The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 18, 2024, 10:17:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

A Tribute To The Fourth Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Tribute To The Fourth Doctor  (Read 239 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: January 05, 2011, 02:55:24 pm »

It is difficult to overstate how immense the figure of Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor looms in the Whoniverse. Prior to the 2005 incarnation of Who he was, without exception, the winner in any poll to choose the best/favourite Doctor. He took a show that was always a ratings success and made it even bigger. His larger than life personality dominated the show for 7 years and IMHO he was magnificent as the Doctor.

His three first seasons coincided with the arrival of Philip Hinchcliffe as Producer and Robert Holmes as Script Editor and this period is still regarded as the gold standard of all Who. The highest praise I can give an episode is 'It was like an episode from Hinchcliffe/Holmes era'. Of all things instrumental to their success, without doubt the key was the simply blistering performance by Tom Baker. The Fourth Doctor was my first Doctor. He was a larger than life, funny, passionate and brilliant. He captured the alien nature of the time lord and brought fury to the persona of the Doctor.

Sure, towards the end of his time he had slipped a little into self parody. One got the impression that as much as he needed the show, by the end he was bored of it. Perhaps he stayed a season to long (though some of those final stories rank amongst my favourites). However, I could not let this opportunity pass without speaking up in honour of the first real mega star of Doctor Who. Other Doctors might have different virtues but there is no denying that Tom Baker was a perfect fit in the role and I salute the sheer awesomeness of the Fourth Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: