The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 01:31:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Second Doctor marathon

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Second Doctor marathon  (Read 518 times)
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« on: November 16, 2010, 04:38:32 pm »

Not exactly a proper watchathon, but I feel I should record that over the last couple of months I've watched every 2nd Doctor story (complete or reconstructed) in order, from Power of the Daleks to The War Games - probably the most difficult of the lot to achieve.  Absolutely awesome, especially being able to see things develop (like Jamie's accent  Cool)  Some great stories, such as The Faceless Ones and Evil of the Daleks, and the whole of series 5 (the one with Victoria) was fantastic - Cybermen, Yeti, Ice Warriors and sentient seaweed.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 06:09:39 pm »

Sounds great. I've not heard all of the recons but the oea I have listened to have been great. I'm waiting on the release of the second set of lost episode recons to be released and I can't wait
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 09:40:04 am »

Oh sounds great. Been ages since I have listened to any of the reconstructions. I'll have to dig them out again Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 01:36:18 am »

I've made a start downloading the Troughton Years - it's such an absolute shame so much of the early stuff is lost forever.
Especially given that he appeared in arguably one of the top 3 stories ever, in Tomb of the Cybermen.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 10:12:00 pm »

You should have said something sooner, I would have joined in and watched/listened along with you Smiley Could have had a proper chat about them then. Some would have been first timers for me though as I have audios that I've not listened to.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 01:11:24 am »

I started well before I joined this forum, and it all tended to be a bit haphazard - I'd watch a couple of episodes when I had a spare hour.  They're well worth checking out, though - there are only really a couple of duds during that period (I'm looking at you, The Dominators Cool)  Overall, they're very high standard.

Incidentally, the very first 2nd Doctor story, Power of the Daleks, features Daleks who are very insistent that all they want is to serve humanity.  Now where have I come across that idea recently?
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 09:30:52 pm »

Incidentally, the very first 2nd Doctor story, Power of the Daleks, features Daleks who are very insistent that all they want is to serve humanity.  Now where have I come across that idea recently?

To be fair, the much maligned Mark Gatiss actually credits the Power of the Daleks as being an inspiration (in part) for the equally maligned Victory of the Daleks. Troughton has a number of hugely impressive episodes - I would love to see Fury from The Deep and Web of Fear (I've got the audio reconstructions and I adore listening to them).

I do agree that there are a couple of real stinkers in there (I'm not one to criticise but I totally agree with you about the Dominators and I know this tweaks the nose of Fandom but I never could get away with the Time Robber). But on the whole it is difficult to argue with the majority of the stories.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 05:45:16 pm »

The Dominators is absolutely awful. I saw the Doc post somewhere where he said watching it was like trying to swim through mud or something similar and its spot on. It has potential for such greatness but just falls flat on nearly every level
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 09:46:56 pm »

There was a lot wrong with it, but I think the two big ones were giving the Quarks cutesy voices (I'm sure it seemed a good idea when they discussed it in the pub, but...) and the complete failure to portray a pacifist society convincingly - it was done far better with the Thals in The Daleks.
Report Spam   Logged

Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 05:07:12 am »

This is along the lines of what I did last year's summer. It was one chaotic thing. At one point I watched 40 episodes in one day- I was going nuts trying to get through the recons. I was surprised that right off on Troughton's first story I was blown away. I now consider Power of the Daleks one of the best Dalek stories around. Imagine that- a black and white 1960's reconstructed story impressed me. Do not underestimate Doctor Who!
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 01:00:44 pm »

I'd love to go through it all in order. I've only ever seen/listened randomly. I suppose it doesn't really matter from a story point of view because it's not like a continuous story, but it would be good to do it and see the way the characters grow and evolve
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: