The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 18, 2024, 10:03:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

A Tribute To The First Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Tribute To The First Doctor  (Read 221 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: November 22, 2010, 08:16:25 pm »

Tenure: 1963-1966
Stories: 29
Episodes: 134
Companions: Susan, Barbara, Ian, Vicki, Steven, Katerina, Sara, Dodo, Ben, Polly

From the beginning, the First Doctor was a mysterious figure. He appeared to be a frail old man, despite the eventual revelation that he was actually the youngest of the Doctor's incarnations, and yet was possessed of unexpected reserves of strength and will. He obviously held tremendous knowledge of scientific matters, and yet was unable to pilot his TARDIS time ship reliably; his granddaughter Susan explained this by saying that her grandfather was "a bit forgetful". He was abrasive, patronising, and cantankerous towards his human travelling companions, yet shared a deep emotional bond with his granddaughter Susan. He also harboured a streak of ruthlessness, being willing to lie — and in one case attempt to kill — to achieve his goals. Initially, he distrusted his first two human companions, Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright, who were forced on him. Over time, however, as they shared adventures together, he grew closer to them, and the TARDIS crew came to share almost a family bond.

Eventually, the Doctor began to enjoy his travels through time and space, taking people along for the ride and was always reluctant and sad to see them go, even when he knew it was for their own good. The Doctor's personality mellowed around the time of the serial Marco Polo, and he evolved into the more familiar grandfatherly figure that children loved.

It was also during this time that the Doctor first met what would become his most persistent adversaries — the Daleks and the Cybermen. It would be the latter encounter that would see the Doctor first regenerate; stating "This old body of mine's wearing a bit thin," he collapsed at the end of the serial, regenerating inside the TARDIS into the Second Doctor.

Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:16:47 am »

I love the First Doctor. He misses out on so much recognition but he totally set the bar for the character and the show. He was totally different to every Doctor that has come since and deserves much higher placings in polls than he gets normally
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 12:13:33 am »

Much as I love later Doctors, there's part of me that still regards Hartnell as the "real" Doctor.  It was a brilliant characterisation, going from grumpy, even unpleasant, to utterly charming in seconds.  Although perhaps the least comic of the Doctors, he handled humour wonderfully, and even had the Doctor's only on-screen romance till McGann.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 09:07:55 pm »

I always feel bad that I havent made more effort to go back to the very beginning and watch. Ive heard so many mixed reactions to the first Doctors character but one thing that everyone seems to agree on is how good William Hartnell was in the role. I shall make it my new years resolution to go right back to the beginning and experience this Doctor properly
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 02:34:43 pm »

Much as I love later Doctors, there's part of me that still regards Hartnell as the "real" Doctor.  It was a brilliant characterisation, going from grumpy, even unpleasant, to utterly charming in seconds.  Although perhaps the least comic of the Doctors, he handled humour wonderfully, and even had the Doctor's only on-screen romance till McGann.

Have to admit I have a high regard for Hartnell too. He wasn't able to break the mould but he certainly set a presidence as to how the role was to be played in the future.

In my minds eye - no matter which incarnation I'm watching you are never allowed to forget his influence Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 11:39:42 am »

I agree. I love the First Doctor. When I first watched him I was so unsure, but as his character grew and softened I thought he was brilliant and he is one of my favourite Doctors now
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 04:51:13 am »

I wasn't so sure at first, but the more and more I think about it, the more I realize how amazing an actor Hartnell was. His performance is so well done, it seems seamless and easy just as the graceful ice skater. Looking at his other army movies, you would be shocked that this is the same man. That's when I realized how truly important it was that Hartnell always be on his top-game. And he was, he carried the show often and it's sad that the later stories tried to push him out of the plots.
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: