The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 11:43:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Christopher Eccleston snippet from The Telegraph

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christopher Eccleston snippet from The Telegraph  (Read 566 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 04:56:16 pm »

Incident with Colin Baker?

I think probably its a reference to the amount of stick he gets?
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 05:01:25 pm »

Sorry - only just seen this Sad

No it was far more personal than that. It was to do with his wife having a miscarriage. Fans were less than charitable/compassionate in their response to the news  Angry
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 06:20:10 pm »

No it was far more personal than that. It was to do with his wife having a miscarriage. Fans were less than charitable/compassionate in their response to the news  Angry

Yuck.  Even if he deserved stick over the show (which he doesn't, in my opinion) that's just plain sick.
Report Spam   Logged

Joedeane
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Paul McGann
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

View Profile
Level 3 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 09:29:52 pm »

Yuck.  Even if he deserved stick over the show (which he doesn't, in my opinion) that's just plain sick.

Yeah that is quite bad... he's one of my favorites actually, especially in the audios
Report Spam   Logged

--
is hastily reviewing the new Doctor Who experience... keep up with it here: http://joedeane.blogspot.com/

follow my twitter if you like @joedeane !

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 10:26:25 pm »

Yeah that is quite bad... he's one of my favorites actually, especially in the audios

Thats sick. Sometimes being a fan of this show is so shameful
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 01:51:31 pm »

Thats sick. Sometimes being a fan of this show is so shameful

Hmmmm....the human race is a very mixed bag unfortunately Sad

Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 01:54:14 pm »

Maybe Eccleston hasn't completely turned his back on DW. His doodle for 2011 National Doodle Day was a Dalek.

http://www.nationaldoodleday.org.uk/celebs/doodle.cfm?doodle=Christopher%20Eccleston&set=2011
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 10:00:09 am »

Maybe Eccleston hasn't completely turned his back on DW. His doodle for 2011 National Doodle Day was a Dalek.

http://www.nationaldoodleday.org.uk/celebs/doodle.cfm?doodle=Christopher%20Eccleston&set=2011

I imagine he knows it will do well Wink
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 10:25:14 pm »

Quickly on for 2 secs to comment on this.
Seems some folk are in a tizzy over new(?) comments he has made when asked about leaving Who?

At an acting master class, at the Theatre Royal Haymarket. Christopher Eccleston was asked why he left, such a high paid job like Doctor Who. He responded:

“I left Doctor Who, because I could not get along with the senior people. I left, because of politics. I did not see eye-to-eye, with them. I didn’t agree with the way things were being run. I didn’t like the culture that had grown up, around the series. So, I left. I felt, over a principle. I thought to remain, which would have made me a lot of money and given me huge visibility, the price I would have had to pay, was to eat a lot of ****. I’m not being funny about that. I didn’t want to do that and, it comes to the art of it, in a way. I feel that if you run your career and-we are vulnerable as actors and, we are constantly humiliating ourselves auditioning. But, if you allow that to go on, on a grand scale. You will  loose, whatever it is about you and, it will be present in your work.  If you allow your desire to be successful and visible and financially secure. If you allow that, to make you throw shades on your parents, on your upbringing, then you’re knackered. You’ve got to keep something back, for yourself. Because, it’ll be present in your work.  A purity or an idealism is essential, or, you’ll become-you’ve got to have standards, no matter how hard work that is. So, it makes it hard road, really. You know. It’s easy to find a job, when you’ve got no morals, you’ve got nothing to be compromised you can go ‘yeah, yeah. That doesn’t matter. That director can bully that prop man and, I won’t say anything about it’. But, then when that director comes to you and says ‘I think you should play it like this’. You’ve surely got to go ‘How can I respect you, when you behave like that?’

So, that’s why I left. My face didn’t fit and, I’m sure they were glad to see the back of me. The important thing is that I succeeded. It was a great part. I loved playing him. I loved connecting with that audience. Because I’ve always acted for adults and the suddenly, your acting for children. Who are far more tasteful, they will not be bullshitted. It’s either good, or it’s bad. They don’t schmooze at after show parties, with cocktails”

I don't really see what's wrong with this.
It's been mentioned before & often that he wasn't happy regarding the actions of certain among the higher staff...at the same time, I think maybe the issue has been talked to death?
Report Spam   Logged

Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 01:37:20 am »

Did he say he has Tiger Blood and Adonis DNA too?
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 01:11:40 am »

The only issue I have with that article is that whoever transcribed what he was saying needs to learn grammar and spelling  Evil
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 05:02:26 pm »

The only issue I have with that article is that whoever transcribed what he was saying needs to learn grammar and spelling  Evil

Haha, brilliant!
Nice one Nyki! (wasn't me lol)
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2011, 01:02:24 pm »

A lot of his issues seem to stem from that on set argument he had with that director, but directors come and go and while I sort of agree with some of his points, I think he has perhaps taken it a little bit more personally than he needed to. I honestly think he only ever intended to do one series anyway, regardless of what was going on behind the scenes
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2011, 04:19:25 pm »

What I do think is kinda nice is that he seems to have put to bed the notion held in certain quarters of fandom that he "hates" Doctor Who and "hates" the fans.

He seems to have moved on and (as fans) I think we have moved on as well! I agree with Peri-Peri; I think it was only ever going to be a one season project for Ecclestone and actually, his tenure was all the more special for it.

Besides, he needed to go and do GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra!
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2011, 04:50:16 pm »

He made several jokes about GI Joe that day Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2011, 09:32:06 am »

He made several jokes about GI Joe that day Tongue

Well, it is an easy target, after all  Roll Eyes still can't believe The Rock is doing the sequel.
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2011, 12:58:47 pm »

Ha! He said his agent told him to do GI:Joe and that it would earn him money and then he could concentrate on the jobs closer to his heart and what he wanted to do. He said that was how it worked really, he likes the ones that mean something but they don't earn you enough to live through the "famine" of the "Feast or famine" of acting

Except I fail at paraphrasing Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2011, 06:55:49 pm »

Ha! He said his agent told him to do GI:Joe and that it would earn him money and then he could concentrate on the jobs closer to his heart and what he wanted to do. He said that was how it worked really, he likes the ones that mean something but they don't earn you enough to live through the "famine" of the "Feast or famine" of acting

I didn't think you failed - it was a great précis Smiley And an interesting deployment of the Michael Caine defence by Ecclestone there "I only did the lemons because of the money"! That is not intended as a snipe or a criticism (we've all done jobs just for the money) and its good that he didn't mention Dr Who in the same breath. As I have said before, I think we just have to accept that, unlike the other actors in the Whoniverse, Chris just isn't interested in revisiting the franchise he so wonderfully graced.
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2011, 07:30:02 pm »

Like Caine said of Jaws 4..."I've never seen it, but I do love the house it paid for!"  Afro
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2011, 10:12:02 pm »

I think it is a huge shame  Undecided But his call!

He did say how he enjoyed working for a different range how much he loved playing the Doc, I just think maybe part of it is preservation *shrugs* who knows
Report Spam   Logged

??Cheeses + rising!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: