The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 05:32:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

What sort of series do you think we would have had following the TV movie?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What sort of series do you think we would have had following the TV movie?  (Read 378 times)
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« on: August 31, 2010, 10:57:39 pm »

I rewatched the TV movie recently, i like it, I love Mcganns Doctor, but something about the movie didn't feel like real "Doctor Who" to me somehow, and I think a series would have been short lived. Flash forward to Rose, and it felt "right".  I'm glad we waited, it all worked out okay, what do you guys think?  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
BlueRose

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 03:08:39 pm »

I rewatched the TV movie recently, i like it, I love Mcganns Doctor, but something about the movie didn't feel like real "Doctor Who" to me somehow, and I think a series would have been short lived. Flash forward to Rose, and it felt "right".  I'm glad we waited, it all worked out okay, what do you guys think?  Smiley

I think RTD had it nailed during his first few seasons: inspiration from Joss Whedon, a nod towards modernization, and something which was a smart, adult sci-fi drama that was family friendly.

I honestly miss that.
Report Spam   Logged
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 05:17:09 pm »

I like the film, but that is mainly due to McGann's performance than anything else.  I think they tried too hard to make it accessible to an American audience and forgot a lot of it's roots unfortunately so I'm glad that it didn't kick start it back then as we would have a completely different feel to the show.

The reboot kept some of what started in the film, such as the Doctor seemingly snogging everyone in sight, which makes me sad.  But I think Moffat has finally pulled it back round to the show that I fell in love with as a child, so I'm happy Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
BlueRose

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 05:26:37 pm »

I like the film, but that is mainly due to McGann's performance than anything else.  I think they tried too hard to make it accessible to an American audience and forgot a lot of it's roots unfortunately so I'm glad that it didn't kick start it back then as we would have a completely different feel to the show.

The reboot kept some of what started in the film, such as the Doctor seemingly snogging everyone in sight, which makes me sad.  But I think Moffat has finally pulled it back round to the show that I fell in love with as a child, so I'm happy Smiley

So you must not have liked GitF, then...
Report Spam   Logged
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 05:32:22 pm »

So you must not have liked GitF, then...

I do like that ep, thou it does get very cheesy in places, more so when he jumps through the mirror than anything else thou, lol.  I'm just not a fan of the Doctor having 'relationships', particularly with companions, for me that's not what the show is about Sad
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 09:41:03 pm »

I agree, that's why I love the Tenth/Donna dynamic.  Blue Rose is right though, The Girl In The Fireplace is very sexual, as is The Doctor Dances.  I'll shut up now as the mirror/arthur the horse bit is the only part of TGITF that I do like! Cheesy

Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
Seren_y_Gogledd
Easily Exterminated

View Profile
Level 3 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 11:17:42 pm »

I think a series based on the TV Movie would have been a lot darker in tone than the series we eventually got, certainly not as family-friendly. I certainly can't imagine Eight doing some of the more slapstick scenes that we've seen from Nine, Ten and Eleven.

That's just made me think of something else - in a timeline where McGann got a full series, who would play the next Doctor?
Report Spam   Logged

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron, Final Fantasy X
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 11:20:25 pm »

Yet another excuse for me to mention my dream of Hugh Laurie as the Doctor.

nothing else to add!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Who-ever8
Hatchling

View Profile
Level 2 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 01:39:35 am »

Much of the movie just wasn't what Doctor Who is to me (if that makes sense) BUT Paul McGann could have been a fabulous Doctor with better scripts and, well, just that.  Oh, and with a television network that wouldn't cancel him!  That's why I enjoy the EDAs so much.  (The BBC's range of Doctor Who books based on the 8th Doctor)
Report Spam   Logged
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 11:13:07 pm »

I think RTD had it nailed during his first few seasons: inspiration from Joss Whedon, a nod towards modernization, and something which was a smart, adult sci-fi drama that was family friendly.

I honestly miss that.

You're all kinds of awesome for that line alone.
Totally agree, 200%.

On the topic though, I think had we gotten a series at that time it would have been an utter disaster.
They had no clue what they were doing, it was obvious, and the series would have continued down that road.
I really, really want to see McGann pop up in a multi Doc story to prove he can do it justice, but the story & other actors were just awful, and that was a terrible way to treat Syl.
Report Spam   Logged

Seren_y_Gogledd
Easily Exterminated

View Profile
Level 3 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 12:00:53 am »

Seven's regeneration is, for me, the most heartbreaking one. Goodness only knows how we were supposed to accept a companion who'd only just caused that to happen. He'd survived the gunshot, then she had to go and operate on that non-existent heart condition...
Report Spam   Logged

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron, Final Fantasy X
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: