The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 04:37:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Good and bad cliffhangers

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good and bad cliffhangers  (Read 235 times)
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« on: November 20, 2010, 09:54:55 pm »

The cliffhanger was a vital part of the classic series, sometimes done brilliantly, sometimes... not so brilliantly.  Let's have some thoughts about the best and the worst.

A couple of my contenders for best:

Episode 1 of The Daleks - just for sheer classicness, you can't beat that view down the eyestalk of Barbara cowering from the still-unseen menace.

Episode 1 of The Caves of Androzani - brilliantly written.  We actually see the Doctor and Peri killed, yet the solution doesn't feel remotely like cheating.  Everything's been set up, so when it's revealed it seems inevitable.

And for the worst, I give you the cliffhanger that goes from The Rescue into The Romans, with the Tardis toppling over the cliff.  Then... nothing.  We don't see any effect it has on the Doctor or his companions, there are no consequences and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the story that follows.  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:01:53 pm »

I would definately agree with you about The Rescue/The Romans. Its like they just forgot what they had filmed.

Love your 'Caves' one too. One of my favourites from when I was a child and thought it was the end of everything, despite having seen later episodes, was the one between The Dominators and The Mind Robber where they are in the lava.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:22:54 pm »

I loved the first one with the Daleks where you see the stalk coming at Barbara and her screaming up against the wall.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 12:55:57 am »

Yes, the Dominators/Mind Robber one was great because it actually played a vital part in both stories, making them much more joined up than the stories usually were.
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:15:48 pm »

Ooh, good one!
Like this thread, but it's gonna need some series thought for a minute....

Best: Ok, it's tough, but let's see what you think
Episode Two of Tomb of the Cybermen - with the Cybermen all thawing out & breaking free. Tremendous cliffhanger, tremendous story.
(honorary mentions to The Curse of Fenric when Judson/Fenric is revealed, Caves - but ep 3 with a dying Doctor setting a collision course)

Worst: Hmmm, either Dragonfire ep 1 (a literal cliffhanger!) or - despite featuring Peri - Revelation of the Daleks, with the stupid cut off mid sentence ending.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 10:52:20 pm »

Can I just say I agree with everything everyone has said - this is an excellent OP as well Smiley

Time to go into bat (once again) for the Twin Dilemma. Ep 2 where Edgeworth's base on Titan 3 blows up and Peri starts sobbing.

Also, not quite as heavy-impact but something deeply powerful was ep 3 of Logopolis where it ended with The Doctor and the Master shaking hands saying 'Together...One last hope'. I can't explain why but that made a real impact on me. Sombre, solemn and set up a cracking last ep.

Worst.. Hmmm, have to think about that one.
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 06:17:11 pm »

Also, not quite as heavy-impact but something deeply powerful was ep 3 of Logopolis where it ended with The Doctor and the Master shaking hands saying 'Together...One last hope'. I can't explain why but that made a real impact on me. Sombre, solemn and set up a cracking last ep.

Awesome addition there, mate! Puts me in the mood for watching the New Beginnings box set again!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: