The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 09:05:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Third Doctor - Frontier In Space

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Third Doctor - Frontier In Space  (Read 1222 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« on: November 04, 2010, 02:26:23 pm »

My gran, knowing that I have recently gotten into Doctor Who decided to buy me a DVD today. She has just popped around and said she was in town and saw it and thought I might like it. It's a box set with Frontier In Space and Planet of the Daleks. Ive never seen a classic story in my life but she paid £29.99 for it so I am going to give it a go. I'll watch both and hope for the best but I am going to start with 'Frontier' as that seems like the first of the two. Whats everyones thoughts on the story? There should be some replies by the time I finish it
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 03:05:18 pm »

They're both excellent stories - some find that Planet of the Daleks rambles a bit, but I like it.  They were the first genuinely linked successive stories (as opposed to finishing one story with the first few seconds of the next) in that Planet of the Daleks actually deals with the situation raised in Frontier in Space, though it has a different location and set of characters.  It also makes some references to the second ever DW story, The Daleks, though you should be able to follow it without knowing that.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 05:20:29 pm »

Ive done three episodes so far and I love it. The first episode was a bit jarring. It took some getting used to what with it being so retro, but when you put that aside its really really good. I love Jon Pertwee and Jo Grant. She is so ditzy but totally likable. The guy who plays the Master is really good too. The Costumes and make up are a lot better than I expected. The glove puppet monster that Jo sees at the beginning is a bit silly, but the Draconians look really neat. I didnt think I would be so keen, but I can't wait to finish it now and watch Planet of the Daleks
Report Spam   Logged

TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 05:24:09 pm »

I love both these stories. Its a random jumping on point but still a great couple to get you started and ease you in. You need to thank your nan for converting you to the classics, even if it was an accident Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:46:46 pm »

Frontier is a good little story and the chemistry between the leads is brilliant. Planet of the Daleks isnt one of my favourites though to be honest
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 02:53:42 pm »

Frontier is a good little story and the chemistry between the leads is brilliant. Planet of the Daleks isnt one of my favourites though to be honest

I disagree on that one. I love both, but for me I think the latter is the better of the two
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 08:08:28 pm »

I finished all 6 episodes yesterday and I absolutely loved it. I had so little expectation that I think it couldnt possibly have dissapointed. I now consider myself converted Tongue I have ordered 'The Beginning' boxset online today so I am going to watch Series 3, 4 and the specials and then start on the classics.

Ive also done the first 4 episodes of Planet of the Daleks today. Its brilliant. I really didnt know I would like the classics so much. There are a few bits of this story that I find confusing because I dont know anything about the Thal and Dalek history but the story itself is really enjoyable and Im hoping to finish it this evening
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 10:34:06 pm »

In many ways its a brilliant choice to start with. Its certainly not a story i'd recommend jumping into Classic Who but having said that you really get a flavour of the old show with these. Frontier in Space has the distinction of being written as a show almost entirely to set up the Planet of the Daleks. I enjoyed Frontier - its what is know as a 'Space Opera' - part intergalactic political drama, part sci fi drama with individual personality conflict woven in. I really love Planet of the Daleks - it was Terry Nation's return to the show after a long lay off and it really has a good feel to it. The Doctor and Jo have a really good rapport in this - although they are separated for most of it. The Thals are exactly as Nation wrote them in 'The Daleks' (and as he would un-write them a couple of years later in Genesis of the Daleks). Jo, I really think does a brilliant job and the whole story jumps along at a good pace. Like I say, its an unusual choice - but actually an inspired entry point as it is vintage Classic Who - everything I love about the old Doctor Who is in these episodes. I'm glad you're enjoying so far Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 03:06:28 am »

The boxset you've ordered will fill in the background on the Daleks and Thals.  I'm glad you're getting into the Classic series.  I love the new series, of course, but there's so much richness behind it.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 08:35:03 pm »

I finished POTD and it was brilliant. I really loved both stories so once I get the other box set and get around to watching it I am going to make a big effort to watch as many classics as I can, in as much of an order as I can. Arent there quite a few missing? Will it all still make sense if I dont see them?
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 10:45:02 pm »

It shouldn't matter too much, since you know the basics of what DW is about.  It's a good idea to start with each Doctor's first story if possible, though they're not always among the best.  Perhaps the best debut is Spearhead from Space (3rd Doctor).
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 05:52:43 pm »

The first episode of An Unearthly Child (the first story) is great because it sets the premise up well, but the rest of it is a bit harder to get through. The rest of the stuff on that box set is pretty good though
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 07:06:05 pm »

I love Planet of the Daleks, but not 100% sure ive seen Frontier. PotD though is a brilliant story and lots of fun.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 09:51:25 pm »

The First Doctor box set arrived this morning Cheesy

I opened it to have a look at the leaf notes and covers and stuff, but I wont be watching for a few weeks until I have got through series 3 and 4 of DW. I will update and discuss with you all once I do though. Love chatting about the classics
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 10:00:44 pm »

Im sure you will enjoy it. I havent watched The Beginning box for a while. May need to give it another look soon
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 01:15:43 am »

Me too.

Actually, one thing that might throw you a bit if you're not expecting it is that the Doctor starts off as a much less sympathetic character than he becomes.  Don't worry, he mellows over the first few stories, though the 1st Doc was always the most abrasive.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 11:35:01 am »

Me too.

Actually, one thing that might throw you a bit if you're not expecting it is that the Doctor starts off as a much less sympathetic character than he becomes.  Don't worry, he mellows over the first few stories, though the 1st Doc was always the most abrasive.

I noticed that when I watched An Unearthly Child - coming off the back of watching all of New Who it was a bit of a shock. I quickly grew to like him though  Smiley

Reminds me I must go back to watching the Classics soon - I started off so well  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 07:22:43 pm »

I remember watching an Unearthly Child in the early 80s and it was a shock even to me watching it then (and that was 4 Doctors in) so I can imagine it was a massive change. Yet funnily enough, I suspect deep down the Ian & Barbara model is something that Moff is trying to get back to with married Amy and Rory. Nothing changes under the sun.... Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 10:28:35 pm »

Im intrigued now about the First Doctor. I expected them all to be charming and placid but it seems like the first one is a grumpy git Tongue Im sure that if I watch enough I will 'get' him though and probably love him like the others I have seen
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 10:54:49 pm »

Im intrigued now about the First Doctor. I expected them all to be charming and placid but it seems like the first one is a grumpy git Tongue Im sure that if I watch enough I will 'get' him though and probably love him like the others I have seen

He has a real 'alien' quality about him. The thing I love about him is that he really conveys the impression that he views humans as one step removed from the Ants. I think, in places, nostalgia gives him a helping hand (most of the fans I know tend to prefer Troughton as the Doctor) but I guess you can never underestimate the impact of Hartnell. He got the show off the ground and was as popular as any actor to play the role. If you're looking for a real insight into the way he plays the role, perhaps jump straight to The Dalek Invasion of Earth or The War Machines - they are real quality.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: