The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 02:45:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

50th Anniversary Plans Underway Already?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary Plans Underway Already?  (Read 1216 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2012, 12:52:42 pm »

The more I hear about this, the less convinced I am that it will ever happen. After listening to Tom Baker on the Big Finish Audios, he is a completely different actor to the one who was the Doctor in the late seventies. I cannot imagine the Moff (someone who is completely convinced of his own abilities) would ever cede script approval to someone else - and I think this whole thing is a little bit of a red herring. I adore Tom Baker unreservedly - but I just can't see this happening.

More to the point, I am not sure I want a multi Doctor story. It seems to be Who tradition that every time an anniversary rocks along, we have a multi Doctor tale (Three Doctors, Five Doctors, Two Doctors) but realistically Christopher Ecclestone is not going to appear. The first three Doctors are dead and irreplaceable (Yes, we got away with Richard Hurndall in the Five Doctors but that was very much accepted in the spirit of compromise). We have the problem of the movie to deal with and the age/appearance of the actors. Writing a really good story with one lead is often difficult. Writing a story with potentially seven leads, all jockeying for screen time might well be impossible.

Similarly, I think there are settings and scenarios that would be disappointing if they choose to go there. In my mind, the Time War is epic and immense with huge, rolling space battles and intense conflict. Any attempt to show the Time War would surely be anti-climactic. Similarly, Gallifrey should not be revisited - RTD tried that in The End of Time and it didn't really work.

So the Moff has one heck of a task ahead of him. There is an expectation that the 50th Anniversary is going to be amazing and mind-blowing and Moff has to manage the expectations of fans. At the same time he has to be original and yet doff his cap to the 50 year history of the show.

This will not be easy for him.

Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2012, 08:36:21 pm »

Here's a transcript of what Tom Baker said about returning...

Well, if they ask me nicely and I could see what they wanted me to do I would consider it because I think the fans have been so good to me, they expect me at least to make an appearance so of course I would consider that. If it was something witty. But I would want to know what the detail of the scene was or what I was supposed to do. I just don’t want to be paraded through as some shagged out old icon of the last century. It’s too much of a source of happiness. I was never really happy until I became Doctor Who. At the same time although, it’s the loveliest job I ever had, it essentially killed my career stone dead because I suddenly realised I liked being Doctor Who more than anything that had ever happened to me. So when I went to play Macbeth the audience wanted me to play Macbeth in the style of Doctor Who and naturally I did. Afterwards a critic said ‘I had no idea how nice Macbeth was’. So I realised then that the people coming to see me – people like you – didn’t want to see me playing Jack the Ripper or whatever it was. So when I went to Ireland to play Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty in the same play, they were absolutely baffled because they were absolutely interchangeable, my reason being the same person, really. So that was another failure, a glorious failure.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2012, 09:47:14 pm »

Well, that doesn't really mean he's demanding script approval, just reserving his right only to say yes if it seems worth it, which is fair enough.  Whether it'll happen or not is another issue - like VA, I'm dubious.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2012, 09:28:22 am »

Matt Smith has confirmed that he knows what Steven Moffat is planning for the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who.

"He was pitching the 50th anniversary at the end of this series and what everything was going to be about and it was... very exciting," said Smith. "No doubt he'll come up with something brilliant because that's the sort of man he is.

"I hope that we mark it in the best way possible and we honour the people that have been in the show before us and we make it as grand and brilliant and inventive and as much an occasion as possible. What I may have an idea, but I can't tell you, I'm afraid."

"Who knows?" he said. "I think it's an exciting idea. Whether it would be possible, or whether it could ever happen I just don't know, but whatever we can do to mark that 50th anniversary will be spectacular, that much I do know.

"Nothing's set in stone. I imagine there will be a script knocking around about Christmas and there we will develop further and shoot it next spring."

Everyone leaves eventually no, I'm not leaving any time soon," he insisted. "I am coming back for the 50th anniversary. To suggest I am quitting now is wrong."
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2012, 01:20:10 pm »

Not sure if it has been mentioned in here already, but it has been confirmed that a special episode will be airing for the anniversary, described as 'a love letter to the fans' and 'event tv'.

I want at least 20 companions please Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2012, 06:48:45 pm »

Oh, at least.  That, plus at least half a dozen Doctors, the Master, Daleks and Cybermen has to be the absolute minimum  And perhaps the return of the Valyard Cool
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 02:07:37 pm »

Of the 50th, Moff has said:

"They are immense, they are considerable," he promised. "[The episodes] will be full of tremendous surprises. But they wouldn't be surprises if I accidentally said them now, would they? But I promise you, we're going to take over television. Trust me."
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2013, 08:19:52 pm »

I have a couple of things to add to the 50th wish list:

1. If it is to be a series of episodes, is there any chance we could have one written or at least co-written by Terrance D1cks. If it is a true love letter to the fans, what better way to do this than to infuse it with the spirit of Classic Who!

2. Two words; Ian Chesterton. The link to the very first episode. He must be in there somewhere.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2013, 12:08:24 pm »

Tennant was on Jonathan Ross last night being pretty cagey, and possibly revealing too much by trying to reveal nothing.

Jonathan: This year is the Fiftieth anniversary of Doctor Who

David: Is it? I hadn’t noticed

Jonathan: I believe they’re planning something special

David: I believe, I don’t know

Jonathan: I know you’re an honest man, so if I ask you directly, so no one has spoken to you about…

David: No one has spoken… I know nothing.

Jonathan: No one has spoken to you?

David: I know nothing.

Jonathan: No one has spoken to you, saying its the fiftieth anniversary”

David: In make up tonight this lovely lady came in, who I’d never met before and aid “hello I’m from the BBC” I went “oh hello, nice to meet you.” “I’ve been sent to say that anything that the Doctor Who 50th anniversary must not be mentioned on television.” That’s how scared they are. I don’t know anything, they’re sending out spies to shut me up from telling you things I don’t know.

Jonathan: They haven’t said to you are you free, do you have a gap in your work diary at any stage this year.

David: I have not had a conversation like that

Jonathan: Has anyone had a conversation on your behalf about your diary, is there someone who keeps your diary who for the sake of honesty ininterviews like this who would not yet have spoken to you about chunks of time you might have put by to visit Wales this year

David:  I don’t know if I’ll be going to Wales, I couldn’t…

Jonathan: So you’re going to film it here in London?
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2013, 12:49:26 pm »

Also from Anneke Wills, when asked if she woud like to return in some capacity:

“Oh listen, any damn thing! Of course! But at the same time I don’t want to, because on screen you look ten years older. Perhaps if I had prosthetics. But everyone keep your fingers crossed, because the 50th is coming up and we’re all hoping to get work… And Frazer Hines’s knees still look good! There’s all sorts of secrets going on but I can’t tell you.”

Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2013, 01:56:28 pm »

Isn't it the case that because the BBC is publicly funded, they are not allowed to tell lies if questioned about what they are doing? So if a reporter says 'Is the Master returning to DW', they can't say no if in fact he is.

If Tennant really wasn't returning, then saying no would be no problem at all. And also, if he knew nothing, why would the BBC send someone to the ITV studios to tell him not to talk about the anniversary of the show which he knows nothing about anyways?
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2013, 04:19:43 pm »

1. If it is to be a series of episodes, is there any chance we could have one written or at least co-written by Terrance D1cks. If it is a true love letter to the fans, what better way to do this than to infuse it with the spirit of Classic Who!

2. Two words; Ian Chesterton. The link to the very first episode. He must be in there somewhere.

I love both of those - but they'd have to retract what Sarah Jane said about Ian and Barbara not having aged a day Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2013, 09:07:44 pm »

I love both of those - but they'd have to retract what Sarah Jane said about Ian and Barbara not having aged a day Cool

Yes, that poses a little problem!  But however they do it, he should be in there. I adored the Five Doctors and my only problem with it was the lack of Ian (he had Coronation St. commitments).

Also, I would like it directed by Graeme Harper.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2013, 01:43:26 pm »

Isn't it the case that because the BBC is publicly funded, they are not allowed to tell lies if questioned about what they are doing? So if a reporter says 'Is the Master returning to DW', they can't say no if in fact he is.

If Tennant really wasn't returning, then saying no would be no problem at all. And also, if he knew nothing, why would the BBC send someone to the ITV studios to tell him not to talk about the anniversary of the show which he knows nothing about anyways?

He'll be back, if even for only a cameo. I don't doubt it for a second.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2013, 01:45:22 pm »

Yes, that poses a little problem!  But however they do it, he should be in there. I adored the Five Doctors and my only problem with it was the lack of Ian (he had Coronation St. commitments).

Also, I would like it directed by Graeme Harper.

Ian should definitely return in some form. Even if it's only recorded inserts like they did with Hartnell in The Three Doctors. And with Sarah Jane, she did say it was only a rumour. Or perhaps she was just teasing. I think it was vague enough to gloss over.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2013, 01:42:02 pm »

Isn't the anniversary episode also the 800th? I think Gaimans is also the 100th from NuWho.
Report Spam   Logged
Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2013, 12:30:20 pm »

Isn't the anniversary episode also the 800th? I think Gaimans is also the 100th from NuWho.

Well The Snowmen was 790. We have 8 more for this series, the anniversary (assuming there is just one episode) will be 799 and Christmas (assuming there is one) would be 800. Gaimans is the 100th of the new run.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 12:55:28 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/A-New-Dimension-for-Doctor-Whos-Fiftieth-Anniversary

The BBC have just announced that Doctor Who is going into 3D.  Which is great, I suppose, for the two people in the country with 3D televisions.  Which definitely doesn't include me  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2013, 10:54:23 pm »

The only positive spin I can put on the 3D story is that it might mean cinema screenings of the 50th Special - a chance to mingle with other like-minded souls? If they do this, I hope it is a simulcast and not a preview!
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2013, 10:15:29 pm »

Another thought that struck me today - considering what other 50th anniversary it is this November, could the episode have something to do with JFK?  That would be a nod not only to the start of the classic series but also to the start of the reboot, and we already know the Ninth Doctor was there in the crowd.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: