The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 04:28:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Third Doctor - Frontier In Space

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Third Doctor - Frontier In Space  (Read 1218 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 11:00:33 pm »

It took me about 3 watches of The Wat Machines before I 'got' it, but it got better every time I watched and I love it now. One of my favourite Hartnell's
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 11:34:57 pm »

Im intrigued now about the First Doctor. I expected them all to be charming and placid but it seems like the first one is a grumpy git Tongue Im sure that if I watch enough I will 'get' him though and probably love him like the others I have seen

He has a real 'alien' quality about him. The thing I love about him is that he really conveys the impression that he views humans as one step removed from the Ants. I think, in places, nostalgia gives him a helping hand (most of the fans I know tend to prefer Troughton as the Doctor) but I guess you can never underestimate the impact of Hartnell. He got the show off the ground and was as popular as any actor to play the role. If you're looking for a real insight into the way he plays the role, perhaps jump straight to The Dalek Invasion of Earth or The War Machines - they are real quality.

Or The Aztecs - the only time in the classic series the Doctor ever had a romantic subplot, which he handles beautifully  Cool

I always very much felt that it's contact with Ian and Barbara that gets him used to humans and makes him the time lord he becomes.  He's grumpy a lot of the time, but there are moments when he switches on the charm, and you can see the later Doctors in him.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 04:50:09 pm »

Im intrigued now about the First Doctor. I expected them all to be charming and placid but it seems like the first one is a grumpy git Tongue Im sure that if I watch enough I will 'get' him though and probably love him like the others I have seen

He has a real 'alien' quality about him. The thing I love about him is that he really conveys the impression that he views humans as one step removed from the Ants. I think, in places, nostalgia gives him a helping hand (most of the fans I know tend to prefer Troughton as the Doctor) but I guess you can never underestimate the impact of Hartnell. He got the show off the ground and was as popular as any actor to play the role. If you're looking for a real insight into the way he plays the role, perhaps jump straight to The Dalek Invasion of Earth or The War Machines - they are real quality.

Or The Aztecs - the only time in the classic series the Doctor ever had a romantic subplot, which he handles beautifully  Cool

I loved that. The whole thing with the cocoa was a great touch, and as you said, handled brilliantly
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 01:45:58 am »

Frontier in Space is an odd story that I thought was enjoyable. The machine with the monster hands was kind of silly but I liked the tiny alien in the chair because it was such a nice change in design. As for Planet of the Daleks, it's one of my early memories of getting into classic Who and I really like it.
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 10:00:45 am »

I would recommend The War Machines. I think it is Hartnell's best performance and shows how the character of the Doctor developed from the first few stories where his motivations are, shall we say, more self-interested and less heroic.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 03:46:06 pm »

Frontier in Space is an odd story that I thought was enjoyable. The machine with the monster hands was kind of silly but I liked the tiny alien in the chair because it was such a nice change in design. As for Planet of the Daleks, it's one of my early memories of getting into classic Who and I really like it.

I just realised, coming back to this thread, that you're actually talking about Colony in Space.  Some of the similar names confuse me at times - like The Seeds of Death/The Seeds of Doom, or The Time Monster/The Time Warrior.  Also, with rather less justification, Image of the Fendahl/The Curse of Fenric.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: