The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 12:57:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Title Music

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Title Music  (Read 466 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: August 31, 2010, 11:55:50 pm »

What is your favourite version of the title music/sequence. The somber Hartnell/Troughton (which I think actually had a lovely ethereal quality about it)? Pertwee's wobbly red lines? The classic Baker look? The beautiful widescreen compatible RTD titles or the Moff's latest funky music? Heck, I'll even fess up to liking the Tangerine Dream tribute that we saw in Trial of a Timelord? However, personally, I think Chrome tubework, a star-field, a smiling Doctor revealed by a venetian blind effect and a disco tune adapted by Peter Howells wasn't broke and I don't know why they tampered with it!

Just to let you know a video of all The Doctor's themes has now been added by Dame Roger at the top of page 2 - take a listen - from poprockgeek
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:59:30 pm »

I love the very original theme tune from 1963, but my favourite has to be the second RTD version. I just love the beat of it.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 12:02:25 am »

Randomly for someone who's mainly only seen new Who - I'm going to say my favourite version of theme so far is the original 1963 theme - it's quite simple & pure. I just loved it the moment I heard it. I've got lots of Who to watch though so I may be back to revise this!!!
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:05:54 am »

But the 1980s one had a lovely thumpty thump beat and that Chrome writing. I spent years trying to do that before realising I couldn't and had to trace it instead!
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:20:29 am »

I'm sure I will love that too - I do love things 80s - just got to get there  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
steve5424
Hatchling

View Profile
Level 2 Second year Anniversary Level 1
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:54:35 pm »

I would say my fav is the 7th doctor theme and opening credits. Mainly as that was the one I watched most when I was younger but also the 5th doctors theme and titles :-)
Report Spam   Logged
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 05:18:04 pm »

Davison's, without a doubt.
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:01:25 pm »

The original 1963 followed by the Voyage of the Damned theme.

ps really don't like the new one - get rid of the lightening and the synth sounds please and ramp up the durr durr durr durrs

Grin

pps sorry Murray - love you!
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
BlueRose

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 10:12:53 pm »

ps really don't like the new one - get rid of the lightening and the synth sounds please and ramp up the durr durr durr durrs

Grin

pps sorry Murray - love you!

Honestly, when I first saw the new title sequence, I cringed/facepalmed/laughed.

I found it THAT bad. It's so over the top, stupid, inane...
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:48:00 pm »

I always think with Who title sequences 'Less is More'. Look at the brilliant ones and look at the not so good. The RTD title screen - actually very simple. My personal fave the Last Season Baker/First season Davison - extremely stripped down. This new sequence looks like a website where they have found lots of buttons and things on dreamweaver and want to use them all!
Report Spam   Logged

Who-ever8
Hatchling

View Profile
Level 2 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 01:23:39 am »

My favorite?  Jon Pertwee's second one (the version from 1974, not the one-episode only version that was just off the wall).  Sylvester McCoy's and Matt Smith's would be my second and third choices, though.  And there is indeed a simple charm in Patrick Troughton's that I enjoy as well.
Report Spam   Logged
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 10:01:15 pm »

I like Sylvester's Doctor, but found the wink a little creepy tbh.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 10:02:46 pm »

I'm really biased towards the fourth Doctors theme, since Tom Baker is the first Doctor I remember watching.
But Paul McGanns eighth Doctor TV movie theme is a close second, followed by Matt Smith in third.
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 11:05:38 pm »

Five, Fivety, Five, Five Five!!

Lol

I really don't like the new credits, but I must confess - the new theme is pretty rocking IF you have the bass cranked up right.

For New Who I'm gonna go with the Xmas Invasion for one reason - they used the "middle eight" on the end credits.
Total Nerdgasm there. Loved hearing it with a big band.

However, I think that when you listen to the cd of the TV Movie OST & you get the Skaro drums intro (minus dialogue) into the theme by John Debney, it can still deliver the goosebumps as soon as the Middle Eight hits.

I'm also gonna throw in a nod to Sylvester's intro for pure unadulterated CHEESE, the smarties in space look & the fact it sets off my Spidey-sense of childhood memories (Greatest Show in the Galaxy - brilliant.)
Report Spam   Logged

Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 08:50:05 am »

However, I think that when you listen to the cd of the TV Movie OST & you get the Skaro drums intro (minus dialogue) into the theme by John Debney, it can still deliver the goosebumps as soon as the Middle Eight hits.

There's a soundtrack for the TV movie?! Total nerdgasm alert! How come I didn't know about this?! haha
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
awkward91
Tin Dog
Favourite Companion: Amy

View Profile
Poll Voter Level 3 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 11:37:42 am »

Sorry, did you say Voyage of the Damned? There's a reason they retuned that after just one episode you know; cos it was AWFUL.

I always thought the theme as it was used in series 2 and 3 was pretty much perfect, and I love the new version too (although it was a bit of a culture shock at first), despite it being a shame we only got the middle eight once. I like the next time trailers with no music, maybe the end credits should take the sting straight into the middle eight if there's a trailer before them?
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes impossible things happen and we call them miracles...
ciaramil
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Ten
Favourite Companion: Rose Tyler

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 03:39:45 pm »

I'm a fan of the RTD version really... Both the theme and the music were great, as in, I just loved the feel of it... I don't like the new one though, the music isn't the best. And trust me, I'm not putting Murray Gold down because some of his music is great, I just don't like the latest theme tune. I also hate the new theme... I was never one for the whole DW looking like a Tardis type thing... =/
Report Spam   Logged

"Even if I change it still feels like dying. Everything I am dies. Some new man goes sauntering away... And I'm dead." ~ Tenth Doctor (End of Time)
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 04:09:45 pm »

Slight aside here but bear with me I need your thoughts.

I've been looking for a video to put at the top of this feed that would allow people to hear the various themes (and see the titles) from over the years. I found one on YouTube yesterday that seems to have everything except the 2010 theme. I'll keep looking but I thought that might do for now as I'm guessing most of us know the current theme - your thoughts?
Report Spam   Logged

Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 08:43:42 pm »

Peter Howell's theme for me, with the sonic boom at the end is just epic.  Obviously, Delia Derbyshire's original is amazing given how it was put together.

I don't really dislike any of them, to be honest.
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 09:02:49 pm »

Slight aside here but bear with me I need your thoughts.

I've been looking for a video to put at the top of this feed that would allow people to hear the various themes (and see the titles) from over the years. I found one on YouTube yesterday that seems to have everything except the 2010 theme. I'll keep looking but I thought that might do for now as I'm guessing most of us know the current theme - your thoughts?

I say go for it. If you have one with the themes for the first 10 Doctor's, you should use it. At least until you can fimd one with 11's theme included Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: