The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 11:44:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart. Splendid Chap - all of him!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart. Splendid Chap - all of him!  (Read 791 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: August 31, 2010, 11:43:44 pm »

I have to confess to a certain duality here. I never was entirely comfortable with the Doctor cosying up to the military. But if you are going to have UNIT, then friends I give to you Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge Stewart. Who else could pull off a false moustache with such aplomb. Whenever we try and explain our favourite Doctor (and generally we can't cos we love each one differently) it is to the Brig we turn "Splendid Chap - All of them!" I loved his little perplexed look after Jon Pertwee had explained how guns wouldn't kill this lot of invading aliens. The cry of 'Benton' when all else failed and (my own personal favourite), "Liberty Hall Doctor Tyler, Liberty Hall" - two taps of the swagger stick and exit stage left! Whenever the Brig returned you always had a little smile and the world felt a warmer place! The wry smile, the British stiff upper lip, the almost homicidal urge to shoot anything that looked vaguely alien. All played with a little twinkle in the eye by the wonderful Nicholas Courtney - a real gentleman and a fine actor. There may have been better guest stars but can there have been a more enduring relationship than the gentle bickering between the Doctor and the Brig? Chap with the wings - 5 rounds rapid! 
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:07:19 pm »

I love the Brig. When he turned up in SJA I did a big squee. More than when Tennant showed up. Its a shame he got less usage towards the end of the classic series, but in honesty I preferred him during the very early years. I liked when he was a bit more standoffish and questioning of the Doctor and the world he found himself in.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:10:23 pm »

Oh Chris, The Sarah Jane Adventures may make you cry Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 10:10:56 pm »

I see you have picked a photo of him with his moustache at a slightly rakish angle. I applaud this choice.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 10:12:33 pm »

Sleekituk - I was on the verge of tears in Battlefield when I thought he was a gonner! Don't tell me there is more angst for me! I will say, finding out that The Brig is in SJA has sealed the deal. I'm ordering some DVDs Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 10:14:51 pm »

I see you have picked a photo of him with his moustache at a slightly rakish angle. I applaud this choice.

Actually that was me - didn't really notice that about the tache - was just the best pic I could find  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 10:20:28 pm »

Poprockgeek it is a brilliant photo - I promise the Moustache observation wasn't meant nastily. Every commentary I hear with Nic Courtney and Katy Manning (esp 3 Docs) they make a point of mentioning it Smiley So i thought your choice was particularly good Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:21:01 pm »

I feel that the Brig is adequately summed up as "squee". Loved every old school ep with him in it, loved his return on SJA.
Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 10:36:40 pm »

Poprockgeek it is a brilliant photo - I promise the Moustache observation wasn't meant nastily. Every commentary I hear with Nic Courtney and Katy Manning (esp 3 Docs) they make a point of mentioning it Smiley So i thought your choice was particularly good Smiley

I didn't take it nastily honest. My point was I didn't really think that much about the angle of it rakish or otherwise. Also being a relative newcomer to the Whoniverse I didn't know that the tache was important so it's actually a miracle I scored so well with my first choice!!!  Tongue

And thanks for liking it   Wink
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 11:54:10 pm »

Great character. And a great actor too. It would be so easy to portray him as a mindless military buffoon, but Nicholas Courtney always managed to inject a little warmth and make him believable and likeable - even when he's shooting at / blowing up everything in sight, and saying he's just "following orders".

And I loved the way that, however much evidence he saw over the years, he never quite seemed to believe the Doctor was everything he said he was.

"I'm pretty sure that's Cromer..."

Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: