The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 01:46:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

River Love

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: River Love  (Read 1897 times)
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2011, 07:11:41 pm »

1 week today!!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2011, 09:55:32 pm »

I absolutely can't wait to see River again. I'm as excited for that as I am the return of the show itself, I think
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2011, 03:42:39 pm »

I thought it was probably germane to give this a quick bump and say I wonder how we will feel about River in a few weeks time. She has really polarised fans - with some loving and some hating - but I think we are about to get a bit of pay off on her character development. I can't wait to see what the Moff has lined up for us Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2011, 07:07:22 pm »

I am excited about knowing more about her, but at the same time I am a bit worried that that might mean the end for her. I hope that we see a lot more of her even after we know her secrets
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2011, 10:58:13 am »

I am excited about knowing more about her, but at the same time I am a bit worried that that might mean the end for her. I hope that we see a lot more of her even after we know her secrets

Yea I agree. If they get rid of her just because we know her secret it will be a travesty
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2011, 12:59:47 pm »

Yea I agree. If they get rid of her just because we know her secret it will be a travesty

She implied in TTOA/FAS that she has met several incarnations, and there is still a lot in her diary that isnt covered, so hopefully she will stick around. Maybe even full time. I'd love that
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2011, 02:58:22 pm »

Well the more the better I say. Id squee myself to death if she became a full time companion!
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2011, 09:47:32 pm »

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but River has grown on me after watching some of the episodes she's in again... Such a lovely character, and I've finally seen that caring side to her which I never thought she had...n  Embarrassed Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2011, 09:50:05 pm »

River is awesome Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2011, 11:40:38 am »

I'm still on the fence. She grows on me more each time I see her. Partly because I feel I am 'getting' the character more and partly because listening to all the crazies and their crazy reasons why she is so awful makes me realise she isnt all that bad after all
Report Spam   Logged
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2011, 07:18:09 pm »

I was so happy to see her again this weekend. She came back better than ever and it really felt like she was part of the core team as apposed to a guest/recurring character. Her story is getting more involved and I am getting more gripped by it each time we see her. I can't wait to see her more this series!
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2011, 07:27:40 pm »

I feel the same. And if I didn't love her character enough that scene where she was talking to Rory about what she knows lies in her future (I won't say more than that so as not to spoil!) made me feel for her even more.

Glad to see her more as part of the team so far.

... and partly because listening to all the crazies and their crazy reasons why she is so awful makes me realise she isnt all that bad after all.

And this is so true!

Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2011, 08:42:20 pm »

I feel the same. And if I didn't love her character enough that scene where she was talking to Rory about what she knows lies in her future (I won't say more than that so as not to spoil!) made me feel for her even more.

... and partly because listening to all the crazies and their crazy reasons why she is so awful makes me realise she isnt all that bad after all.

And this is so true!

I'm so over it! It always seems to be the same type of person who keeps slagging her off all the time. We don't get much of it here luckily, but look a little further afield and you find it. Its a very small minority of people trying to sound like a very vocal majority, saying the same crap over and over again hoping that others will back them up to validate their insecurities which they then take out on the character. There are characters I absolutely HATE in television shows but instead of spending all my time bitching about them to feel better about myself, I just get past it and don't acknowledge them once I have stopped watching. It really is that easy.

River Song was brilliant in the last episode. She was written brilliantly, she was acted brilliantly and she was a total asset to the episode. The scenes she did with the Doctor were fun and added nicely to her mystery and the scenes with Rory were superb. Very subtly played and very touching. The more we see of her this series, the better!
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2011, 09:29:37 pm »

And this is so true!

I'm so over it! It always seems to be the same type of person who keeps slagging her off all the time. We don't get much of it here luckily, but look a little further afield and you find it. Its a very small minority of people trying to sound like a very vocal majority, saying the same crap over and over again hoping that others will back them up to validate their insecurities which they then take out on the character. There are characters I absolutely HATE in television shows but instead of spending all my time ****ing about them to feel better about myself, I just get past it and don't acknowledge them once I have stopped watching. It really is that easy.

River Song was brilliant in the last episode. She was written brilliantly, she was acted brilliantly and she was a total asset to the episode. The scenes she did with the Doctor were fun and added nicely to her mystery and the scenes with Rory were superb. Very subtly played and very touching. The more we see of her this series, the better!

I couldnt agree more. I went through the same stuff a few years back with Donna. Everyone was hating on her and saying crap and it used to frustrate the hell out of me because I could see how great she was. Its the same with River. I will refrain from saying too much as my thoughts on the type of person who seems to be on at her all the time runs quite personal and I don't want to start arguements here, but as you say its a minority trying to act like a majority. If her being in the show is causing people to react in such a volatile manner, perhaps they should do themselves a favour and not tune in until she isnt in it anymore
Report Spam   Logged

DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2011, 03:32:49 am »

I wish River was going to be in every episode this season.  She makes them so much more fun!  The flirting and bantering between her and the Doctor is *hilarious* ("I'm quite the screamer" made me pause the episode for about 10 minutes so I could just laugh without missing anything!).  Their relationship is so tragic though, imagine every time you meet the person you love they know you a little bit less... so sad.  And yet she soldiers on anyway. 
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2011, 05:02:40 pm »

Well I always loved her, but its nice after reading some negative stuff to come in here and see some people slowly coming around to the character and her awesomeness
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
RiverandTheDoctor
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Tenth Doctor
Favourite Companion: River Song

View Profile
Topic Starter Level 1 10 Posts
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2011, 08:33:00 pm »

As you can probably tell from my screenname, I love River Song! She's my favorite companion and I hope that she'll eventually be a full time companion and get her name in the credits, Alex Kingston deserves it.  Afro

From a feminist perspective, River brings so much to the show! She's a truly independent woman and although I think it's obvious she's in love with The Doctor and he means a lot to her and she's even willing to die for him, he is not the summation of her universe. She still has adventures and a life independent of him, she can take care of herself, she can save him and the universe, instead of him being the one that needs to save her (and the universe) all the time. It's so refreshing to see this kind of woman on Doctor Who, let alone on television. I'm constantly astounded by the stereotypes and gender roles that River inverts, displaces, and outright defies. (i.e. "Hello, Sweetie," her costume choices, and her titles - Doctor Song and Professor Song - are all examples of this.) She's an older woman who has not lost her sexuality, yet she isn't oversexualized like a majority of women on television are. She also strong (emotionally and physically), independent, and yes, badass  Wink yet she's still flawed like every person out there, certainly not a Mary-Sue.

I'm invested in River Song until the end and I cannot thank Steven Moffat enough for gifting us such a brilliant, innovative portrayal of womanhood. River Song makes me proud!
Report Spam   Logged
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2011, 03:09:50 am »

^ Yes!!  I so agree with you!  I detest weak "damsel in distress" female characters.  She's incredibly resourceful - look at all the shenanigans she went through in "The Pandorica Opens", just to get the Doctor's attention.  Where does she get all that stuff anyway - guns, clothes, equipment - if she's in prison?  Which also raises the point - if she can escape any time she wants, then why does she stay?
Report Spam   Logged
RiverandTheDoctor
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Tenth Doctor
Favourite Companion: River Song

View Profile
Topic Starter Level 1 10 Posts
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2011, 03:48:50 am »

Where does she get all that stuff anyway - guns, clothes, equipment - if she's in prison?  Which also raises the point - if she can escape any time she wants, then why does she stay?

That's another part of her character that I like: she's very intricate. I think she stays because she does feel personal regret for whatever she did and feels that she deserves to be punished for it, but that doesn't stop her from leaving if she's needed elsewhere and/or by The Doctor. But then she goes back, to finish the rest of her sentence. (I think she probably went back at the end of TBB and hid the vortex manipulator in her cell, which was how she was able to leave after getting her letter in TIA.) And of course, if my speculation is right, then she could have a house/condo/apartment/secret someplace where she has all of her stuff that she'd need access to when and if she does need to escape the Stormcage.
Report Spam   Logged
missadric2
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Peter Davison
Favourite Companion: Adric/ Amy Pond

Imagination is the key to Everything

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 3
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2011, 11:56:26 am »

Her character is just completely different to the ones I've seen before I mean Rose was independent like her but she doesn't need saving every second love her more than ever Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

'An apple a day keeps the.....oh never mind!' - fifth Doctor

The 5th Doctor will always have a special place in my heart and will always be MY Doctor

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: