The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 10:15:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Bored Of Ianto

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bored Of Ianto  (Read 731 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: November 21, 2010, 01:30:33 pm »

I just saw a post in another thread about how the whole Ianto thing is still kicking off and like the Doc said in that thread, a small section of lunatics is seriously blackening my view of what was a pretty good character. I thought Ianto was great, but I am able to seperate fact from fiction and I dont throw my toys out of the pram signing petitions to boycott tv stations and networks because a character I liked is no longer in a show I watch. Passion is one thing, but obsession is another. Nearly 2 years down the line people are still being abused about the fact that a fictional character is dead and its got so tedious. If you look at some people Twitter accounts you can see pages and pages of months and months worth of tweets to Starz and the BBC demanding his comeback. Dont these people have anything better to do?

I know this has got a bit ranty about fans, but because of them it is putting me off the character more and more. He is now associated, for me and I know many others, with a bunch of abusive crazies and it makes watching him and his story that little less enjoyable. Anyone else bored with it all?
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 08:58:04 pm »

I couldnt agree with you more. I dont suppose this will be a popular opinion but I am totally over him. To the point where I want RTD to bring him back and kill him off again just to drive the crazies crazier. He was a nice enough character but there was nothing special about him. Tosh was a far better character but yet by killing Ianto RTD commited some sort of offence to fandom. Im sorry but the whole Ianto thing should just come to an end now
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 05:25:12 am »

I must be extremely lucky because I haven't seen any problems with fans kicking off over Ianto at all, just reports from others that it happens XD
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten, Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
Level 5 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 04:43:29 pm »

I see it a lot especially tweets, retweets and reactions about how single-minded those groups of fans are getting.  They can reply to the people who make the show on Twitter so that makes them want to keep sending messages or letters to the BBC and Starz and not leaving a lot of room for debate.  A year ago I thought it was unfortunate that they had gotten rid of Ianto, and I'm not opposed to having him in Torchwood, but a lot of the fandom surrounding him has gone too far.
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
BlueRose

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 05:07:34 pm »

No, completely with you. I kinda find the character boring and didn't remotely comprehend once why his fanbase was so passionate.
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 08:24:12 pm »

Yea, I have to say I am over it all. I was gutted when he died but then it was over and it was done and real life took over again. All these people who are still treating it as if one of their loved ones has been murdered really bug me. I read one say before about howJAck had molested Ianto and so they only killed him to make Jack likeable again. Its so stupid. The people on twitter are the craziest of the lot though.

Some recent tweets...

#Ianto is the icing on a cake, without him #Torchwood just looks drab. - Erm, we havent had any without him yet!

people keep saying move on guess what i moved on never from #Ianto love him too much for that, from #Torchwood i am done with it - Obviously not

i find its really amusing when suzie owen rhys rory came back from death it was story when turn for #Ianto then it undo dramaz? - Fair point, but very different scenarios

thatz the thing freaked (c)rusty & his minions, #ianto stole all the thunder from gwennie & jack - O course he did Cool

#Ianto Jones, still the heart and soul of Torchwood. Sadly, another week you still don't get the point at all

Thing is, despite the massive amount of noise thats being made it seems like a group of about 6 people think that if they moan continuously for 2 years then they will get their way. Its a shame, but I think they really are giving the character a bad name, especially when they send out abuse to anyone who dares say his name
Report Spam   Logged

mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 06:03:18 am »

I saw in some interviews from the writers in RTD's The Writer's Tale that Ianto was originally considered to take Owen's place in the series two resurrection story. The writers thought about writing out Rhys in series one but they thought that Gwen needed Rhys around, like Jack needed Ianto in order to have some life outside their work.  I wonder if there would have been as much protest if Ianto had been written out in series two instead, since Owen and Tosh's ultimate fate have been generally accepted as part of the story.

There was more than a year between 2008 and 2009 in which novels, audio plays and other media, including fanfiction, reinforced the Jack, Ianto and Gwen team setup. Then, fans were looking for more of Jack and Ianto, Gwen and Rhys in CoE and were disappointed by losing another team member. However, the reaction to Ianto's death by some viewers seems very out of proportion compared to how the rest of the incidents in Torchwood were received.  Jack has certainly had other relationships with people over the years, and Ianto wasn't the first or the last person he loved and respected.
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
BlueRose

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 07:45:15 pm »

I just intensely dislike the way his char has been made to be more important than Owen or Tosh. I still miss Tosh Sad Sad I was far more broken up over her death than Ianto's, but you don't see me handing out death threats to the writers like some of the loonies out there.
Report Spam   Logged
PandoricaPond
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten/Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 12:48:59 pm »

The link alone will make it clear that this is something I shared with twitter. Ignore the hash tags. This is basically how I feel about the whole thing.

http://tl.gd/7ad7ph

That's how I feel.
Report Spam   Logged

#Doctor: Amy was frightened. I was frightened. But we survived, you know, and the relief of it... And so she kissed me. #Rory: And you kissed her back. #Doctor: No, I kissed her mouth. #Rory: Funny.

#Companions; DOCTOR!!!

#Doctor: RUN!!!

#Doctor: Bowties are cool.

#Doctor: Fezzes are cool
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 11:15:08 pm »

Yeah, and now some Ianto fans are complaining on Twitter that Ianto is being bashed? That's nothing compared to the bashing some of the supporters of the save Ianto campaign have aimed at Gwen and even Jack for still being on the show.  Sad  I don't really hate Ianto, yet as I was watching the show again, I noticed he wasn't in it as much compared to the amount of fanfiction and blogs that have been written about him.

Gwen, Jack and Owen had the most stories centered around them in the first two seasons, with Tosh and Ianto usually supporting them.  In the third season they did have more scenes for Ianto, Rhys and Andy since they had lost Owen and Tosh. But Jack is still the main character of Torchwood and Gwen is the second in command, so they could very well build another team without Ianto being around.
Report Spam   Logged

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 03:17:14 pm »

Just my 2 pennies worth here. I only just got around to watching the whole of Torchwood & I really don't get the whole Ianto fuss. He irritated me beyond belief in Cyberwoman though he did improve after that. But I never really saw as much beyond the tea boy even after his part grew. I didn't even cry when he died - and I am a major crier. I bawled over Owen & Tosh - so much it hurt. But the show survived without them, it can survive without him. I do have some concerns about the shows future but his absence is not a factor at all.

Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 03:46:29 pm »

I agree with both the above posts. The **** Ianto fans seem to want to have it both ways. They cant spend their days slagging off any character and actor they like and then get uppety that someone has dared to speak about Ianto. Its ridiculous. Its been nearly two years now. They cant keep thinking that they are going to change the already written scripts of series 4 to get him included by having a moan on Twitter. Likewise, their empty threats about boycotting the series will worry nobody involved with the show. Unless they are some of the people who record what they are watching to find viewer numbers, then whether they watch or not will make no difference, and we all know that they will watch anyway, just so they can go on Twitter after each episode and say how rubbish it was without the teaboy
Report Spam   Logged
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 04:04:44 am »

If Ianto fans are going to be putting down the other characters, they're going to lose supporters for their cause; they can't expect everyone to like him as much as they do after using those tactics. Indeed, the show's Facebook page was already removing commenters who just went on there to demand Ianto back, since they weren't contributing to the discussion. James Moran had posted about those fans last year, saying they shouldn't be so aggressive if they want access to the writers and actors of Torchwood, but I'm not sure if they'd listen.
Report Spam   Logged

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 08:19:52 pm »

See, this is why I love this forum - sensible people!!

Ianto was a garbage character in S1, in S2 he got to be really funny & nobble Jack, then in CotE he got to be pretty cool then have a really touching death scene.
The end.

All these folk endlessly prattling on about it need to chill out/get laid or something - I just don't get it.
Is all the anger & hate because he was Jacks lover & he got killed? Or because he was an excellent character and got killed?
Or is it because the fella playing him went on to be an absolutely AWFUL Doctor Watson in a SyFy original movie?   Wink

I was saddened more when they killed Tosh, she was excellent.
Owen....dreadful actor IMO so I cheered both times he was killed! Plus he got to bed Louise Delamere & Gwen, so I hated Owen  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 09:02:19 pm »

Seems to be mostly because he was Jack's lover. I did like Owen, in part because he slept with Gwen, good times. XD He was king of the weevils too, awesome moment there. But Ianto, not so awesome; I just never saw the big deal with him.
Report Spam   Logged

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 12:55:29 am »

It really is such a shame that the character has been so tainted by the actions of the fans. I was never really bothered by the character either way and while I understand his popularity with certain fans, I really don't get the reaction his death had
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 01:22:02 pm »

Do you know I'm wondering if my lack of reaction to his death was because of all the stuff I've heard about the fans and the way some of them have been behaving. They go on & on about it being all emotional & Ianto being such a great character that I was expecting something way beyond what we got. Just occurred to me that perhaps those fans have sort of ruined Ianto for new Torchwood watchers - but then maybe it's just me. I'll be intrigued to see.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
BlueRose

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 03:46:46 pm »

See, this is why I love this forum - sensible people!!

Ianto was a garbage character in S1, in S2 he got to be really funny & nobble Jack, then in CotE he got to be pretty cool then have a really touching death scene.
The end.

This is very much how I see it too, nearly word for word.

I think people get hung up over him because he and Jack are canon slash, period. What really annoys me further are the ones who continually bash Gwen because they think she "gets in the way" of their ship. Given Jack isn't monogamous I fail to see their point, but whatever.
Report Spam   Logged
Amuro
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: 11th
Favourite Companion: Romana

Space Gandalf

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 11:23:28 am »

I never bought the Jack Ianto relationship as anything more than a fling. They didn't seem to have much chemistry and I never understood why Jack would love Ianto more than anyone else (to me it always seemed he had more intense feelings for Gwen). Pointless character deaths can be annoying, but Ianto's was very moving and essential to the gravitas of the story. Jack needed to be devastated by the events to really sell it's effect. I have no objection at all to the death and think that it was actually Ianto's best contribution to the story...

On an unrelated note, I once saw the actor who plays Ianto at the green man festival (sitting on the grass in front of me) with his girlfriend and they were with the actor who plays Gwen and her boyfriend (who had his face deliberately obscured - is he someone well known?). Nice to know they were really friends Smiley!
Report Spam   Logged

"After a while, everything is just stuff! That's the problem, you make the whole of space and time your backyard, and what do you have? A backyard. But you, you can see it. And when you see it, I see it."
Team Hotch
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Ten!
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack!

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 09:19:34 pm »

Finally found people who agree! I have a mate we actually met through a John Barrowman fan group and concerts and kept in touch. But shes totally boycotting RTD because he killed Ianto and says she'll watch future TW for Barrowman but nothing more. I'm sorry but its time to move on. I enjoyed seeing him and Jack together but thats about it. As a character he never did anything much and did get annoying at time.s
Report Spam   Logged

Hotch: "I'm the only thing standing between you and a bullet."
==

Hotch: "I'm Aaron Hotchner, Unit Chief... Get off my Crime scene!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: