The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Steven Moffat Slates Doctor Who

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steven Moffat Slates Doctor Who  (Read 533 times)
Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 03:43:41 pm »

Ahhh, the Moff haters out in force again getting their knickers in a bunch over an article written years ago and for which he apologised for in any event.  Any excuse to get your pitchforks out again and start chasing down the 'monster' that is Moffat.

At the end of the day, Moffat *is* a Doctor Who fan, he has been since he was a child (long before some of the pitchfork wielders were even a twinkle in the milkman's eye).  He has even contributed to extras on the Classic Who DVDs (Earthshock in 2003 immediately springs to mind) before Who was brought back.  So, the man had every right to express an opinion on the show just like everyone else on this forum and elsewhere.  But does expressing a negative opinion on a show preclude you from ever working on it in the future?  Of course it bloody doesn't!  The man cares about the show and has his vision for it.  You may like it, you may not, but calling him a 'total berk' says more about the person saying it that Moffat himself, in my opinion.

Finally, both RTD and Moffat know how Who fandom works.  They know that every single thing said about the show will get dissected, over-analysed and blown out of all proportion and Moff, if you don't know already, plays up to that.  He likes feeding the fans mis-information and watching their head spin round in a tizz and implode.  That doesn't mean he doesn't *respect* the fan base and he isn't going to run it into the ground like some of you think.  He is too much of a fan for that.  But it doesn't mean he will do things RTD's way, Phillip Hinchcliffe's way, Barry Lett's way or Verity Newman's way.  He will do it *his* way.

So, stop reading too much in an historic article just to give yourselves another excuse to have a pop at Moffat (which, I will say this forum has a tendency to do which is why I don't visit often), accept his regime and enjoy it.  If you can't, then I'm sad for you but you don't seem to grasp the tenet of the show which has kept it going and fresh for 47 years.  To quote the Sixth Doctor: 

"Change, my dear, and no a moment too soon"
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 04:01:12 pm »

Ahhh, the Moff haters out in force again getting their knickers in a bunch over an article written years ago and for which he apologised for in any event.  Any excuse to get your pitchforks out again and start chasing down the 'monster' that is Moffat.

At the end of the day, Moffat *is* a Doctor Who fan, he has been since he was a child (long before some of the pitchfork wielders were even a twinkle in the milkman's eye).  He has even contributed to extras on the Classic Who DVDs (Earthshock in 2003 immediately springs to mind) before Who was brought back.  So, the man had every right to express an opinion on the show just like everyone else on this forum and elsewhere.  But does expressing a negative opinion on a show preclude you from ever working on it in the future?  Of course it bloody doesn't!  The man cares about the show and has his vision for it.  You may like it, you may not, but calling him a 'total berk' says more about the person saying it that Moffat himself, in my opinion.

Finally, both RTD and Moffat know how Who fandom works.  They know that every single thing said about the show will get dissected, over-analysed and blown out of all proportion and Moff, if you don't know already, plays up to that.  He likes feeding the fans mis-information and watching their head spin round in a tizz and implode.  That doesn't mean he doesn't *respect* the fan base and he isn't going to run it into the ground like some of you think.  He is too much of a fan for that.  But it doesn't mean he will do things RTD's way, Phillip Hinchcliffe's way, Barry Lett's way or Verity Newman's way.  He will do it *his* way.

So, stop reading too much in an historic article just to give yourselves another excuse to have a pop at Moffat (which, I will say this forum has a tendency to do which is why I don't visit often), accept his regime and enjoy it.  If you can't, then I'm sad for you but you don't seem to grasp the tenet of the show which has kept it going and fresh for 47 years.  To quote the Sixth Doctor: 

"Change, my dear, and no a moment too soon"

Thats the second time today you have said about not visiting this forum much because of a bias against Moffat, but perhaps if you visited more often you would see a lot of positivity towards him and his work in many, many threads.

In essence, I agree with a lot of what you have said above, so I dont want you to think this reply is an attack. My problem with it though is that you seem to equate disagreeing with his comments in that article with having a vendetta against the man. I can only tell you where I am on this topic and wouldnt want to speak for anyone else, but I am so far happy with his work on the show. Series 5 has been on of my very favourites and I dont think he is running the show into the ground BUT I think his comments in the article in question are out of order. If you read the post Peri-Peri posted before your post, so does Moffat. That doesnt mean I hate the man. That doesnt mean I think he should be deposed. It just means that I think his comments are out of order. His opinions are his own and he is more than entitled to them, but they just dont sit well with me personally. Thats all
Report Spam   Logged

Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 04:05:14 pm »

Quite, which is why I mentioned that Moffat apologised for his comments.
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 04:13:51 pm »

To summarise my point for newcomers, I question the motive behind posting an article from years ago, before Moffat became involved with the production of Doctor Who, and for which he apologised.  I could see the relevance if this article appeared in last week's Radio Times or such like, now that he is showrunner.

Anyway, I've made my point. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 04:37:54 pm »

You only have to have a look at some of the older threads around here to see that Moff gets an equal, if not easier ride that RTD does. You seem to think this is some sort of anti moffat forum, but it just isnt. He gets as much flack on here as anyone else, but you dont seem to have noticed anything other than the few bits against him. People are as entitled to dislike him as others are to think he is the bees knees so I dont really understand why you dont like anyone saying anything negative about him.

I am the one who first posted this article. Not as a way to incite hatred or bitching, but because I found it interesting and amusing and because I can, regardless of when he said it. People have defended his comments in this thread as well as criticised them, but you seem so sure that there is some sort of secret agenda at play that you dont seem to have noticed that. This forum may be many things, but anti Moffat it isnt. Reading threads around here instead of jumping to conclusions would show you that.

I appologise if I seem ranty. I have no issue with you and no intention to start an argument, but I really dont think you are seeing this from both sides. It seems that you came here today expecting a 'we hate Moffat' forum, and so saw nothing else upon your arrival. It really isnt the case, I assure you
Report Spam   Logged

Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 04:44:17 pm »

I don't say I don't like anything being negative said about him.  I don't think I've ever said that.  I question the motives of and stance on Moffat taken by some of the vocal members, particularly some of the moderators.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 04:51:33 pm »

I understand if you would rather not say, but you have been a member here longer than I and so there may have been goings on that I missed, but what moderators do you mean? Ive only really had conversations with The Doc and Peri Peri, and they both seem to like both Moffat and RTD, but the other mods dont really talk all that much so I dont know how they feel either way
Report Spam   Logged

Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 05:12:55 pm »

Moffat must be reading this topic. Tongue He *just* posted this on Twitter.

"The tragedy is - no the irony - I DO take Dr Who seriously. That IS me being serious. Hmm. Just lost the argument, didn't I?"

http://twitter.com/#!/steven_moffat/statuses/1320731048677376
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 05:19:48 pm »

Hehe XD  I think that's in reply to Jimmy McGoven and the Guardian this morning.  Gareth Roberts had me in stitches this morning with his replies XD
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 05:31:14 pm »

The Doc should be happy with this one - http://twitter.com/steven_moffat/status/28018425958

Spending the day with the Doctor in the TARDIS, cos - well cos my heating's broken down

Perhaps Iceman was right and he has been reading this place Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 07:04:42 pm »

I don't say I don't like anything being negative said about him.  I don't think I've ever said that.  I question the motives of and stance on Moffat taken by some of the vocal members, particularly some of the moderators.

With the utmost of respect, and in no way looking to create a bunfight out of this, exactly what is there to question, either of vocal members or the mods?
At the end of the day, opinions are like assholes, we all have one, and we are all entitled to it.
Forgive the blunt language there, but you get my point?

As an example, I'll use myself.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Coupling, Jekyll, Sherlock (even Press Gang, remember that?!) and a lot of what Mr Moffat has done on Doctor Who has been exceptional indeed.
He is undoubtedly a man of talent & I wish I had even 1/3 of it!

However, I do feel he comes across badly - arrogant & full of himself - more often than not in interviews, on twitter, whatever.
I earlier gave the example of my friend attending a writing workshop, and the arrogant person was fully on display therein, sadly.

Now I'm the first to admit I've been very scathing of series 5 on here (I do not post on any other forums, as this is an absolutely wonderful community we have going) - but I have every right to do so, if it is my opinion (it still stands, if you're interested).

Maybe I'm just being self conscious in thinking some of your remarks were aimed at myself, but as previously mentioned, Moderator or not, we are entitled to our opinions, as you are yours.

I very much hope you don't take my reply the wrong way, just trying to smooth things over - we're all here because we love Doctor Who, at the end of the day.

Thx.

Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 09:09:59 pm »

The only Moffat agenda around here seems to be coming from the guy who is saying there is an agenda. He has taken any post with a mention of Stephen Moffat and then accused everyone of having their 'pitchforks' out without actually reading what people have said about him. He seems like one of those people who is such a big fan that he is unable to see anything said in negativity without going off on one!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: