing before, lol.
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 06:24:18 pm »

For me - An Unearthly Child (yes, I really am that old  Cheesy)  They repeated the episode the following Saturday, because so many people had missed it, and followed it straight on with the second one, but I was hooked from the first showing.  I can't actually claim to have watched every single episode, but I saw most of every story up till about 1980, when I lost track a bit, mainly due to practical difficulties (including not having a TV for a while).  I've caught up with that period now, though.

Im actually really jealous. Id love to have been sat there watching the very first episode. Must have seemed so normal then, but looking back now it was such a massive event
Report Spam   Logged

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 07:53:31 pm »

The first one I really clearly remember watching was The Five Doctors. I think I'd been watching it for a little while before then but I remember that one just feeling like such a big event, and loving seeing all these old Doctors that I'd heard about but never seen. (and I'm sure I didn't realise back then that a different guy was playing the first Doctor - well I was only five at the time!)
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 10:19:51 pm »

The first one I really clearly remember watching was The Five Doctors. I think I'd been watching it for a little while before then but I remember that one just feeling like such a big event, and loving seeing all these old Doctors that I'd heard about but never seen. (and I'm sure I didn't realise back then that a different guy was playing the first Doctor - well I was only five at the time!)

The Five Doctors has a very special place for me as well. It felt like a special episode (with the WH opening and the new console room) and was the first video tape that I ever owned (I bought a blank tape with 4 weeks pocket money and went to my neighbours house and recorded it).
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 01:41:30 am »

Rose Cheesy cause Im a baby Wink (kidding am 19 Tongue)

But, yeah since then Ive seen almost all the available episodes, there are the odd few I havent seen including a couple I own on video (I know I own them and havent seen them!) but other than that Ive seen loads!! Cheesy

but Chris is my Doc Smiley

Peter Davison is my Classic Doc though, which is strange cause he wasnt the first one i watched, that was either William or Tom *shrugs*
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 05:55:19 am »

Blink. I have only been a fan for three years. I found out about Doctor Who one day when a friend of my asked me about it. She explained the premise and the salt-shaker robots and the man who changed his face. I mostly gaped. She told me about how it was realllyyy old and I asked if I had to watch all the old ones to see the new ones- thank heavens! I was relieved to find I didn't. I would never watch stuff so old.

I'm eating my words now. I've seen all the episodes/reconstructions, and I read the books and listen the radio dramas. This has been the most amazing show I've ever seen and even as I discover other shows to obsess over I still find that my true love is Doctor Who. That's more than I can say for any other show I've seen in my (admittedly short) life.
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: