The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 10:18:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Eleven is Awesome!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eleven is Awesome!  (Read 1537 times)
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: August 31, 2010, 05:51:21 pm »

Who's with me?  Grin

I've never been so thrilled so quickly with a new Doctor as I am with Matt Smith's Eleventh Doctor.  When I first saw him in interviews shortly after he'd been cast I was thinking, "You have to be kidding me!  He looks like a teenage refuge from an '80's punk band!"  But by the end of  "The Eleventh Hour" I was completely gob-smacked at how amazing he was.  Series 5 is my favorite season ever; even the lamest episodes that would have been un-watchable with anyone else were fun to watch.  I've watched this season over and over again, something I've never done with previous Who (except a few of Eccleston's episodes).  Plus -- can I say this about someone 20 years younger than I am -- I think he's absolutely gorgeous?   Wink
Report Spam   Logged
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:11:50 pm »

I think he's the best thing about series 5.  That said I did harbour hopes for an older actor.  I applaud him for working well with some IMO awful scripts and directing.  I don't find him attractive, though I enjoy being able to watch the show without hot flushes now.  I think he shines best alongside Arthur Darvill, who I think is excelllent.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:11:15 pm »

Eleven is my favourite, joint with Troughton. I had reservations right up until he started, and when I saw him on Jonathan Ross the week before I though he was a dick, but he won me right over, and like Sleekit said, he had some duff stuff to work with, but for me he always shone. He really impressed me and made episodes I want fond of even more watchable
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:47:38 am »

I think he is fantastic!  And technically he was my first doctor and is what really drew me into the series.  I love that he is so manic and alien and brilliant and a generally crazy.
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:17:42 am »

I think Matt Smith is great as the Doctor! To me he certainly lives up to the high expectations of Tennant!

I remember when I saw the programme about casting the 11th Doctor, I was really happy that it was him, OK, I'd only seen him in the Ruby in the Smoke, and The Shadow in the North, but I had a hunch he was going to be great!

ok, it did take me a couple of watches of the first couple of episdoes to get used to him, but now I have to say that he is deffo my favourite Doctor! I love his youth but also the way he's seen as "wise" almost and how he shows he's old.

Yes, I have to agree that Eleven is Awesome!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 09:55:12 am »

I can remember being hugely disappointed when news broke that he had got the part. I wanted Sean Pertwee as I recall Wink

However...the boy has done good  Smiley Had me hooked from the moment he popped his head up in TEH Cool

I'm just hoping that with all this nonsense about series splits he stays around for longer than some are anticipating  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 11:24:52 am »

Me too. Its all well and good saying he 'technically' will have done three series. Its episode count that matters, and I want at least 50
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

DAK
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 01:43:58 pm »

I'm just hoping that with all this nonsense about series splits he stays around for longer than some are anticipating  Smiley
  This was my biggest worry when Moffat said the second half of next season would be Series 7.  I'm not thrilled with the split, but I can live with it just so long as it doesn't put my favorite Doctor a series closer to leaving.  A recent article here ( http://www.digitalspy.com/cult/s7/doctor-who/news/a267294/matt-smith-to-stay-on-who-until-2013.html ) said he'd be staying through 2013, the show's 50th anniversary.  I hope that hasn't changed. 
Report Spam   Logged
Seren_y_Gogledd
Easily Exterminated

View Profile
Level 3 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 08:54:13 pm »

It's not like the three series rule is actually a rule. I'm hoping he does a Tom Baker and sticks around a while.
Report Spam   Logged

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron, Final Fantasy X
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 07:31:10 pm »

I'd like to add my support to Eleven is awesome. He had me from the start of The Eleventh Hour. I've said elsewhere that his was the first full series I saw - so you can thank Eleven for the fact that I have joined the Whoniverse and am here helping with this forum. He seems to have, quite literally, changed my life  Shocked (in a good way!)  Wink

Can't wait to see more of him  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 07:44:25 pm »

I remember being very disappointed when I heard he'd been cast as the Doctor, but as soon as I saw The Eleventh Hour I realised how wrong I'd been. He's already definitely my favourite Doctor since the series came back. I just love the 'alienyness' he brings to the part - it's obvious from watching him that he's a 900-year-old alien, the very idea of him being a 20-something actor from Northampton seems absurdly far-fetched. I never really got this feeling with his two predecessors; great as they were, they always seemed a little too human for my tastes.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 07:59:23 pm »

Great actor, great Doctor (agreed he does the 900 year old alien that 9 and 10 didn't quite nail) and I hope he sticks round for the 50th anniversary year.

And, I disagree what others have said about the scripts.  I think the scripts have been on a par of anything in seasons 1 to 4.
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
fandamnation
Hatchling

View Profile
Level 2 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 06:11:13 pm »

I just saw The Eleventh Hour first the first time, and I definitely think he is going to be the best thing about Season 5.

I had reservations (10 is very much my doctor, followed by 9) but I love the fact that they all bring something different to the role - 9 had gravitas and angst, 10 had a childlike innocence and fascination in everything and 11 seems so 'alien-y' as someone said, he's awkward and you really believe he's an old soul.

I'm not so sure about Amy though. I actually preferred her as a little girl to tell you the truth, I loved those scenes and there's something potent about the idea of having a Doctor has someone's faux imaginary friend. I wish it could have been explored more.
Report Spam   Logged
GreenLemons
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 06:03:48 pm »

I never watched ClassicWho, so I have NO clue about those eight Doctors. Nine was my first Doctor, but I never liked him. Then Ten came along...who i loooved. When I heard about Matt Smith being nuber Eleven, I had a instant loathe, without even knowing about his acting abilities. Then...I fell in love with him! Eleven is my one and only Doctor now Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Beans are evil. Bad, bad beans.
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 09:30:27 pm »

I remember being very disappointed when I heard he'd been cast as the Doctor, but as soon as I saw The Eleventh Hour I realised how wrong I'd been. He's already definitely my favourite Doctor since the series came back. I just love the 'alienyness' he brings to the part - it's obvious from watching him that he's a 900-year-old alien, the very idea of him being a 20-something actor from Northampton seems absurdly far-fetched. I never really got this feeling with his two predecessors; great as they were, they always seemed a little too human for my tastes.

That perfectly sums up my position as well. When the confidential came on announcing MS as the Dr I wasn't quite hurling things at the screen but when people were asking me how I felt about it It was like I was responding to being given a present I didn't really want. Then the 11th Hour hit me and I loved it and him. His performance in the season finale was truly breathtaking and actually in amongst all of the mixed feelings and ambivalence about other aspects of season 5, I find it is MS's portrayal of the Doctor which is the constant beacon throughout. A dollop of Troughton, a twist of Davison, a hint of Hartnell and some of his own unique style as well. He is definitely a Doctor to savour and I think we haven't even seen half of his true potential yet.
Report Spam   Logged

sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 01:36:47 am »

Great actor, great Doctor (agreed he does the 900 year old alien that 9 and 10 didn't quite nail) and I hope he sticks round for the 50th anniversary year.

And, I disagree what others have said about the scripts.  I think the scripts have been on a par of anything in seasons 1 to 4.
really? where was this years emoty child or human nature or turn left? where was that stand out episode where your heart was jumping? I think without Amy they can achieve this, but too much drivel this season
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
DAK
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 04:33:34 am »

Totally agree with you!  In some cases far superior, especially to season 2.

really? where was this years emoty child or human nature or turn left? where was that stand out episode where your heart was jumping? I think without Amy they can achieve this, but too much drivel this season

Drivel is in the eye of the beholder.  I hated the Human Nature episodes.  Empty Child was OK.  Heart jumping for me - Time of the Angels/Flesh and Stone, Amy's Choice, Hungry Earth/Cold Blood, Pandorica Opens/Big Bang.  Especially the Big Bang - I don't think I even moved for the entire episode.  I think the entire season 2 is drivel, but there are people who rate it highly. 
Report Spam   Logged
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 10:43:58 am »

We have had a complaint from the neighbours! Smiley

I know nothing negative was said about Eleven in here, but can we try to keep overall negativity to a minimum as well as I have had a PM from someone who isnt happy.

Thank you Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 05:27:13 pm »

Back on topic then - I love this bit of TPO. I give it full marks for showing just how awesome Eleven is.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
DAK
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 09:34:18 pm »

^ Yes!  Thank you!   That's my favorite scene of the series.  I've probably watched that a hundred times by now, and it still makes me laugh.  First time I saw it I was expecting a beam to come down from one of the ships and blast him as he stood there waggling his finger at them.  LOL 

Another "Eleven is Awesome" moment: provoking the Dalek to attack him in "Victory of the Daleks".  Sorry, couldn't find a clip, so a picture will have to do:

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: