The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 16, 2024, 01:16:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

How long have you been watching Doctor Who?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long have you been watching Doctor Who?  (Read 579 times)
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:21:30 pm »

Simple question to get this all started ...

How long have you been watching Doctor Who? Are you a recent convert or a lifelong fan?

It doesn't matter what your answer is, all are welcome. I'm only a recent convert myself but I'm now making the effort to watch as much Who as I can.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:14:46 pm »

Interestingly for me it has been a lifelong companion. My first regeneration (properly that I can remember) was Logopolis (4 to 5) and the first story that ever properly scared me was Robots of Death when I was 5 Smiley I am actually really envious of peeps who are discovering it now - I wish I could watch it de novo as it were Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 06:30:40 pm »

Consistently since I accidentally caught a Season 2 new series marathon on Scifi chan back in '07. I got curious and began to look up more info on the show, catch up on Season 1 and some of the classics...it became a serious love from that point on.

First ep I ever saw parts of: The Long Game
First ep I ever saw in full: Love and Monsters
Fav finale: Season 3 followed by Season 1 and 2.
Fav Doctor(s): Ten followed by 9, 4, 8, 3. But in the immortal words of the Brig, "Wonderful chap...all of them."
Report Spam   Logged
SamiLeigh
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Ten, he was my Doctor :)
Favourite Companion: Martha.

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 2 Webmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 06:58:42 pm »

the first one i saw bits of was The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, and it scared the hell out of me! Tongue and the first whole one i saw was Gridlock, i remember watching the preview for Daleks In Manhattan/Evolution Of The Daleks, and thinking 'OMG! i so wanna watch that!' and i was hooked from then really Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 06:59:45 pm »

Been a fan since I was a teenager, so about 26 years.  Peter Davison is my Doctor Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
BlueRose

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 07:01:30 pm »

the first one i saw bits of was The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, and it scared the hell out of me! Tongue and the first whole one i saw was Gridlock, i remember watching the preview for Daleks In Manhattan/Evolution Of The Daleks, and thinking 'OMG! i so wanna watch that!' and i was hooked from then really Tongue

I remember watching The Long Game having NO clue what I was watching, and was reminded of a British version of Lexx.

Needless to say...I REALLY miss that aspect of the show. The weirdness bordering on creepy coupled with a Joss Whedon style of execution and plot.
Report Spam   Logged
Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 07:07:33 pm »

I think the Barry Letts/Phillip Hinchliffe era of Who set a standard that has yet to be surpassed, even by RTD, IMO.
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 07:30:00 pm »

I was at my cousin's house when I saw part of Doctor Who for the first time- it was the bit of WW3 where the Doctor, Rose and Harriet Jones come out of Downing Street, and I have to admit I didn't like it...  Angry and then I vowed I'd never watch any Doctor Who  Shocked

But it all changed... I was bored one Saturday and was channel hopping and I decided to watch the episode that was on- which happened to be New Earth... Then I've liked it ever since...

So basically that was a long-winded way of saying I'm quite a "new" Doctor Who viewer...  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 07:34:29 pm »

I actually just started watching in Season 5.  Matt Smith is the first Doctor I saw.  A friend of mine insisted I would like the show and was amazed I had not seen it before.  So I watched The Eleventh Hour when it was on and when it was over I said to myself "How have I lived so long without this show!"  From there I started watching the 10th Doctor episodes on BBC America but got tired of that and got all the DVDs for season 1-4 + Specials.  I am completely hooked Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
BlueRose

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 07:35:56 pm »

I actually just started watching in Season 5.  Matt Smith is the first Doctor I saw.  A friend of mine insisted I would like the show and was amazed I had not seen it before.  So I watched The Eleventh Hour when it was on and when it was over I said to myself "How have I lived so long without this show!"  From there I started watching the 10th Doctor episodes on BBC America but got tired of that and got all the DVDs for season 1-4 + Specials.  I am completely hooked Smiley

For me, seeing Ten's eyes at the beginning of Doomsday sealed it for me. I was blown away by what I was watching and was right there getting my question answered by Rose when the Daleks asked her who the man was.

Needless to say...also quite hooked! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 07:41:11 pm »

That's pretty much where I am - I'd seen odd episodes Tennant first, then Eccleston but series 5 was the first whole series I watched also because a friend told me I would like it (he knows me so well!!!)
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
TheReverendMrMagister
Hatchling

View Profile
Poll Voter Second year Anniversary Multiple Badge Holder
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 09:34:12 pm »

I have been watching Dr Who for thous..... er.... a long time. Lips Sealed
Report Spam   Logged

Mr. Magister raised his arms high and spoke the words of conjuration:
‘Hearken to my voice, oh Dark One;
Ancient and awful; supreme in artifice;
Bearer of power; I conjure thee!
Be present here at my command
And truly do my will!
EVA, EVARA, EGABALA!
GAD, GADOAL, GALDINA!’
13th Doctor
Hatchling

View Profile
Level 2 Second year Anniversary Level 1
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 09:38:11 pm »

Since '71 or so. I was a little kid at the time and watched it with both a grandfather and uncle.
Report Spam   Logged
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 11:18:13 pm »

As long as I remember watching TV I remember Doctor Who.  Just about remember Tom but the Blue Peter episodes for Peter's episodes are where my memory is clearer, I was happy as I know him as the nice vet!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
gabbie
Hatchling

Tardis cat - Jack

View Profile
Poll Voter Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 12:16:05 am »

I started watching around 1974. My local PBS station was introducing Tom Baker as the new Doctor but they started with highlights from Pertwee so that fans would get an idea of what Doctor Who was all about.  The first actual episode I saw was Spearhead from Space.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

beans are evil. bad bad beans.
Tiddybeth
Hatchling

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 12:28:08 am »

I started watching in 1963, The Empty Child. I was 3 and sat on my Dad's knee and anything that scared me my Dad's arm came around me.

I have NEVER missed any episode of DW shown on tv here in the UK, until series 5 (or 1 if Stephen Muppet had got his way) I watched 10 minutes of the first episode of the 11th Doctor,my reaction was so violently anti I gave up on something I have loved and adored for 43 years  Cry
Report Spam   Logged

"Too late,too late can be the cry. So take it if you need it.
There's no such thing as a dirty book,its just the way YOU read it."
Shake That Thing by The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 01:44:34 am »

I've been watching since the '70's (don't remember exactly when).  First Doctor I saw was Tom Baker.  I've seen all the Doctors except the first three.  Baker was my favorite until Eccleston; and now Matt Smith, who I think is absolutely amazing, is my #1 Doc.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
emerald567
Hatchling

View Profile WWW
Webmaster Second year Anniversary Multiple Badge Holder
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 03:00:36 am »

My husband got me interested back in the early 90's, and we would watch it on PBS on Sunday nights. I have seen episodes starting with Tom Baker to the present, though I know that I have missed quite a few of the classic series. Looking forward to seeing the Doctor Who movie with 8th Doctor Paul McGann soon.

I really enjoyed the Classic Who. It was campy, a bit cheesy, and over the top~but I liked it for all of those reasons. I have to say that I fell in love with NuWho from the first episode, Rose. Great effects, characters, and real drama. Eccleston was good, but Tennant was brilliant. Sadly, Series 5 just isn't thrilling me, but I am still a Doctor Who fan! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Beth
emerald567
dishie1
Hatchling

View Profile
Level 2 Second year Anniversary Level 1
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 03:18:59 am »

I started watching in 2007, when BBC America first aired David Tennant's episodes.  I had read somewhere that David Tennant was taking over the role; as a fan of his already, I was really eager to see the show.  I remembered Doctor Who from when I was a child.  They used to show it on PBS on Sundays after The Young Ones!  It never held my interest.  I was not a child that enjoyed sci-fi.  To this day, I have never seen a Star Wars movie (*covers head as readers throw things at me*).  On the surface I always thought of science fiction as lacking in warmth and emotion.  I probably never gave any of it a proper chance, honestly.  New Earth was the first episode I saw on BBC America.  I knew absolutely nothing about the character of The Doctor, so this was a brand new adventure for me.  I love it.  The character, the story, the humor, the heart, I could go on and on.  This was the closest thing to television perfection I'd ever encountered.  Three years later, I am proud to say that I am properly Who-obsessed.      
Report Spam   Logged
Redsmithers83
Hatchling

View Profile
Windows User Poll Voter Second year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 06:35:12 pm »

Hi all,
I've been watching since the first series of the new "The New Doctor". I really enjoyed it and got in to it straight away. Since then i have been trying to watch all the older series and disappointed i didn't watch it earlier!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: