The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 07:09:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Delia Derbyshire Documentary On BBC1

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delia Derbyshire Documentary On BBC1  (Read 358 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: November 12, 2010, 04:56:19 pm »

I've not put this on the main news site but it will no doubt be appreciated by many in this section. On Monday 15th November, BBC1 is airing a special programme about Delia Derbyshire and will be using previously unseen and unheard interviews and clips talking about her work on the Doctor Who theme tune. Here is the BBC Press Release.

BBC Inside Out will feature a previously unbroadcast interview with the late Delia Derbyshire – the woman who created the iconic Doctor Who theme tune – on Monday 15 November on BBC One at 7.30pm.

In this episode, excerpts of Derbyshire's interview will be heard – which were originally recorded in the late-Nineties by BBC Radio Scotland's John Cavanagh but never broadcast before.

In the interview she reveals that one of the primary influences on her music, including Doctor Who, were the abstract sounds she heard as a child during the Coventry blitz.

Inside Out also features previously unseen footage of Delia later in life at a Doctor Who fan convention.

In the programme, BBC Radio 2 presenter Stuart Maconie looks at her career and explores why the woman herself remains a mystery despite her work influencing the world of electronic music, including Pink Floyd and today's modern dance acts – because, in 1963, hardly anyone outside of avant garde music circles and academia knew electronic music even existed.

But, 47 years on, the Doctor Who theme is probably the most famous piece of electronic music in the world.

Now, her lost recordings, discovered in her attic after her death, are being lovingly restored by the University of Manchester.

BBC Inside Out explores how Delia revolutionised pop music and why she turned her back on music and disappeared. Stuart begins his journey in war-torn Coventry, where Delia grew up, and follows her journey to the Radiophonic Workshop at the BBC. He talks to a range of people, including the man who invented the infamous sound of the Tardis, Brian Hodgson.

Also uncovered in this episode is the revelation that Delia composed music for an astonishing number of landmark programmes of the day, with the original Doctor Who theme being just a small part of Delia's massive output whose style was described in her own words.

Delia says: "Well, the first stage in the realisation of a piece of music is to construct the individual sounds that we are going to use. we can build up any sound we could possibly imagine almost.

"We spend quite a lot of time to invent new sounds, sounds that don't exist already, ones that can't be produced by musical instruments."

As Stuart explains, it was the theme that changed the world and the very first time the public had heard electronic music so who was the person behind it and why was she so important?

He says: "Everyone knows the Doctor Who theme – most of us here have grown up with it. But the techniques developed by one woman to make it have changed the shape and sound of modern music for ever. But the woman herself remains a mystery."
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 05:46:55 pm »

This could be a good watch. I know nothing about her or her other work, but I love the original theme and it would be cool to know her inspirations and whatnot
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 05:58:41 pm »

I'd be very interested in watching this! I probably wont be able to watch it 'live' but will definately record it. I hope there is lots relating to Doctor Who
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 06:19:04 pm »

*Sets the Sky+*

This sounds brilliant. I cant wait Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 07:49:41 pm »

I've seen a couple of things (and heard on Radio) about Delia Derbyshire. I agree with everyone who has posted - i think this will be fascinating. As stated in the OP, there are a number of modern day musicians who cite Derbyshire as a real influence on their work. I think the fact that it is (the quite mainstream) Stuart Maconie who is presenting is also significant. Nice spot Doc - I've set the Sky + myself!
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 07:58:31 pm »

I wont be allowed to watch it live because it isnt a soap opera and doesnt have Katie Price in it, so I will also be recording and waiting until late at night to watch, but I think it will be a great little insight into her life and work
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 09:36:09 pm »

I've seen bits of DVD extras about her, but this should be interesting.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 10:25:16 am »

Ive just tried to set it for record but I couldnt find it, then I saw this so thought I would give others who are interested a heads up.

The program will be broadcast on BBC One in the West Midlands on Monday, 15 November, at 19:30. For those of you outside that region, you can watch the interview on Freesat channel 963, Sky channel 979, or on the BBC iPlayer
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 05:49:51 pm »

Thanks for that - I can get the regional channels, but I don't usually check them.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 12:27:39 pm »

Oh I didnt notic this before. It sounds like it could be good. I shall tune in
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 07:33:53 pm »

For those of you interested, the one that is airing on the main BBC1 has an interview with Eccleston. Probably not as interesting as the Derbyshire one, but still may be of interest to some
Report Spam   Logged
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 07:57:49 pm »

I really enjoyed that. Shame about the way her life went in the end, but its good that she is finally getting the recognition she deserves
Report Spam   Logged
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 08:50:22 pm »

In case you missed it Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 10:55:14 pm »

I totally forgot about this. I had it recording so its stored on my TV at least. Will probably watch it tomorrow and then post my thoughts Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: