The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:42:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Is it time to get over Ianto?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it time to get over Ianto?  (Read 435 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: September 01, 2010, 12:16:03 pm »

I know he was a great character, and loved by many, but is it time to let him go and move on?

So many people have sent messages to me via the site and twitter saying they wont be watching the new series unless he rises from the dead, and one girl even went crazy calling me names because I dared to mention him in an article relating to series 4. I know fan reaction can be strong, and when you like a character you want them to survive and grow and carry on, but it is time people stopped treating it as if RTD actually killed a real person?
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 12:59:38 pm »

I think personally it is time to get over Ianto... His character only grew on me after Owen died, so I can't say he was my favourite character of all time.
If you think back to S1 of Torchwood, Ianto didn't really have a major role until E4- Cyberwoman, and we saw him grow and develop from then, but at the same time Owen and Tosh were fairly major characters from the start, yet there wasn't such an emotional response from their deaths, we let Tosh and Owen go, and I think that we should do that to Ianto. I mean afterall it's like in Doctor Who, when the companions leave, we move on and accept change.

Back in April I went to Cardiff for a week with my dad, and I was just showing him where the Torchwood "tourist entrance" was, and I noticed all these pictures, letters, poems etc to Ianto attatched to the grill that covers the door/window. I mean it was about 9 months after Children of the Earth aired, so they may have been there a long time, but in my opinion that is an overreaction to a fictional character's death...

Ok, I may sound really harsh here, but any opinion is welcome right? I think it isn't fair to say that you're not going to watch S4 of Torchwood just because one character isn't in it... you should always give people a chance as well as new things, so who knows, there may be a new character in S4 that everyone comes to like. I recall that Gareth David-Lloyd too said that he was ready to move on from Ianto, and fans should move on too.
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 02:32:22 pm »

Ok, so obviously I am a Ianto fan...

But I would never stop watching a show because a character died!

I thought he was great and loved his character, his humour, the Jack relationship etc

I am also happy that we saw his conclusion. I do think that he had got to all the stages in his life we wanted to see and it was him time to exit. Others didnt get that.

So, yes, yes it is time to get over Ianto.
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 02:44:33 pm »

I remember a similar feeling in a large part of the fandom after CoE was announced without Owen and Tosh being part of it, and look how much more successful that was in the end.  It is sad to lose a favourite character, but in the Whoniverse it's part of the course and there are always new characters to fall in love with instead  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
BlueRose

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 03:12:48 pm »

Long overdue, IMHO. I never got the fanaticism people had towards him, and was more devastated over Tosh and Owen's death, and yet everyone's forgotten them both it seems.
Report Spam   Logged
Seren_y_Gogledd
Easily Exterminated

View Profile
Level 3 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 05:49:16 pm »

Yes, it's time. Sure, some characters can come back from the dead, but do it too often and losing a character stops being affecting, you start expecting them to come back. Although, if he was brought back like that one character in 8-bit Theater...
Report Spam   Logged

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron, Final Fantasy X
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 11:22:13 pm »

One of the great things I love about another TV show, Spooks (Mi5 for those in the US) is that they are not afraid to pop-off a main character AND at any time during the series. It really adds to the tension of a story that at any time the homicidal writers might wipe out a couple of the main cast. The fact that Ianto did die made CoE and his character all the more brilliant because I was expecting a last minute solution and there wasn't one (this is something that I think Dr Who could learn from - lets start wiping out a few assistants. Lets have one season where the Doc goes through 3 or 4 companions).
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 11:51:40 pm »

God yes!

We've had some good twitter laughs over this, haven't we?

Still need to head on down to Mensa HQ to set up the Shrine to Adric  Wink

There are some right scary obsessives out there - not just for Ianto either. I used to talk a lot with the guy who runs Kryptonsite & some insane girl started bombarding us with hate messages on twitter because we didn't like Callum Blue's acting as Zod (it's pretty woeful, btw Grin). I wonder how she's keeping......

I get that he was cool in most of S2, but he didn't do much in S1 at all really (that I recall at least) and CotE needed something like that to get you with the nut punch such an event show needed. Seeing Jack run about in the scud yet again wasn't gonna cut it. (anyway, when's Gwen gonna do that?!!)

I liked Ianto, but he should be left as a deceased former agent like the others, he had an awesome, awesome death scene to be proud of, then went off & did some dodgy Sherlock Holmes movie for SyFy or that!
Report Spam   Logged

mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten, Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
Level 5 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 08:50:16 pm »

I'd say it is, especially since the big CoE events had divided the fans even more than they were previously, even at the expense of the other characters.  I hadn't thought much about him before CoE, just as one of the team members, and suddenly he became the most important character, based on the fan reaction after it was shown.  I spent the most time identifying with Gwen for my writing, but I never put down the characters that others liked the most.  I do tend to like all the main characters that are put on Doctor Who and the spin-off shows, but I missed Owen and Tosh the most.
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
GreenLemons
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 07:20:14 pm »

No. *grin*
Report Spam   Logged

Beans are evil. Bad, bad beans.
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 06:18:44 pm »

I love Ianto, but jeez!!!!! Some people are so weird about the fact he died. Like no other character in a show was killed off before. Even scifi and fantasy shows need to reflect life to soe degree, and in life people die. Its not always nice, but it happened. Gareth David Lloyd has never seemed bitter about it, so why does everyone else?
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 09:10:00 pm »

Well said, that man!

I love Ianto, but it really is time to move on. I see some people on Twitter and their feeds are constantly filled with @'s to Starz and the BBC saying how they will boycott the show if he isnt ressurrected and one even shouted at me for mentioning him in an article relating to series 4. When it gets to a point where you are abusing someone for mentioning his name, there is a serious issue if you ask me
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 11:31:00 pm »

I didn't know it was that bad Shocked  Here's what writer John Fay had to say recently about killing Ianto off:

“In my mind, I was always aware that Jack had gone through this situation many times before, and that was really interesting to me. How do you have a relationship and fall in love with someone when you know – absolutely know – you will be around to see them die?

“That’s a real tragedy that Jack has to carry around with him, as well as a fascinating weight to hang around a character’s shoulders.”

“Russell wanted that to happen, although they are my words,” he said. “It was absolutely the right thing to do though from the point of view of the story and what it gave to the last episode.

“The strength of Torchwood and Russell’s vision is that you don’t know the heroes are going to survive. That’s been well established now!

“That adds a sense of jeopardy to the show which leaves everyone wondering what will happen next.”

Source (Contains spoilers for S4)

I think that sums it up pretty well.
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 02:16:18 am »

Yes.
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 06:38:02 pm »

I put that article on the site last week and got a few abusive tweets. I dont even bother replying anymore though
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 09:04:11 am »

Long overdue, IMHO. I never got the fanaticism people had towards him, and was more devastated over Tosh and Owen's death, and yet everyone's forgotten them both it seems.

This!

Tosh and Owen were so quickly overlooked it was unreal. They were both more valuable to the team, and played a much bigger part in the overall show for the first two years. I liked Ianto dont get me wrong, but the mass teabag mailing to the BBC made fandom look (more) insane.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 12:28:07 am »

The fandom has done good though, like raising money for Children in Need in memory of Ianto. I mean, its raised over 15k....

http://www.justgiving.com/iantojones/
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 12:30:28 am »

I couldn't get emotionally involved with Tosh or Owen and I think it is because we didnt see enough of their emotional side, yeah we saw bits, but they were rarely open enough and there wasn't enough of it...

The Ianto/Jack and Gwen/Rhys relationships are constant, there and quite easy to bond with, but the others had quite a closed off side...
Report Spam   Logged

??Cheeses + rising!
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 08:46:40 am »

I agree with you to an extent with Owen, but Tosh had lots of emotion filled scenes. Her main storyline was a big unrequited love story and she fell in lust with anyone who showed her interest (Tommy, Mary). Her upset over the Suzie storyline and the peeks into her personal life made for a much more emotional story than Ianto for example. We had him acting like a **** over Lisa and then dying 2 years later. That was about it
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 12:07:03 pm »

God, yes!!!

I don't understand the reaction over Ianto's death. Sure, he was a great character: they all were. And sure, his death scene was brilliant. But for crying out loud, he was a fictional character.

Personally, I grieved more over Owen and Tosh's deaths more than I did Ianto's. I'm gonna miss him, but at the same time, I've gotten over it, and I know there will be new characters to fall in love with.

Move On, people. GDL did, and so did I
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: