The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 10:40:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

50th Anniversary Plans Underway Already?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary Plans Underway Already?  (Read 1223 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 01:49:43 pm »

I had a thought last night about the anniversary that I thought I would share to see what people thought.

Lots of fans want to see some sort of multi-Doctor story, or see the actors return in another form. Others have mentioned remaking a lost or just general classic story. I've seen some mention doing a live episode or something from the Doctors youth, but I think most of these just won't work logistically.

My thought, and it might be ridiculous, is to shoot it in black and white. It could be mentioned in the story as part of the plot, or perhaps just done as a nod to the early days without having anything to do with the story, but I think it would be a great little twist thats different to what people might expect. The thing is, doing it today as an effect rather than a necessity as it was in the 60s means that it can still look visually attractive and glossy and bold but also be a nice nod to where the show started 50 years ago.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 10:41:42 pm »

I love that idea. It's definately original. I can't think of any other shows that have done something similar and I just think it would give the story a very cool classic feel to it.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 02:38:44 am »

I also think that's a great idea. Black and white FTW! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 05:38:37 pm »

That's a great idea.  Actually, when you think about it, The Girl Who Waited could have very easily been made in black & white, and they could do something equivalent.  Even if the whole thing isn't B/W, perhaps the Doctor would go back to 1963 (obviously avoiding the same territory as Remembrance of the Daleks) and there's some reason why it turns B/W when he steps out of the TARDIS.
Report Spam   Logged

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 07:06:58 pm »

I think filming it in black and white would be really neat. I'd love to see them do that. We need to bombard Moff with the idea Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 12:47:02 pm »

I was thinking about this on the treadmill this morning. For the 50th, assuming we are getting another series leading up to it or airing at the time, I think we should have an entire series of returning monsters. Strong, popular villains from both eras of the show for the Doctor to re-face and then one new brilliant villain created specifically for the anniversary. I think having lots of new monsters would mean that none stand out over the others and would lessen the impact of the fact the show has reached such a milestone. Creating just one new race means that a lot of effort and focus can go on making them brilliant and hopefully iconic while using returning monsters for all the other stories would be a nice nod to the classic and early new era. The show could even perhaps acknowledge the fact they have all been faced before by connecting it all together in a loose arc. Maybe something cooked up by the new race?
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 07:57:11 pm »

I think the idea of having perhaps part of it shot in black and white might be a nice homage - or perhaps even having a prequel shot in black and white would be a lovely nod to the shows past. If i'm honest I wouldn't want the whole lot shot in b/w - i think the show has moved on from that and should actually be an HD special effects extravaganza to show how far it has come.

My idea for the 50th is a little odd but I think would provide a fitting tribute to the Doctor's 50 years and free us from a lot of the continuity problems that inevitably occur if a multi-doctor story is proposed.

The plot premise is this. The Doctor is dying. He has a regenerative disorder - a Time Lord deadly disease - whereby large parts of his past degrade due to his prolonged exposure to the time vortex. So we see his previous regenerations but in an older, more degraded form. Some regenerations are totally inaccessible (the first three Doctors) and the Doctor and companions old and new must try and help the Doctor find a cure before its too late and before his enemies can stop him (think of the Adric quote at the end of Caves of Androzani "to many people would delight in your death")

The 50th anniversary is the Doctor facing a fight with his ultimate foe - Death.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 12:57:51 am »

Great idea, VA.  I wonder if Moff is listening.

I was thinking about this on the treadmill this morning. For the 50th, assuming we are getting another series leading up to it or airing at the time, I think we should have an entire series of returning monsters. Strong, popular villains from both eras of the show for the Doctor to re-face and then one new brilliant villain created specifically for the anniversary. I think having lots of new monsters would mean that none stand out over the others and would lessen the impact of the fact the show has reached such a milestone. Creating just one new race means that a lot of effort and focus can go on making them brilliant and hopefully iconic while using returning monsters for all the other stories would be a nice nod to the classic and early new era. The show could even perhaps acknowledge the fact they have all been faced before by connecting it all together in a loose arc. Maybe something cooked up by the new race?

This is something like what they did in the series leading up to the 20th, where each story featured someone or something returning (Omega, the Mara, the Brig, the two Guardians, the Master).  It could work well to do that again.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 07:11:21 pm »

I like both those ideas. I've heard some great ideas put out there about the anniversary and it just makes me even more excited. I think whatever it is, it won't be something so simple that we can guess it. I'm not always Moffs biggest fan but I have faith that he will give us something spectacular
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 03:24:09 pm »

I like both those ideas. I've heard some great ideas put out there about the anniversary and it just makes me even more excited. I think whatever it is, it won't be something so simple that we can guess it. I'm not always Moffs biggest fan but I have faith that he will give us something spectacular

Likewise, I am prepared to have the Moff take me on a roller coaster ride. I have a slight fear about the expectations game that Moff is now facing. The anticipation about the 50th anniversary is huge - so are the expectations. But, in Moff we trust and all that!
Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 02:42:45 pm »

The idea of the returning monsters is a good one. As Nyki says its something they have done before but it's not such an obvious thing that it would seem like they are copying, especially if the stories are all different. I also like the idea of reinventing old stories. Not strictly remaking them as such, but perhaps new interpretations or something. Perhaps that is what the Moff is going with if the western/Gunslinger rumour is right.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 02:58:58 pm »

This made me laugh, so I thought it was worth sharing. The Express. Do I even need to tell you all take take it with a bucket full of salt?

DOCTOR Who will turn into a woman when the show marks its 50th anniversary next year, Day & Night has been informed.

The show’s bosses are planning to change the character’s gender after half a century, with Sherlock star Lara Pulver,
31, pictured, being tipped among the front runners for the role.

Insiders say a dramatic twist will see current Time Lord Matt Smith, 29, regenerate into a new female character when next year’s series reaches its dramatic climax.

“The 50th anniversary series will end with a very big twist,” we’re told. “The Doctor becoming a woman will give the show a new lease of life.”

Pulver sent pulses racing with her raunchy portrayal of the scheming Irene Adler opposite Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sherlock Holmes on BBC1 earlier this year.

Writer Steven Moffat, 50, the co-creator of the Sherlock series, is also the
executive producer of Doctor Who. “Lara has already been mentioned as a real contender for the role,” adds our show mole.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 12:44:00 am »

How many regenerations does that make that the Doctor's definitely going to turn into a woman?
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 08:15:02 am »

I wonder if (and this is reading the above with the appropriate salt as PP wisely advises) instead of a permenant Incarnation, we are going to see a time lord, body swap story (those who know it, think Original Star Trek, final episode, Turnabout Intruder) whereby someone takes the time lord body and swaps it so they can have eternal life. I know it's been kinda done in New Earth but I'm thinking something a bit more serious and operating as the fundamental story device (the Cassandra body swap was almost a bit of fun)

Perhaps not for the 50th story though - I wonder if this story is a mix of "we've got some great plans this year leading up to the Doctors 50th anniversary" and "doctor who to become a woman" add this to someone hunting for a story and bingo!
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 06:06:36 pm »

Was Turnaround Intruder the split Kirk one?  For most series (other than DW) I tend to think of episodes as "The One Where..."
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2012, 09:17:39 pm »

Was Turnaround Intruder the split Kirk one?  For most series (other than DW) I tend to think of episodes as "The One Where..."

Its the very last episode where a female Doctor (Janice Lester played rather well by Sandra Smith) literally swaps bodies with Captain Kirk ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnabout_Intruder
Report Spam   Logged

Eurybus
Hatchling

Favourite Companion: Romana II

View Profile
Topic Starter Level 1 First Post
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 08:10:14 pm »

I really hope Moffat doesn't go against yet another thing we thought we knew about the Time Lord race, that's my only limit as to how far he can go (I think)

My main hope for the series is that the Master has somehow survived. I also think it's a good idea to bring back old foes, but not if it ends up as a series full of Closing Time-style episodes where the monster/creature/bad guy/posessing spirit isn't really the focus. Don't get me wrong, I liked that episode, but I couldn't stand a whole series of it.
Report Spam   Logged

-What, no tea?
-Let me point out to you that you have no rights whatsoever. I have full authority to torture and kill any prisoner who does not comply absolutely with my orders. That is your first and last warning.
-No tea, Harry.
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 09:11:48 pm »

This isn't a spoiler as such after reading Doctor Who Magazine they seem to be indicating that plans for the 50th are well underway and that we are going to see elements of it seeded into this current series. But what appears to be certain is that Jenna Louise Coleman is going to be the companion and Matt Smith is going to be the Doctor. Moff is in no way ruling out a multi Doctor episode

But... I have another idea to pitch for you.

The story is told from the perspective of an old man who is dying. About the adventures he had with this traveller from time and Space. This old man is a fixed point in time and the Daleks are trying to kill him to try and upset the balance of the universe and establish themselves as temporal overlords. The Doctor alone can save him but must fight his deadliest foes...

The old man in question - Ian Chesterton!
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 05:17:37 pm »

Tom Baker has said at the weekend that if they want him and he is allowed script approval for his scenes then he would return for the anniversary. He also said he wanted it to be funny.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 05:18:19 pm »

He was a con when he said that btw. Here is a picture Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print