The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 01:33:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

River Love

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: River Love  (Read 1982 times)
RiverandTheDoctor
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Tenth Doctor
Favourite Companion: River Song

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Topic Starter Level 1 10 Posts
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2011, 08:33:00 pm »

As you can probably tell from my screenname, I love River Song! She's my favorite companion and I hope that she'll eventually be a full time companion and get her name in the credits, Alex Kingston deserves it.  Afro

From a feminist perspective, River brings so much to the show! She's a truly independent woman and although I think it's obvious she's in love with The Doctor and he means a lot to her and she's even willing to die for him, he is not the summation of her universe. She still has adventures and a life independent of him, she can take care of herself, she can save him and the universe, instead of him being the one that needs to save her (and the universe) all the time. It's so refreshing to see this kind of woman on Doctor Who, let alone on television. I'm constantly astounded by the stereotypes and gender roles that River inverts, displaces, and outright defies. (i.e. "Hello, Sweetie," her costume choices, and her titles - Doctor Song and Professor Song - are all examples of this.) She's an older woman who has not lost her sexuality, yet she isn't oversexualized like a majority of women on television are. She also strong (emotionally and physically), independent, and yes, badass  Wink yet she's still flawed like every person out there, certainly not a Mary-Sue.

I'm invested in River Song until the end and I cannot thank Steven Moffat enough for gifting us such a brilliant, innovative portrayal of womanhood. River Song makes me proud!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: