The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 04:14:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

A Tribute To The People Behind The Scenes

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Tribute To The People Behind The Scenes  (Read 220 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: November 22, 2010, 10:13:50 pm »

For 47 years we have been entertained by the great stories, acting, music, writing, special effects and production that goes into making every single episode of Doctor Who. From the very first days with Sydney Newman and Verity Lambert through to Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat, passing John Nathan Turner, Barry Letts, Terrence Dicks and everyone in between, share your favourites here. Writers, composers, producers, anyone you think deserves a nod or special mention, then post away in here.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 02:44:53 pm »

*raises glass to everyone involved*

I think there are too many amazing people to mention them all, so I am going to raise my glass to all the ones who get forgotten.

*raises glass to the model and art department, the special effects department, the runners and drivers, the cleaners, the set designers, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd ADs and all the other random people involved on set*

*raises a glass to the caterers because we all know everything would have gone downhill without them and coffee*
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 02:45:38 pm »

*raises glass to the editors because they do an amazing job and it must be tedious sometimes*
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 07:47:05 pm »

Yay writers and crew!!!!!  Without them, we would have no show to obsess over Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 01:28:34 pm »

*raises glass to everyone involved*

I think there are too many amazing people to mention them all, so I am going to raise my glass to all the ones who get forgotten.

*raises glass to the model and art department, the special effects department, the runners and drivers, the cleaners, the set designers, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd ADs and all the other random people involved on set*

*raises a glass to the caterers because we all know everything would have gone downhill without them and coffee*

Hear!Hear! Raises glass and......................DRINKS Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 05:05:22 pm »

Raises separate glasses to each of them Cool

I value each and every person involved, from producer to floor-sweeper, but as a writer probably the writers most of all.  For me, pride of place has to go to the great Robert Holmes - The Krotons, The Space Pirates, Spearhead from Space, Terror of the Autons, Carnival of Monsters, The Time Warrior, The Ark in Space, Pyramids of Mars, Brain of Morbius, The Deadly Assassin, Talons of Weng-Chiang, The Sun Makers, The Ribos Operation, The Power of Kroll, Caves of Androzani, The Two Doctors, The Mysterious Planet, The Ultimate Foe - inventing the Autons and the Sontarans on the way.
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 02:07:36 am »

Thought I'd let someone else toast the writers Wink

As I want to be a (paid) writer and director I thought I would show appreciation for all the people I want to work with Grin
Report Spam   Logged

??Cheeses + rising!
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 02:17:03 pm »

It has become fashionable over the last few years (in certain corners of fandom) to diminish and play down the role of my particular hero but I would invite you to take time to salute the wonderful, peerless Terrance Dicks, my own personal hero of the Dr Who backroom staff.

It is easy, in these times of iPlayer and DVDs to forget that for the first 25 years of Dr Who, you generally got one chance to see the story and that was it. The only way we could remember the stories and get a feel for them was via the Target novelisations - for that alone, Terry Dicks should be lionised and honoured. He was a writer who could take even the most obtuse of stories, give it a literary polish and turn out a readable and enjoyable book. For those books provided the literary backdrop of my love of the Doctor. Simply put, Terrance Dicks gave me and enormous slice of my childhood.

On a broader theme, it is hard to think of anyone else who has had so much to contribute to the Whoniverse. Writer, Script Editor, Author, Commentator. For me this man was for many years the heart and soul of Dr Who. With his able and equally gifted friend, Barry Letts, they shaped the Pertwee era (so often overlooked) which was home to some all time great episodes (Terror of the Autons - admittedly penned by Bob Holmes - and The Daemons stand up against any episode of any era).

He never had the gothic flair of a Robert Holmes nor the dramatic punch of an Eric Saward but he was a highly skilled story teller and generally, if a story was written by Dicks then you knew it carried a certain guarantee of quality. The plot would hang together, the characters would be solid and believable and the Doctor would be front and centre.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the amazing Terrance Dicks
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 02:26:03 pm »

*chinks glass* Great man!
Report Spam   Logged

??Cheeses + rising!
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 03:08:12 pm »

I couldn't agree more with Chris' comment. Too often undersung but one of the most deserving of praise
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: