The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 07:55:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

What is your favourite classic story?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favourite classic story?  (Read 910 times)
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« on: August 31, 2010, 11:01:44 pm »

Mine is Pyramids of Mars, though I have a huge soft spot for Brain of Morbius and Genesis of the Daleks.  All of these episodes I couls watch and watch again, the acting, characterisation, direction and story telling is so good.  One thing I adore about Brain of Morbius is the visible influence it has on Fires of Pompei, a new series story I love.  What about the rest of you?

Apologies for obvious Tom biased - I love him!
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:03:50 pm »

This really is a hard one but the first one that came to mind when I read the post was Tomb of the Cybermen, so for now I will put that. It changes often though so I will no doubt revisit this thread
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:05:11 pm »

Not watched that yet!  I'm on a classic marathon - part way through Hartnells second series at the moment!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:06:40 pm »

You will love it. Im not a massive Cyber fan, but that serial is fab!
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 11:08:25 pm »

I am scared of cybermen Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:16:04 pm »

The best I can do is narrow it down to three stories and I genuinely cannot choose between them. Robots of Death is just an amazing story with a killer ensemble cast and really truly spooky Robots. Hinchcliffe/Holmes and the brilliant Chris Boucher as writer. Difficult to top. The Keeper of Traken/Logopolis - I mean, what a finale. They did Tom Baker proud on those epic tales of destiny and renewal. Brilliant mixture of character development and wonderful plot driven stories (with some amazing music). The Caves of Androzani - the greatest Doctor Who Writer (Bob Holmes) with his greatest story. Suspenseful, filmic, another amazing ensemble cast and with that wonderful air of tragedy about it. Every character was doomed in some way apart from Peri. Then we have the Curse of Fenric. A proper vampire story with Nicholas Parsons as the best piece of off-the wall casting. Ace was incredible and McCoy just lit up the screen as the Doctor exactly should be - Alien and Human, all at the same time. I know that is technically five favourite stories but they are just amazing Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 11:19:38 pm »

The Caves of Androzani also has the greatest Doctor Who director in history too IMHO
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:23:58 pm »

I'm trying to put someone against Graeme Harper.... And I just can't. I think he has to be the best for me. His direction made 'Caves' - it felt wonderful and like I was watching something special.  All of the other directors have been good solid yeomen (and women) of the BBC - Pennant Roberts, Peter Moffat, David Maloney, Peter Grimwade and Fiona Cumming - all very good. But Harper just has the edge because of the pace and story telling he brings. Of course i should add this is all my own very subjective opinion and based on absolutely no technical knowledge at all!
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 03:11:15 pm »

My favorites are (in no particular order): Destiny of the Daleks, The Daemons, and The Pirate Planet (it's crack, like certain RTD eps you either love or hate it).
Report Spam   Logged
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 07:51:55 pm »

Difficult to decide. Tomb Of The Cybermen is right up there, as is Remembrance Of The Daleks, The Dalek Invasion Of Earth, The Invasion, The Three Doctors, City Of Death, The Caves Of Androzani and The Talons Of Weng Chiang.

It'd probably change every other day depending on my mood, but right now I think Tomb Of The Cybermen just shades it.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 10:46:20 pm »

Dame Roger and BlueRose. I like your favourite stories also. Could you add them to my list. Especially Remembrance of the Daleks and The Daemons.
Report Spam   Logged

sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 10:50:35 pm »

Unlimited Rrrrrrrrrrrrice pudding for you all  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 11:04:16 pm »

No one could rrrrrrroll his rrrrrrr's like Sly Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Seren_y_Gogledd
Easily Exterminated

View Profile
Level 3 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 11:37:19 pm »

Remembrance of the Daleks had so many moments that stick out: Seven telefragging a Dalek, unlimited rice pudding, Ace with the baseball bat...
Report Spam   Logged

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron, Final Fantasy X
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 10:46:20 pm »

Looks like a lot of love for Tomb & Caves - excellent!
I'll fit in just nicely around here I think!

(my 3rd is Talons, although City of Death is bonkers genius too!)
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 11:30:16 pm »

I would also like to add the Five Doctors written by protean, script editing, scifi Yoda, Terrance Dicks. Partly because it started with that brilliant quotation by Bill Hartnell, partly because it introduced that amazing console room and partly because of Tony Ainley's frankly brilliant portrayal of the Master. 90 mins, Five Doctors, Gallifrey, The Castellan. How did I not include this in my original list of three?
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 11:44:08 pm »

I would also like to add the Five Doctors written by protean, script editing, scifi Yoda, Terrance Dicks. Partly because it started with that brilliant quotation by Bill Hartnell, partly because it introduced that amazing console room and partly because of Tony Ainley's frankly brilliant portrayal of the Master. 90 mins, Five Doctors, Gallifrey, The Castellan. How did I not include this in my original list of three?

Ahh, but Chris - which version? The original, the rejigged "new effects honest gov" version or the (gasp) fanw@nkery "6" Doctors which splices in Time Crash & some more Tom Baker footage?
Report Spam   Logged

steve5424
Hatchling

View Profile
Level 2 Second year Anniversary Level 1
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 12:14:37 pm »

Its hard to choose just one as I have quiet a few from each of the Doctors. However to pick just a few they would be

The Caves Of Androzani
Rememberance of the Daleks
The Sea Devils
Genesis of the Daleks
The Visitation

Report Spam   Logged
innesmacleod
Hatchling

View Profile
Poll Voter Level 2 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 11:49:41 pm »

Several episodes spring to mind, but no-one mentioning Battlefield, one of my favourite episodes, and (I think), the Brigadiers last appearance. Don't know why, but it just works
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 11:54:43 pm »

I have some new ones to add. I like Seeds of Death, Terror of the Autons, Stones of Blood and Kinda. That is all i promise. No more entries from me on here - other than to applaud your magnificent choices - I haven't read a bad story suggested on here yet!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: