The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 06:07:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Wiped: Doctor Who's Missing Episodes

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiped: Doctor Who's Missing Episodes  (Read 131 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:59:16 am »

In the 1960s, the BBC screened 253 episodes of its cult science fiction show Doctor Who, starring William Hartnell and then Patrick Troughton as the time travelling Doctor. Yet by 1975, the Corporation had wiped the master tapes of every single one of these episodes. Of the 124 Doctor Who episodes starring Jon Pertwee shown between 1970 and 1974, the BBC destroyed over half of the original transmission tapes within two years of their original broadcast.

In the years that followed, the BBC, along with dedicated fans of the series, began the arduous task of trying to track down copies of as many missing Doctor Who episodes as possible. The search covered BBC sales vaults, foreign television stations, overseas archives, and numerous networks of private film collectors, until the tally of missing programmes was reduced to just 108 episodes.

For the first time, this book looks in detail at how the episodes came to be missing in the first place, and examines how material subsequently came to be returned to the BBC. Along the way, those people involved in the recovery of lost slices of Doctor Who's past tell their stories in candid detail, many for the very first time.

Anyone reading/got/getting this? I picked it up a few days ago and its really good but its not an easy read. The Author gets very technical throughout listing codes and taping registrations and whatnot, but some of the information about what happened to the missing episodes and the liklihood of getting them back is really interesting. Its also really insightful about just what exactly happened when they were junked in the first place. Its a bit like an exposé in parts. I havent finished it yet, but I will update further when I do Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 12:07:29 pm »

I heard about this book but haven't seen it as of yet.  Wouldn't mind giving it a go, but I have to admit that it's not high on mu list atm as there's so much coming out soon as it is.  Such a shame that they used to wipe old tapes of shows, there must to toons of performances we will never see due to old policies Sad
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 05:57:41 pm »

The premise of it sounds brilliant, but I have heard from a few places that it is really technical and a bit of a hard read so I think I might give this one a miss
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 10:23:05 pm »

I didn't know about this and now I have something new to add to my Xmas list (which currently reads like a Forbidden Planet stock-taking list). As a footnote, the author, Richard Molesworth is the chap who adds the production subtitles to the DVDs released by 2Entertain so there is a weight of knowledge behind this book. I am looking forward to this.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 10:24:50 pm »

Is he the guy who does those? I didnt know that
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 10:30:32 pm »

Is he the guy who does those? I didnt know that

They are my hands-down favourite extra on the DVDs Smiley This guy might not have done all of them - but he did the lions share.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 05:26:30 pm »

Yea I love to read them, though I usually find myself missing half of the goings on so that I can read them Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: