The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 11:23:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Recurring Characters

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recurring Characters  (Read 600 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: November 20, 2010, 10:53:17 am »

Between 2005 and 2009 we saw a wealth of regular recurring characters in Doctor Who. Mickey, the Tylers, the Joneses, the Noble-Motts for example, but since the show came back under Moffat there has been less focus on recurring characters and family members like there was in the majority of the classic series. But what do you prefer? More focus on the TARDIS crew, or more depth and background to the companions? Or perhaps even something more like the 'UNIT Family' of the 70's (or 80's depending on where you fall in the dating fiasco) where there is a team of recurring characters that have nothing to do with the family life of the main characters.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 03:00:21 pm »

The UNIT family of Three, Jo, The Master, The Brig et al was brilliant. Back then when the Doctor was mainly stranded on earth it was all the more important to have that extended character base, but these days I am not so sure. I love the backgrounds and extended family that the companions get these days but it was nice in series 5 not having those ties and not having to keep going back to Leadworth. We have Amy's parents now so we will probably see a bit of them, but once or twice a series is enough of Augustus I think Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 09:40:51 pm »

I think RTD overdid the extended family thing.  It worked fine with Rose, but it wore a bit thin after that (although I loved Wilf).  It would be nice occasionally to have a companion who didn't have anything to go back to - well, not much.  Even Ace went back once.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 04:24:11 pm »

I agree with everything Nyki said in her post. Once in a while is ok but I would prefer it if there were no ties to earth or a particular town/city as there has been over the last few years
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 06:11:40 pm »

I agree with everything Nyki said in her post. Once in a while is ok but I would prefer it if there were no ties to earth or a particular town/city as there has been over the last few years

Just for clarification - his post Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 10:36:52 pm »

I must confess I am not overly enamoured with the Earth-centric flavour of Nu-Who. I like a little depth behind my characters but (as so often) less is more and I think it would have been nice to have a little mystery behind the characters antecedents (rather than getting every other episode with Jackie Tyler and even meeting Rose's dead dad twice!!!) One of the things I loved about Amy was the unspoken and underplayed dimension to her throughout s5 that we hadn't met her parents (Incidentally, when will Augustus Pond be getting his own spin off show? The Augustus Pond Adventures could see him twinned up with Bankafalata - its just a thought).

Of course, there is another group of occasional recurring characters who seem to have dropped out of Nu-Who but were present in Classic Who. I refer to the Time Lords. I loved the odd trip to Gallifrey and it never hamstrung Classic Who to have them in the background (of course this is an entirely different discussion and I shall soon be starting my 'Why don't we have the Time Lords' topic).
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 11:00:59 pm »

The UNIT family of Three, Jo, The Master, The Brig et al was brilliant. Back then when the Doctor was mainly stranded on earth it was all the more important to have that extended character base, but these days I am not so sure. I love the backgrounds and extended family that the companions get these days but it was nice in series 5 not having those ties and not having to keep going back to Leadworth. We have Amy's parents now so we will probably see a bit of them, but once or twice a series is enough of Augustus I think Tongue

I agree about the UNIT family. They had a great chemistry and were the first proper recurring characters on the show.

I don't know what you have against Augustus though. He is made of win Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 06:26:40 pm »

I think in a lot of cases you dont really realise how much it restricts the show until you see it without. This year we had nothing to go back for and so we were never feeling like too much time was being spent on Earth. In the past few years, the family of the companion and their knowledge of the Doctor meant that we had to keep going back quite a lot and it can be quite restrictive. It was especially so in series 1
Report Spam   Logged

MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 08:17:32 pm »

Just for clarification - his post Cool

Haha Grin  Sorry that little mix up tickled my funny bone  Wink

And moving on...oh yes....recurring characters. Everything in moderation I always think. I don't mind earthbound links - as much as I disliked her mother with a passion..I thought the episodes with Donna and her family connections were nicely balanced in series 4.

Unit obviously worked but that was more to do with the circumstances at the time. At least they were able to bring in different personnel/vary the faces Wink

Martha's lot were the most annoying for me Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 07:53:21 pm »

I couldnt stand Martha's mum. She was horrid. At least Sylvia had some redeeming features. Martha's mum just seemed totally unlikeable.
Report Spam   Logged

MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 08:53:28 pm »

I couldnt stand Martha's mum. She was horrid. At least Sylvia had some redeeming features. Martha's mum just seemed totally unlikeable.

I didn't like Martha's mum but at least she did what did out of love for Martha. Sylvia never had a good word to say about anything...let alone Donna. It was Wilf that made me not mind getting involved with Donna's family unit. Martha's as a whole got on my nerves though.

Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 09:19:17 pm »

Woth the exception of Wilf and Jackie, every other family member introduced has really irritated me.
Report Spam   Logged
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 02:06:40 pm »

Do you think that now that Amy has her mom and dad back that we will see them more?  She seemed to happy to have them back and at her wedding - to have a family.  I don't think that we will see them again, but I wonder if they will at least be mentioned?
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 11:26:48 pm »

Do you think that now that Amy has her mom and dad back that we will see them more?  She seemed to happy to have them back and at her wedding - to have a family.  I don't think that we will see them again, but I wonder if they will at least be mentioned?

Well...having got them back....she was quick enough to leave them Tongue Although having a time machine at your beck and call probably influenced the decision Grin

Interesting point though - having introduced them into the mix will The Moff use them to show a different side to Amy?
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 11:31:04 pm »

I've already made my pitch for 'The Augustus Pond Adventures' - I never warmed to Amy as a companion until she burst into the room in TBB declaring 'Its my tiny wee Dad'.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 02:33:29 pm »

I've already made my pitch for 'The Augustus Pond Adventures' - I never warmed to Amy as a companion until she burst into the room in TBB declaring 'Its my tiny wee Dad'.

I wouldnt mind a bit more Augustus to be honest. I would be very surprised if we didnt see her parents again in the next series.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 10:40:11 pm »

Well Roranicus has just said in the other thread that [spoiler] they might be filming again at Amy's house [/spoiler] so perhaps we will be getting to see more! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 10:50:25 pm »

If Augustus Pond is in the next season (and I have no knowledge that he is or isn't - this is merely a conditional threat) I am going to change my Avatar Pic! And that is quite a big step for me Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 10:52:38 pm »

Many might reccomend you did that anyway Tongue Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 10:57:38 pm »

Many might reccomend you did that anyway Tongue Cheesy

I'm very sorry to have to do this to you. But by the power vested in me by The Doc....

I think it is the only fitting sentence!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: