The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 09:20:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Jo Grant

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jo Grant  (Read 643 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: November 05, 2010, 10:56:52 pm »

Following her triumphant and thoroughly wonderful return in Death of the Doctor it struck me that there is no thread on here in praise of my childhood sweetheart. Jo Grant (now Jones) was, in many ways, the template for a Classic Who companion. In the words of the great Terry Dicks 'She was there to scream and pass the Doctor his test tubes and tell him how brilliant he was'. So her design was rooted very much in the traditional patriarchal (indeed positively sexist) mould of the Bond girl. Yet mid way through her time with the Doctor, something very strange happened. Yes, she was scatty and wore wonderfully short 70s dresses, but she started to exhibit independent thought, she would scream but she would also rally the troops and force the Doctor to contemplate alternatives. The Jo Grant that met the Doctor in Terror of the Autons was a very different companion to the one who went to the Planet of the Daleks. She was fun and jokey but on her departure, the Doctor - this ancient, venerable God-like creature - actually shed a tear so close had he become to her. More than any other classic Who companion (much like Donna in NuWho) Jo's was a story of growth. Whether it was intended by Letts/Dicks as an arc or whether it just happened once they realised they'd got a gem of an actress in Katy Manning I don't know but Jo Jones lit up the screen in SJA in the same way 38 years ago that she lit up the screen in Terror of the Autons. And I think she's fab Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:15:25 pm »

This. Totally this.

Jo is one of my favourite ever companions and her chemistry with Jon Pertwee's Doctor is one of the best we have had in the last 47 years. Katy Manning is such a great actress and she made Jo one of the best companions out there. I read somewhere before that her leaving, as well as the death of Delgado, is the reason that JP decided to call it a day. Her reappearance in SJA had nme all sorts of excited and I would love to see her come back to the main show.

Also, Something about Jo Grant always puts me in mind of Paloma Faith.

They have a similar looking face and kinda talk and act the same. I love Paloma Faith too, so this is no bad thing.

I love Jo Grant Cheesy

Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:26:33 pm »

I saw a clip of her first introduced on YouTube.

But the first time I saw her properly was in "The Death of the Doctor".

The real bits left of her (a lot of plastic surgery, lol) were fantastic. I loved how excited she got about her travels with the Doctor, oh and seeing a Sonic Lipstick made her day  Cheesy

She also posed naked with a Dalek, but I don't know if that counts for anything Tongue

Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:29:35 pm »

I think she has had her teeth done, but believe it or not I think her face is pretty much intact. She even comments about people thinking she has had surgery in this months DWM, saying her lips are big enough without her needing to tamper with them.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 11:32:08 pm »

I think she has had her teeth done, but believe it or not I think her face is pretty much intact. She even comments about people thinking she has had surgery in this months DWM, saying her lips are big enough without her needing to tamper with them.
Oh.

She looks like the Joker Tongue lol
Report Spam   Logged

What a bunch of a-holes.
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 11:37:25 pm »

If you watch full episodes with her from the past and see how her face moves and looks you can see she has a pretty animated look about her, but even then in her early 20s she has a bit of a surgical type look in a lot of scenes though you know she hasnt had any work done then. Her lips though are massive so she is best off leaving surgery alone or she would end up looking like Lesley Ash Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 11:41:59 pm »

Like I said, Ive seen some clips of her on YouTube, and I can see a difference.

But maybe Im just not "used" to her.
Report Spam   Logged

What a bunch of a-holes.
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 11:43:47 pm »

Yea, maybe thats it
Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 01:52:59 pm »

I love Jo. She is my favourite companion of all time and one of the main reasons I am so glad I started watching the classics. I have seen and read her intervies and she is awesome in real life too. She has this zany personality that really comes off in her performances and has a constant cheeky look in her eye like she is up to something or knows something naughty that nobody else is in on. I would love to see her make a return to the new series of Doctor Who. She had brilliant chemistry with Matt Smith in the Sarah Jane Adventures story and I would love to see them work together again on the main show.
Report Spam   Logged

Nortlov
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee

View Profile
Level 3 10 Posts Search
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 08:15:59 pm »

I also have a place in my heart for Jo. She's one of the reasons I love the 3rd Doctor's series.

P.S. This is completely irrelevant, but I love your profile gif, Scott.
Report Spam   Logged

House: "Fear me, I've killed hundreds of Time Lords"
The Doctor: "Fear me, I've killed all of them."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: