The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 12:25:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Series 3

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Series 3  (Read 712 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« on: November 18, 2010, 10:25:03 pm »

After many setbacks I have finally made a start on series 3 after watching The Runaway Bride a little while back. Ive done Smith & Jones, The Shakespeare Code and Gridlock so far and I have to say that it is shaping up to be my favourite series. The episodes have been brilliant so far. Episode 1 was probably the weekest but I was more interested in learning about Martha in that one so I didnt mind. The second episode was awesome and the sets were amazing. Gridlock has been my favourite so far though. I just thought it was brilliant and one of my favourite episodes overall.

Martha Jones is superb. I know she is a bit polarizing when it comes to the fans but so far I have found her brilliant. I don't like the way the Doctor treats her particularly and makes me even more unsure of Tennant. I understand that they couldnt just forget about Rose, but she was like the 400th companion to leave and I doubt that he acted like that each time. It seems to me that Martha was harder to accept by the audience because she wasnt really accepted by the Doctor and it seems like she might be asked to leave at any moment. I really like her though. Daleks in Manhatten next. I hope it keeps up the momentum set so far Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 10:33:10 pm »

The less said about Daleks In Manhatten the better Tongue

You may enjoy it, but I  havent heard many people say good things about it
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 10:34:03 pm »

Ah, no dont say that!!! Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged

TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 10:34:46 pm »

Haha sorry Smiley

You never know, you may love it
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 10:35:37 pm »

I hope so. Will let you all know when I have watched Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 10:51:34 pm »

DIM isnt the greatest two parter, but that and The Lazarus Experiment are the only duff ones in series 3. You have the Human Nature two parter and blink to come yet, and they are great
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 05:58:16 pm »

I liked Martha too, and I thought her character really got the short end of the stick.  She was always "Not Rose" even though she was brilliant in her own right.  And as for her character development ... well, I don't want to spoil it for you, but RTD really did her a disservice.

I really liked "The Shakespeare Code", I found it hilarious.  And wait til you see "Blink", that's one of the top Who episodes ever.
Report Spam   Logged
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 06:04:22 pm »

The 3 part finale is probably my favorite finale yet.
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 05:34:41 pm »

Series 3 was the start of something brilliant. It really set a bar, which was then surpassed by series 4 and 5. The specials were a bit of a wobble mind you. The Dalek story you have coming up isnt great but don't let it deter you because its pretty brilliant after that.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 05:42:29 pm »

Id sooner watch DIM than the Lazarus Experiment. The only thing worse than a Gatis written episode is one that has his bad acting in it.

I love the 3 part finale to this, though I dont like the last episode so much. The CGI Doctor really bothered me. The story itself was great but that bit was awful.

Ive really got my neg head on today, sorry
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 11:20:02 pm »

Ok, so I have done 4 more episodes. Im glad I did the fourth because by the end of the Lazarus Experiment I was losing the will to live.

In fairness I liked the Dalek story but there was something about it that seemed really lame. Some of the accents were a bit dodgy and the pig people were rubbish, but there was a great story there itching to break free it just never seemed to get to the surface. I didnt hate it by any means but there are far better stories, and far better Dalek stories in the earlier series' Also, was that guy from Hooverville the new Spiderman?

The Lazarus Experiment had lazy written all over it. Martha was brilliant but she was given some awful material to work with and I just cant take to her family at all. They arent very likeable. Even the Doctor didnt seem like he could be bothered with this one. The CGI expectation far exceeded the budget they had for it and it looked amazingly awful. Also, the guy who played Lazarus was an awful actor. It seemed a bit like this was squeezed in to replace something else and not too much thought went into it. Given a better story the concept could have been really well used, but its now one of my least favourite stories.

'42' was brilliant. Fast paced, brilliant acting and a great story. I was on the edge of my seat for the most part and I thought the outcome of how the planet was alive was such a great touch. The captains love for her husband was so sweet and shooting him and herself out of the airlock was so bittersweet. It was a great episode after 2 not so great ones and an awful one. Next up another two parter. Human Nature and Family of Blood. I have high expectations of this now after what everyone has said about it Smiley

So what did everyone else think of the above 4?
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 04:01:25 pm »

I kind of agree with everything you have said. Wasn't fussed on the Dalek story, hated the Lazarus Experiment but loved 42. Pretty much love all the stories that come after these too. The next story, Human Nature and Family of Blood, is honestly one of the best Doctor Who stories ever written imo
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 04:38:15 pm »

Yes the guy from Hooverville (Andrew Garfield) is the new Spiderman.

I don't mind the 4 eps you watched - I just try to enjoy things for what they are - though I'd have to agree with The Lazarus Experiment being the weakest of them.

You do have some great eps coming up though.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 08:06:02 pm »

I cant wait to see the next story. Ive never heard anyone say anything bad about it.

And I love Spiderman so its nice to have that DW tie in Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 10:40:02 pm »

Have you watched Human Nature yet? Its such a good story so Im waiting to hear if you liked it Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 03:13:36 am »

Am I the only one who didn't like that 2-parter?   Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 05:31:15 pm »

I liked it but I do think it has a lot more hype around it than is really warranted
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 10:51:08 pm »

I loved it. Such a great story. The Doctor as a human was heartbreaking and I felt so sorry for Joan. It would have been brilliant to have her travelling with the Doctor and Martha. Martha was brilliant as always and the Family of Blood were dead creepy. I really wasnt happy when Jenny got taken over but she was badass as a nasty. The story was brilliant and it had the perfect setting and the sets were beautiful too. The scene at the end at the cenotaph made me cry. My favourite of the series so far I think
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 04:53:12 pm »

Yea that bit gets me too. So sweet. Most people seem to like that story. It gets a lot of positivity from the fans. You have some good episodes coming up now. Your take on the Master should be interesting. He seems to split people a bit
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 04:56:07 pm »

Smith and Jones, Gridlock, Shakespeare Code, Human Nature/Family of Blood, Blink, Utopia and Sound of the Drums are among the best eps IMHO. Series 3 is frankly my favorite.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: