The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 12:27:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Gwen VS Vera

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gwen VS Vera  (Read 151 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: November 13, 2010, 12:45:37 pm »

Dont be fooled by the title, I am in no way pitting them against each other. I have been reading over the last few days arguments springing up on blogs and forums about the new girl on the team who was revealed this week and a fair amount of fandom has already started saying how Eve Myles and (cant remember her name) already hate each other (though in reality they probably havent even met yet), how Eve will be feeling put out because she will now be the ugly female member of the team (Shocked) and how RTD is introducing the character of Vera to oust Eve Myles as she is so hated by fandom.

Does fandom, or sections of it, have serious mental health issues? Where the hell do people get these things from. Since when has Gwen, or Eve for that matter, been universaly hated? Why is it specifically Vera that is being used to provide basis for this argument? Is it because we have a face to put to the name? And since when did RTD listen to fandom? Do you agree witht he above points? If so, step forward to be named and shamed or do you think that its just a small number of fans making a lot of noise for no reason other than to talk crap and make it seem like all is not well?
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 01:41:03 pm »

Fandom (all of it, not just for DW) has a habit of projecting its views to make it seem like it is one shared by everyone, when more often than not it is just a tiny minority of people who need to to force their opinions in order to validate them to themselves. People are more than capable of an opinion, in this case disliking Gwen, and then getting on with their lives, but so many people need to make it seem like theirs is the only one valid and so it becomes a case of who can shout the loudest.

Claims of Eve and the other actress hating each other are ridiculous. As you say they have probably not even ever met. As for Eve now feeling ugly or whatever that point was, do we know that she ever considered herself the most beautiful member of the team anyways? Is she the type of person who is so insecure that her immediate impression of another woman is whether or not they are better looking than her? I'd say probably not.

Fandom is a crazy beast, but Torchwood fandom is shockingly weird
Report Spam   Logged
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 04:12:03 pm »

Fandom is a crazy beast, but Torchwood fandom is shockingly weird

QFT, just look at all the crap over Ianto Roll Eyes lol
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten, Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
Level 5 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 08:26:08 pm »

I think it is a small minority of fans who just want Ianto back and are anti-Gwen because Jack brought her onto the team and he should only want Ianto.  I like Gwen and I don't think she would be jealous of another woman on the team.  Gwen did work together with Lois in CoE and with Tosh before that.  Besides, the new actress was just announced and the actors on the show have most likely not worked together yet, so those accusations of rivalry by some sections of fandom are probably just made up.
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 11:43:40 am »

The sad thing is, whether its fandom or not, people seem to assume that two women can't be near each other without wanting to scratch each others eyes out. Most women are perfectly capable of being in each others company without feeling jealous and under threat though we seem to have this reputation anyway which makes rumours like this seem all the more believable to the more gullible reader
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: