The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 10:19:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The History Of Doctor Who

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The History Of Doctor Who  (Read 788 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: November 22, 2010, 06:54:16 pm »

The very first episode of Doctor Who aired on BBC television at 17:15 on 23 November 1963. In the first episode we were introduced to the Doctor, his grandaughter Susan and school teachers Ian Chesterton and Barabara Wright who were soon to become his travelling companions. Sydney Newman, who was Head Of Drama at the time was mainly responsible for developing the programme, while Verity Lambert was brought on board as producer. William Hartnell was cast in the role of the Doctor while Carol Ann Ford, William Russell and Jaqueline Hill made up the rest of the cast.

The programme was originally intended to appeal to family audiences and was seen as a vehicle for teaching children about science and history, though this changed considerably over the years as historical stories were seen as less popular and so became less used in favour of the futuristic and alien themed stories. It wasn't until the show returned in 2005 after its cancellation that a greater emphasis was put back into telling stories set during Earth's history.

Throughout the years the cast changed enormously and the show was produced, directed, written and run by many different and outstanding people, though despite all the changes both in front and behind the camera, the programme continued to be made by the BBC drama department's for 26 series before it's initial 'suspension' in 1989. Fans were outraged at the BBC's 'agenda' to get rid of one of Britains most loved shows, especially after the adventures of the newest Doctor, the seventh at the time, had seen the show start to increase its viewership with many fans feeling that the writing, acting and production was better than it had been in years. Despite the protests, episode 3 of Survival on December 6th 1989 marked the last regular episode of Doctor Who for nearly 16 years.

Despite the initial cancellation, rumours were rife for a long time that the BBC was eager to bring Doctor Who back in some form and negotiations were taking place behind the scenes for a long time before fans were rewarded with the news that the BBC, BBC Worldwide, Universal Television and Fox were working together on a television movie which would act as a pilot in the hopes of bringing around a new American co produced television series. Paul McGann was cast in the role of the Eighth Doctor and the movie finally hit screens in 1996. Despite being a ratings success in the UK, it didnt fair so well in the US and no further series materialised.

It seemed for many that all hope was lost until one fateful day in September 2003 when BBC Television announced the in-house production of a new series after several years of unsuccessful attempts by BBC Worldwide to find backing for a feature film version. The executive producers of the new incarnation of the series were writer Russell T Davies and BBC Cymru Wales Head of Drama Julie Gardner. Understandably, fans were exstatic.

Doctor Who finally returned to our screens with over 9 million viewers with the episode "Rose" on BBC One on Saturday 26th March 2005. Since then the show has seen three new incarnations of the Doctor and gone from strenth to strenth, picking up new viewers each year with 4 full series and a group of specials already aired, a sixth series currently filming and a seventh already commisioned. It takes home bags of awards each year and is one of the most critically revered shows in the world, currently broadcasting on over 50 countries around the globe.

This week the show celebrates it's 47th anniversary. 47 years of Doctors. 47 years of companions. 47 years of villains, aliens, friends, planets, adventures and above all, 47 years of some of the greatest episodes of television ever made. This new forum is a celebration of Doctor Who, so help us celebrate by posting away with all your favourite memories from the show.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 10:26:32 pm »

*Raises a glass*

Here's to the next 47 Smiley

This place looks great. You mods have outdone yourselves.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:06:08 am »

Doc you've outdone yourself. Smiley

Happy Birthday Doctor Who Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 01:19:31 pm »

Happy Birthday Doctor Who, here's to another 47 years!! Grin
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 02:41:35 pm »

*raises glass* heres to at least 53 more years  Grin

Happy Birthday Doctor Who!!!
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 05:19:51 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 06:40:32 pm »

Some great threads in here. Well done to all and Happy Birthday to Doctor Who Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 07:09:10 pm »

Really, all the credit belongs to The Doc. He worked his butt off in here yesterday and its turned out brilliantly. So a MASSIVE Happy Birthday to Doctor Who and a big well done to the Doc Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 08:05:47 pm »

Happy Birthday Doctor Who Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 08:09:01 pm »

Happy Birthday Doctor Who  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 09:04:45 pm »

Huge Happy Birthday to the best show in the universe. Long may it continue Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 06:28:39 pm »

Such a shame I missed all the goings on yesterday. I didnt even know it was the anniversary and I was tied up elsewhere. Its belated, but

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOCTOR WHO
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 04:49:00 pm »

Can't believe that nobody commented on 4 or 6. Six isnt so surprising but the way people go on about Tom Baker I would have thought there would have been some fans here
Report Spam   Logged

MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 05:07:20 pm »

For some reason I didn't think we could post in this thread  Undecided

Brillant job Doc. The best trip down memory lane I've had in a long time Cool

Haven't got round to commenting in all the threads yet but I will. Trying to find the right words for 8 and to a degree 4 Shocked  Wink

Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 05:14:21 am »

It baffles me that Doctor Who has lasted so long and that I, nor my parents, had ever heard of it until a few years ago.

The show is just one big accident isn't it? It would've only gotten 4 episodes if not for the Daleks which more than quadrupled that number, and Tom Baker's scarf was just a mistake because nobody thought to specify the requirements. I love Doctor Who, and I can't wait for the 50th anniversary next year. I'm hoping that American Whovians will be in for near as great a treat as those who live in Britain- I'm sure they'll be rioting over there.
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: